Speed test 9.49mbps download 0.98mbps upload?

our slingshot connection has been SLOOOOOW last few days so did a SS speed test and got the above results. we are semi rural.is that ok!

geek_fordcrzy, Mar 21, 8:45 pm

quite normal

geek_king1, Mar 21, 8:55 pm

That's rather normal, indeed!

geek_lifesteala, Mar 21, 9:10 pm

loll telstra warp speed 104mbps

geek_wellyguynz, Mar 21, 9:14 pm

milli-bits per second!

geek_stevel_knievel, Mar 21, 9:21 pm

mbps on average 3min for a tv episode 5-6 for a movie

geek_wellyguynz, Mar 21, 9:23 pm

depending on seeds

geek_wellyguynz, Mar 21, 9:24 pm

we have third world internet . :\

geek_dylandylandylan, Mar 21, 9:25 pm

worse than that ;)

(Really as the 'third world' has bypassed older tech for the newer wireless tech and thus why you can get insanely good speedy cellphone coverage in a lot of poorer countries like Kenya and Vietnam).

geek_dudekrulz, Mar 21, 10:40 pm

17mbps is my average on slingshot

geek_testbot_420, Mar 21, 10:53 pm

Rubbish. http://www.speedtest.net/result/2590561672.png

45Mb/s down 9Mb/s up.

Get a proper connection and quit complaining. Internet in NZ is fine. Look into getting VDSL. The new "Ultra Fast Fibre" is a rip-off.

geek_willfam, Mar 22, 10:32 am

VDSL is only available in certain areas, as is cable so don't apply your situation to everyone. For the lucky folks that have UFB already, it's actually faster than your VDSL speed.

geek_dudekrulz, Mar 22, 10:40 am

Now do that speedtest to a European server - then i'll be impressed
To elaborate, I don't think anyone really has an issue with internet performance within NZ.The reason why NZ internet is perceived badly is due to the less than average international performance - that's my view on it anyway.

geek_king1, Mar 22, 10:41 am

VDSL runs off the current copper network. Got onto your ISP and maybe they'll get some gear into the right place.
UFB standard is 30 down 10 up and costs more than VDSL. You have to pay extra to get 100 down.

Frankfurt - http://www.speedtest.net/result/2590593995.png LA - http://www.speedtest.net/result/2590596173.png

A lot of the "Issues" with NZ Internet is that we're just so far away from everything that matters online. Not a lot anyone can do about that.
You can speed up the local traffic all you want, but that's not where the issue is. It helps a little bit, but once your connection can do 10 down local, that's really all you need until we get better international speeds and better routing.

geek_willfam, Mar 22, 10:54 am

geek_nutslap, Mar 22, 11:39 am

Kinda hard when a good portion of the population simply don't have any choice whatsoever in getting a "good" connection. Not everyone lives in the middle of a city hub a block away from the exchange.

geek_volkier, Mar 22, 1:03 pm

U da man

geek_blue_meanie, Mar 22, 6:11 pm

geek_nutslap, Mar 23, 11:22 am

geek_hakatere1, Mar 23, 11:45 am

can any one with UFB post some speedtests and comment how great it is

geek_woody118, Mar 23, 7:15 pm

geek_woody118, Mar 23, 7:19 pm