Any point upgrading ram with Windows 8?

mrsbeeblebrock, Feb 27, 10:48pm
I have ordered this laptop which comes with 6gb of ram but can run up to 16gb of ram: http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/Toshiba-memory/Satellite+L8xx+Series/Satellite+L875D-S7332-upgrades.html

But this site also advises that Windows 8 only recognises 4gb so is there any advantage in installing additional ram!

The other option I'm considering is to install Win 7 64 bit for increased speed - I use a lot of applications simultaneously. Would that be a good idea! Would I need to purchase different versions of my current software - especiall Adobe CS6!

Thanks in advance for any advice
Jo

dvince, Feb 27, 10:56pm
Here is a quote from your link (which is correct): "How much memory your Windows OS will recognize depends on which version of Windows you are running. 32-bit versions of Windows will see (and utilize) only 3GB or 3.5GB. To utilize more memory, install a 64-bit version of your OS"

Toshiba laptops usually give you the option to install 32 or 64 bit OS when first turned on.

mrsbeeblebrock, Feb 27, 11:00pm
Yep, so if I installed the 64 bit version, would I have to also buy different software!

dvince, Feb 27, 11:04pm
Most software will work. You will need to use 64 bit drivers when installing new hardware.

Most people are using 64 bit OS these days

mrsbeeblebrock, Feb 27, 11:08pm
Ok, thanks.

gj, Feb 27, 11:25pm
No, but CS6 will take advantage of the extra memory and performance if you do upgrade it to 64bit version.

incognetoe, Feb 27, 11:35pm
I would recommend running at 8GB of RAM or more depending on what you use it for.

_drdee_, Feb 27, 11:58pm
Just one note about the laptop is using CS6 bear in mind your on screen colours are going to be miles out to what prints, even the power of CS6 colour management won't sort those screens out, be fine plugged into a decent monitor tho.

_sms_, Feb 28, 4:23am
Oh really!

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)