New Wireless Router Recommendations

daniel993, Jan 7, 6:30am
Can you guys recommend a good wireless router i am looking at upgrading mine. My current one keeps dropping out from time to time while streaming movies esp full HD 3D movies.From what i have read a common problem with the linksys Wag160n.

vtecintegra, Jan 7, 6:32am
If you're doing that type of streaming you're better off just running a cable

spyware, Jan 7, 6:39am
Having house wired with cable is best to stream to TV. But if you insist on wireless then you are better to go with commercial access point solution rather than consumer grade crap.

Maybe a Ubiquity Unifi, budget but works well streaming Freeview HD to laptop. Also OK for streaming 720p content from AirVideo server to iDevices.

http://www.ubnt.com/unifi

spyware, Jan 7, 6:39am
Having house wired with cable is best to stream to TV. But if you insist on wireless then you are better to go with commercial access point solution rather than consumer grade crap.

Maybe a Ubiquity Unifi, budget but works well streaming Freeview HD to laptop. Also OK for streaming 720p content from AirVideo server to iDevices.

http://www.ubnt.com/unifi

UAP-Pro supports both 2.4 and 5 GHz.

daniel993, Jan 7, 6:53am
That is a option i have been thinking about i have a recess in my wall behind the TV with 4 bays 1 bay left i could add that to the last one. I do not watch full 3D HD all the time majority of my movies are 720 TV shows 480 my current router does keep up its just the WiFi drops out all together sometimes and its a pain in A. 35 min in to a movie.

princelee, Jan 7, 8:19am
the linksys wag160n are prone to dropping wireless, its to do with a bug in the firmware apparently and linksys have done nothing to fix it yet they have been aware of this for a good couple of years. TP Link wireless routers are good and realiable for a cheap option. I now run a linksys x2000 which has run faultlessly.

daniel993, Jan 7, 4:33pm
thanks i will look into that router. yes it annoys me that they know of this problem yet they will not address it. when I speak to the technician online or they come up with is changing the wireless channel and updating to the latest firmware which I have done.

audi_s_ate, Jan 7, 6:08pm
Install dd-wrt firmware - worth a shot its free and saved a couple of my linksys routers from the skip.
Google will help you it's quite easy.

spyware, Jan 7, 7:23pm
DD-WRT does run on adsl devices. Linksys is just cheap consumer grade product. Apart from firmware rewrite it may need new hardware design to cope with continuous throughput. What is the point redesigning it when most people use wireless for minimal throughput applications, e.g., clearing emails via iPhone.

Buy something designed to perform.

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)