Sky TV and Recording

jo255, Jan 3, 3:01am
Hi
I want to get Sky, but also record programmes so I can use them as a teaching resource.

Does MySky allow you to copy onto a USB so it can be replayed on another device!

With my old DVD recorder I used to be able to tape Sky onto the hard drive and then transfer it to DVD. It meant the hard drove didn't get filled up.

Cheers for the answers in advance.

gyrogearloose, Jan 3, 3:27am
You could record on a MySky, and then take the decoder to school in your bag and play it on any TV.

iluvmuse, Jan 3, 3:30am
A lot of sky doco's are on youtube too

mone, Jan 3, 3:33am
The USB won't work. You can get a standalone dvd recorder, then just plug the cable that goes into your TV, into the dvd recorder and hit the record button.

gyrogearloose, Jan 3, 3:44am
Many people would use an HDMI cable to connect their MySky to the TV to take advantage of high definition.

gasaxe, Jan 3, 3:55am
I have a DVD recorder between Mysky and the TV and regularly record programs while watching them. Most programs can be copied but usually movies can't be. To put the recordings on USB would mean playing the disc in a computer then transferring to a USB stick.

tillsbury, Jan 3, 3:57am
This.It's a bit of a pain, recording to Sky, recording again to HD, transferring to DVD, taking it to the computer and ripping it to Divx or whatever, but it's the only way to do it at present.Another way of course is to get a TV tuner card with appropriate inputs in your computer and record directly from that by plugging the Sky box to your computer.

oscarnz, Jan 3, 7:02am
Unless they have changed, that won't work.The decoder needs to be plugged into an aerial (and have signal) to watch recordings.I got caught out with this when moving house a few years ago.

greeny, Jan 3, 7:11am
I hope your school has a screenrights licence

mone, Jan 3, 9:23am
recording from mysky to standalone dvd recorder is what most people use.Using the composite / components output.DVD has a max resolution of 480 so using hdmi output is just a waste of time.

mone, Jan 3, 9:23am
recording from mysky to standalone dvd recorder is what most people use.Using the composite / components output.DVD has a max resolution of 480 so HDMI output would not really work with this method.Also, standalone dvd recorders are dirt cheap now so it's a cheap method.

chch_mike, Jan 3, 11:47am
This may seem like a dumb question please bear with me. Why would you need a DVD recorder if you have Mysky! I thought Mysky was a recorder.

hakatere1, Jan 3, 4:25pm
So the op can take the recording to a classroom as mentioned in post #1

lythande1, Jan 3, 6:15pm
So why not carry on doing that!
That works.
However you may be in breach of copyright doing that you know.what's wrong with using the resources on Discovery, NatGeo etc websites! They provide that for those sort of purposes you know.

chch_mike, Jan 3, 7:17pm
No, I was asking gasaxe who said he has a DVD recorder between Mysky and the TV and regularly recorded programs while watching them. I was wondering why he does this when Mysky is a recorder!

pzkpfw, Jan 3, 8:35pm
MySky will fill up. The DVD recorder allows one to, um, record to DVD. If you want to keep something "forever" or (illegally) loan it to someone - the DVD recorder lets you copy the programme outside of the MySky box.

pzkpfw, Jan 3, 8:35pm
MySky will fill up. The DVD recorder allows one to, um, record to DVD. If you want to keep something "forever" or (illegally) loan it to someone - the DVD recorder lets you copy the programme outside of the MySky box.

Before my in-laws got their own Sky subscription, we were doing this so they could see certain shows (without coming over to our house all the time.).

hapukanz, Jan 3, 9:29pm
HIYA
I use TV content in my teaching too.

I find E-TV useful. You can find just about anything on there. you will need to join or get your school to join.

http://www.etv.org.nz/login.php

I run it straight from my laptop and play the content in class.

Hope this helps

chch_mike, Jan 3, 10:02pm
Thanks pzkpfw, makes perfect sense now ta :)

pcmaster, Jan 4, 12:17am
you can also use it to get around the record 2 and have to watch one issue if you're out and 3 good things happen to be on at the same time!

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)