Administrator Restrictions - How Do I Remove Them?

I bought a PC (Windows XP) 3.2Ghz Processor 512mb RAM which was from an office which obviously put restrictions on accessing CD/DVD ROM - USB Ports and a Card Readers - to stop employees from loading or downloading.

How do I remove/reset things back so I can use everything on the PC!

I don't have any Windows Disks with it and going back to the original owners is not an option.

Any help appreciated.

geek_zolloz, Feb 12, 11:10 am

Google the following. It may depend what version of Windows:
access hidden admin account windows

geek_r.g.nixon, Feb 12, 1:12 pm

you create a new adminisrtor account and through that account delete the other account

geek_gabbysnana, Feb 12, 1:17 pm

Depends on how they are doing the restrictions. Does it use Symantec Endpoint for Antivirus! Personally I'd start from scratch.

geek_pyro_sniper2002, Feb 12, 1:22 pm

"I bought a PC (Windows XP) 3.2Ghz Processor 512mb RAM"

What! They didn't give it to you for free!

geek__drdee_, Feb 12, 1:31 pm

Usually such things are done via registry settings.

Do you know how to work with the registry, and does the machine give you permission to.

As nixon says, google can give you specific pointers. Try:
windows xp restrict access to usb

Of course, it could also have been switched off in the BIOS

geek_soundsgood, Feb 12, 1:49 pm

Thanks Guys

I'm more familiar (though not much) with the BIOS than the Registry.

Could you point me in the right direction within the BIOS so I can have a look!

geek_zolloz, Feb 12, 2:06 pm

Just poke around. You'll easily see which devices are disabled.

geek_r.g.nixon, Feb 12, 2:14 pm

Oh, another option. Just remove the battery (flat cell CR2032) for 10 minutes. That will drain the CMOS memory that keeps any custom BIOS settings set.

geek_r.g.nixon, Feb 12, 2:16 pm

You're an evil man Nixon:-)

So . without poking .

Enter the BIOS - usually F2 at boot - and use the Arrow Keys to move across the menus. One should show you the system (or similar) and will ahve the names of disks and devices. Look for one that mentions USB and see if the status is Disabled. If so. arrow down, press enter, choose enabled, save and exit.

geek_soundsgood, Feb 12, 2:21 pm

Or look for the jumper near the battery, momentarily shorting that will set it all back to factory in a fraction of a second.

geek_little_egypt, Feb 12, 2:26 pm

You misinterpreted me. I meant to 'poke' around in the BIOS settings.

geek_r.g.nixon, Feb 12, 2:29 pm

Once again, is Symantec Endpoint Antivirus installed!

geek_pyro_sniper2002, Feb 12, 2:53 pm

Sorry. didn't need to ignore you. No Symantec or any other Antivirus installed except an outdated version of Free AVG.

geek_zolloz, Feb 12, 4:50 pm

Obtain the OS from somewhere. You should have the key on the computer somewhere. Do a complete reload, nominate yourself as sole user.

geek_venta, Feb 12, 5:06 pm

its xp, but whatever

geek_gabbysnana, Feb 12, 6:04 pm

Thanks for all the tips and advice.

I'll go away and play around and let you know the outcome.

Once again

Many thanks.

geek_zolloz, Feb 12, 7:39 pm

Bloody irresponsible for any office to let an ex-work computer go without wiping the drive and (optionally) reimaging the OS. Whenever I see machines like this it always makes me wonder if it wasn't just stolen from an unlocked office somewhere.

geek_little_egypt, Feb 12, 7:59 pm

I can assure you that this was bought from a legitimate business and all files and programs have been uninstalled and only the bare OS is loaded.

The only problem that remains is the one I asked about - ie. accessing the Card, USB and CD/DVD Drives.

geek_zolloz, Feb 12, 11:05 pm

If it was my computer, I would zero wipe and do a clean install of the operating system. I wouldn't even bother trying to 'fix' an old install like that.

geek_little_egypt, Feb 12, 11:09 pm