What is a best/good free Antivirus

What is the best/good free antivirus apart from avast that I'm using now, I would like to now a other alternative for Avast! Looks like Avast is not going to be free any more!

geek_banzaibob, Mar 15, 10:52 am

Avast will maintain it's free version. What gave you the idea it was requiring payment!

geek_mark.52, Mar 15, 11:21 am

Asking this question on here will get you every possible answer - its a popularity contest rather than a factual analysis.
I suggest you read a more objective review like this one http://tinyurl.com/4ufthl and make up your own mind based on what type of browsing you do. As each vendor releases a new version each year the ratings may change however they are all pretty competent.
Also search the message board "keyword = free antivirus" and you will find plenty of posts already on this.

geek_gj, Mar 15, 11:31 am

Your title says it all. Best, good, free. Yea right. If you want the best good software, it's not free. And if it is it's not that good, and surely not the best.

geek_trevenco, Mar 15, 6:06 pm

You probably installed one of the pay versions, like Pro or Internet Security, or when you went to install you were offered a trial for 30 days, or the free one just has to be renewed (still free).

See what you have installed, and if it is not the free version, uninstall then get the free version. New version 8 only recently released and it looks different than v7 in case you think you have installed something else.

geek_chnman, Mar 15, 7:24 pm

I downloaded a new freebee called comodo firewall seems to be ok and doesn't slow your computer down.

geek_liggy2, Mar 15, 7:33 pm

Avast is too much nagware like Avira these days.

geek_dudekrulz, Mar 16, 12:37 am

Get Norton as it's a virus in it's own right. Then you'll be able to exercise the best and brightest on the subject of how to remove it.

Can't beat Microsoft Essentials. So far it's remained free but the question is will this continue.

geek_owene, Mar 16, 1:34 am

Isn't av though. I use Panda Cloud. It's the best imo.

geek_hakatere1, Mar 16, 5:12 am

You rate Microsoft Essentials above Norton's[ maybe Internet Security]! you seriously need your head read! Nothing wrong with the Norton's over the past few years. Google the best Internet Security and see how high it rates from expert opinions.

geek_oakie, Mar 16, 7:38 am

so wrong in every way. MSE is utter utter crap as tested by many independent tests and Norton post 2011 is fine. Outdated beliefs are really outdated.

geek_dudekrulz, Mar 16, 8:26 am

Yes, MSE is pretty much the worst free A/V in current tests.

geek_r.g.nixon, Mar 16, 8:38 am

I run AVG free and the Windows firewall. Seems OK and not too intrusive. I run an online scan (Fsecure)occasionally just to double check.

geek_gdf001, Mar 16, 9:10 am

Yep, I've used Comodo Internet Security since it first came out, many years ago.
It is good, particularly the Firewall, gets good results.
Not had a virus since me Win 98SE days.

geek_ianalice1, Mar 16, 10:44 am

after reading the latest test in a german computer magazine I changed back to Avira

geek_audi44, Mar 16, 10:27 pm

Don't believe aytnhing they tell you is free. It's not. Somewhere along the way you will have to pay someone for something. I got well and truly done over by a sneaky techo. who took advantage of my not knowing enough to ask the right questions. He told me the CA he put on my machine was free!! What a load! The so called free' version ran out in three months and then I found I had to pay for the new version. And I found out I have to pay for the newest every year! Don't believe them they are all out to take' you. Good luck.

geek_guest, Aug 4, 12:31 am

howdy itnewsyoucanuse.com owner found your blog via Google but it was hard to find and I see you could have more vsiitors because there are not so many comments yet. I have discovered website which offer to dramatically increase traffic to your blog they claim they managed to get close to 1000 vsiitors/day using their services you could also get lot more targeted traffic from search engines as you have now. I used their services and got significantly more vsiitors to my website. Hope this helps They offer affordable link building service generate backlinks Take care. steve

geek_guest, Aug 5, 11:13 am

Excuse me, but I think Jack Layton looks like a pimp.I think Dion looks fine.Harper, Harper, Harper - do something with that tummy. With a chef isunhoe, nice healthy diet dinners could be cooked for you. I heard Harper was addicted to Coke (as in cola that is).Yup, when Layton's not selling used cars he dresses up like a pimp.

geek_guest, Aug 7, 1:32 pm