IPhone vs a good Android phone

Wow what a linkbait trolly sounding title.

But I'm wondering use case scenario, if you were in one part of the city and had to find your way to a landmark or shop in another part that you are unfamiliar with and you only have public transport and are on a time limit, which phone do you think would give you the least grief! In NZ.

For example, on an iPhone 3Gs running iOS6, I had to find my way to a restaurant in Takapuna. I can google it. But if I ask for directions, one of 2 things will happen (not sure which, either is not wanted). It will open in Maps, which is fine but that has no idea of public transport. Useless. Or it will open in Google Maps in Safari. Do not want. Buggy and ugly.
Okay, I can just open it directly in the Maps App. Maps needs an address though, never heard of the restaurant, doesn't really do places so well (have only tested this once mind you but it pissed me off so much). Go to Google Maps app, finds it. Google doesn't have public transport info either! (bit surprised there).
But this would be easier on a 4s or 5, because I could ask Siri. Except I have to fake my accent if I want it to understand me (that works).
Auckland Transport's app needs serious work. Has a journey planner that can work out a journey from your current location. Except you have to tell it where you are, it doesn't just figure it out from gps. duh. Has other issues too. Like not being all that helpful in general. I got there, and it wasn't too hard but it just seemed. not seamless.

I wondered to myself, would a high end android phone really offer a much better experience though! Sure stuff is going to open in the application you want it to open in (not Maps or Google web maps), but does google know enough about little ol' NZ! If I said to my phone "how do I get from here to x restaurant in Takapuna!" would it understand what I was asking of it or would it do a web search for "how do I get a tix rest at noon!"

btw, I'm not actually looking for a new phone and I'd probably still get an iPhone anyway because I develop for the thing and they are "nice" in ways only an iPhone (most of them anyway, not all) user can appreciate (especially if you have a mac). But it just interests me where we are at in early 2013 (interesting rumours about iPhones this year anyway).

geek_-mung-, Feb 26, 5:15 pm

Public transport! I'd ask the people around me first. Then I'd use my Android. Which is just a small Galaxy Mini. So it's not "top of the line". But it finds things when I need it. Boyfriend and I just did a trip of the North Island. Found EVERYTHING with either of our Android phones. (He has a Nexus).

geek_jahemian, Feb 26, 5:34 pm

Google Now does recognize "Takapuna" to my surprise. If you say it too slowly it comes out "Taca Puna", but one of the spelling corrections offered is "takapuna". Also understands "Eketahuna", "Te Kuiti", but not "Whangarei" (with or without the "fuh").

"How do I get from here to a restaurant in Takapuna" comes up with driving directions to a list of them, with options for walking, transit and biking instead of driving. It fails actually getting thetransit directions because I'm in Christchurch and it doesn't have transit info there.

This is on my ancient Galaxy S running Android 4.2.1.

geek_drsr, Feb 26, 5:43 pm

Hmm, yeah Google Now sounds pretty awesome from everything I've read about it.

geek_-mung-, Feb 26, 5:46 pm

Hi I have been collecting Macdonalds manopoly game tokens and i have Mayfair and looking to find someone with Parklane so we can go halves.So anyone have one let me know pls

geek_mcleod27, Feb 26, 5:51 pm

Also depends on your appreciation of technology. If you are a fiddler and find youself playing with technology quite a bit you will hit a wall quite quickly with an iPhone. I know I did. Yes iPhone has has a fairly nice build quality but it is quite simply limiting unless you only see yourself wanting to do the usual smartphone things like call, text, listen to Ed Sheeran and play Angry Birds.
With a high end android device you get good build quality, and higher end components that will allow you to, with some fiddling and trial and error, basically turn your device into a pocket PC as opposed to a smartphone.
IMHO:
iPhone: feels good in your hand, screen is a little small for my big fingers, great if you want a simple no fuss smartphone. One size fits all approach.
High end Android: Many different styles and sizes to suit you personally, potential to be much more than a smartphone, can be as simple or as complex of a device as you want.

geek__drdee_, Feb 26, 6:09 pm