Data transfer from cellphone to PC

I wish to transfer photos (in JPEG format) from my cellphone (Nokia C2-01) to a folder on my PC.
The User Manual for the phone does not deal with that. The Nokia.com website seems to "tell" me that I need a Nokia (genuine or compatible) microUSB cable to do a transfer of the photos.
Is that correct and where would I buy and how much would I pay for such a cable! On connection of my phone to my PC using the microUSB cable will I "find" that the process works just as if my phone (with the photos) was a storage device (in my case the photos save onto a mini SD card that is plugged into the phone).
Any help as to any purchase I might have to make and the procedures I need to follow would be greatly appreciated - eg, I understand that a miniUSB cable can also be used to charge the phone (via the USB plug in my PC). What process do I need to follow to access and transfer the photos in the case whereby the connection when made "defaults" to the charging mode instead of the mode I need (ie, data transfer mode)

geek_mariner26, Mar 16, 8:24 pm

Firstly,I have a Nokia C2-01 and I wasnt going to pay Telecom's $35NZ aprox for a micro usb cable.
I bought mine here.
http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx!ItemID=390480 Then I went to Nokia's international website and downloaded the Nokia Suite. Just put C2-01 in their search engine and look for the Nokia Suite download . its FREE http://www.nokia.com/nz-en/support/product/c2-01/downloads/

Once the download was installed, I connected the phone to the PC with the microUSB cable. and self taught the upload process to my PC, its pretty simple.

Best of Luck :)

geek_mgc54, Mar 16, 8:39 pm

Thanks Martin (mgc54).
Did the microUSB at the ascent website (via your link) fit your phone without a problem. The one picturedwhen I used the link looks too big.
Is the Nokia Suite absolutely necessary to enable a transfer of photos or would the windows system (Vista on my PC) cope with what I want to do!

Thanks for help so far.

geek_mariner26, Mar 17, 9:54 am

Nokia Suite is not required. The OS just treats the phone as a generic storage device, you can view, and copy jpegs to your PC. No resizing will occur, the file will be copied in its native state. Even though I do use Nokia Suite, I have just copied some files from the phone using the OS. (in my case XP)

geek_bwg11, Mar 17, 10:45 am

Also just FYI, I use my kindle USB cable, as the "small end" of the Kindle and Nokia cable is thinner than a "normal" USB expansion drive cable. Watch this if you are buying.

geek_bwg11, Mar 17, 10:50 am

Thanks for that Bruce. I thought Vista would cope with what I wish to do without special software. I have bought a Nokia C2-01 cable via TradeMe @ $1.85 so when I receive it I shall connect up the phone to the PC and it should be "away we go"!
If that does not work out then I can easily download the Nokia Suite software as Martin advised.
All good advice from most helpful folk - as usual.
Thanks very much.

geek_mariner26, Mar 17, 6:07 pm

Bluetooth and Nokia Suite. My Asha 300 synchronises automatically every time I wander in range. I can't be bothered with cables.

geek_meathead_timaru, Mar 17, 6:27 pm

OK Will. Will (sorry - sick pun!) study the Nokia Suite instructions and see whether I can utilise the bluetooth facility to which you refer.

geek_mariner26, Mar 17, 8:00 pm

Fantastic goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff priveous to and you are just extremely fantastic. I actually like what you've acquired here, really like what you are stating and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still care for to keep it smart. I can not wait to read far more from you. This is actually a great website.

geek_guest, Aug 3, 4:47 pm

I think this is one of the most important ifoormatinn for me. And i'm glad reading your article. But should remark on some general things, The site style is great, the articles is really nice : D. Good job, cheers

geek_guest, Aug 4, 2:35 am

Matt,I grew up in europe as you know and I was dying to get my lsnceie. I enjoy driving to this day that's how much I looked forward to it.You've hit home with this post, neither 2 of my oldest girls (almost 18 almost 16) have a lsnceie. My soon to be 16 year old doesn't even have her permit!! I've let sleeping dogs lie it's maybe a little tougher due to divorce issues etc but STILL. I don't get it. Weird trend but maybe it's evolution in a way.Marc

geek_guest, Aug 6, 2:31 am