My Best Option? Advice Please.

I already have a home PC but would like something to use while away from home for a few days. I would just need it for emails and internet, possibly Skype but that's not essential. I'm afraid I'm a bit of a computer dunce and don't know anything about laptops, ipads, notebooks, wi-fietc. Any advice would be appreciated.

geek_nanalu, Jan 1, 8:03 am

Ipad

geek_lilyfield, Jan 1, 8:08 am

If you are doing very simple things you could go smart phone.

geek_merrigj, Jan 1, 8:16 am

I'd probably go for a tablet or netbook. Either of those will do emails, internet, and skype. If you're going to be away from power you'll want something with decent battery life too.

I wouldn't go for a phone. It's handy to have internet on your phone if nothing else is available but I would never go out and buy a phone specifically for internet browsing or email, looking at a small screen and trying to type on a little touch keyboard gets annoying pretty quickly.

geek_little_egypt, Jan 1, 9:27 am

netbooks are great ,small enough to take anywhere

geek_cassandra13, Jan 1, 9:47 am

go to an internet cafe.way to save buying something you might not use again.

geek_veecee, Jan 1, 9:48 am

Samsung Tablet :)Love skyping on the tablet, even at home, so much nicer being able to take people for a walk into the garden and thru the house and switch back and front cameras to show them stuff.

geek_r-tech, Jan 1, 9:59 am

Thanks everybody for all the great suggestions. Excuse my ignorance but is an iPad the same sort of device as a tablet!

geek_nanalu, Jan 1, 10:24 am

An iPad is just a tablet made by Apple. Some people think they're better quality or easier to use, my opinion is they're just overpriced.

geek_little_egypt, Jan 1, 10:32 am

I'd go with the iPad - they're not even very much more expensive, and are definitely well built.

On the Android side you have a few choices, the best of which are Asus models IMO

geek_vtecintegra, Jan 1, 11:44 am

I agree with this.
You can use a computer at the library for emails,facebook etc and it costs nothing

geek_newbie5, Jan 1, 12:37 pm

I agree with this.
Why does everyone always advise to buy something the op doesnt need when You can use a computer at the library for emails,facebook etc and it costs nothing

geek_newbie5, Jan 1, 12:37 pm

I don't agree with this. Once you have a tablet you will find plenty of uses for it. Being able to look up stuff without having to get off the couch is awesome (eg when you see an actor in some show and you can't quite figure out who it is or where else you've seen them.)

geek_little_egypt, Jan 1, 12:39 pm

I would not, ever, log into anything from an internet cafe or other shared computer, especially an overseas one.

There are just too many things that can go wrong when you don't have any control or trust of the device you're using.

geek_vtecintegra, Jan 1, 12:47 pm

Thank you all so much for the feedback.It's been a big help.

geek_nanalu, Jan 1, 4:36 pm