On a lcd tv what does refresh rate mean.

yorkie13, Dec 27, 2:01am
and what is a good rate!. thanks.

gyrogearloose, Dec 27, 2:40am
To describe this as simply as possible, the refresh rate is how often the picture is painted on the screen. If the refresh rate is too low, the human eye can see this as an annoying flicker.

Televisions use a multiple of the mains power supply frequency, and I think your only choices will be 50 hertz (50 times per second), 100 hertz, 150 hertz or 200 hertz with 200 hertz being the best of these options. You might not find any new LCD televisions at 50 hertz.

As an aside, you might have seen that "The Hobbit" 3D version is being released at 48 frames per second requiring cinema's to upgrade from their older 24 frames per second equipment. My understanding of the cinema projectors is that they have a shutter in front of the lens that blinks 3 times per frame, so the effective refresh rate (= how often the picture is painted on the screen) is 3 times the frames per second = 144 hertz.

vtecintegra, Dec 27, 2:47am
That only applies to film projection equipment which will only ever run at 24fps (which is 48 or 72Hz depending on the equipment).

Modern digital gear works differently.

vtecintegra, Dec 27, 2:47am
e. hmm maybe not

wheelmann, Dec 27, 3:00am
The refresh rate is only as good as the input signal isn't it! A blu ray is what, 60 hz!

vtecintegra, Dec 27, 3:02am
Bluray is usually 24fps

yorkie13, Dec 27, 3:24am
we've been looking at the Veon tv at the warehouse @ $399. and the samsung 40" at jb hifi. jb says a refresh rate of 50. the veon doesn't state the refresh just the response time. so we're a bit confused. we want to buy a telly while the sales are on. much appreciate your feedback.

vtecintegra, Dec 27, 3:41am
I'd go with the Samsung. Note it probably only has 2 HDMI ports so make sure that's enough for you

juliew3, Dec 27, 3:45am
They are different things, and I think they do this to confuse people. 50HZ is the regular rate. You canget TVs that go faster, such as 100or 200hz, but then the pictures suffer from the soap opera effect, and movies can look like they have been shot on home video cameras.I have that feature turned off, so it is running at 50Hz anyway. Go for a brand TV, such as sony or panasonic, as they rate best for reliability in consumer.

vtecintegra, Dec 27, 4:06am
That effect is caused by the refresh rate as such, but rather the interpolation those sets use (called motion flow or similar). IIRC if you turn off interpolation your set is still running at 100Hz it just doesn't have the 'soap opera' effect

gj, Dec 27, 4:07am
These factors are only one of several which affect the picture quality - and even in the Samsung range there are at least 4 different 40" models with quite different specs. To make an informed decision you really need to compare and see the difference. Don't pay for features you don't need but get the best you can afford. In my experience Samsung, Panasonic or LG are the best brands, but there are many models within each.

vtecintegra, Dec 27, 4:09am
I'm assuming they mean the cheapest one (as the other option is a Warehouse model)

gyrogearloose, Dec 27, 4:46am
I haven't seen enough blu-ray to agree if that's usual, but I understand the specification allows up to 60fps.

mattnzw, Dec 27, 5:42am
Movies are only shot at about 24 FPS though, so it isn't that important at the moment. The hobbit however was shot at 48fps. So that means blurays may allow for these new higher frame rate movies in the future, but they will at least double the space used on the disk, so they maybe higher compressed.

gyrogearloose, Dec 27, 6:01am
No, I'm asserting that blu-rays already allow up to 60fps within the existing specification, it's already perfectly feasible to release the Hobbit 3D on blu-ray without higher compression, although it could be 2 or 3 disks because of the 'extra features'.

vtecintegra, Dec 27, 6:27am
Pretty sure you can't go over 30fps on 1080p anyway

gyrogearloose, Dec 27, 10:58am
Of course you can, there's a whole range from 1080p24, 1080p25, 1080p30, 1080p50 and 1080p60 (60 frames per second).

But the frame rate of the video content isn't what the thread was about - if I was buying a television today it's highly likely it would have a refresh rate of 200 hertz.

geminidragon, Dec 27, 7:45pm
what does wiselink do on a samsung full hdtv do please

willfam, Dec 27, 9:14pm
we may be talking about completely different things here. But I run my PC display at 120Hz/ "fps" at 3400x1920 resolution.

vtecintegra, Dec 27, 9:16pm
I meant per the bluray specification

willfam, Dec 27, 9:17pm
http://lmgtfy.com/!q=what+is+wiselink

Lets you plus a USB device into your TV and play music/video on it. supports MPEG1, MPEG2 PS/TS and MPEG4/H.264.

If you have a PC connected to your tv, such as a home fileserver, you don't need this.

willfam, Dec 27, 9:17pm
http://lmgtfy.com/!q=what+is+wiselink

Lets you plug a USB device into your TV and play music/video on it. supports MPEG1, MPEG2 PS/TS and MPEG4/H.264.

If you have a PC connected to your tv, such as a home fileserver, you don't need this.

yorkie13, Dec 27, 9:28pm
thanks everybody, in the end we went for the samsung. took us ages to browse all the info and even longer to figure out what it all meant. cheers again.

trevenco, Dec 28, 3:52am
Good job that you went for the proven samsung tv. Not to slag off the whare but seriously! I would never even look there for a tv. You just don't get QUALITY tvs there. I'm sure someone bought one and they swear by it, but I say they probably don't know the difference between quality and shit. It has a picture and sound therefore it's good. Lmao at those people.
Good job getting the better tv.

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)