Can someone explain to me what a smart phone is?

this is embarrassing but i genuinely have no idea.do you have to have a contract!can you text!what are these aps i keep hearing about!do these aps access the web and do you pay extra for this!

geek_bargainhunter10, Mar 31, 3:09 pm

No, yes, programs that run on the phone, sometimes, depends on your plan

geek_vtecintegra, Mar 31, 3:12 pm

no, yes, apps are applications kinda like programs for ya phone, some do some dont and the with the ones that do you only pay if you use your phones internet, you can just use wifi when in range

geek_quotejoss, Mar 31, 3:16 pm

a catchphrase.

geek_gibler, Mar 31, 3:24 pm

A smartphone is any phone generally a mobile phone that can do more than just making calls and texts.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartphone

geek_spielfeuer, Mar 31, 4:18 pm

They are a standard ph but generally have a grahics screen so can have a web browser, word processor, spreadsheet plus any other programs (apps) written for them. You can get them on or off contract and use them with prepay plans if you want.

geek_eslnz.com, Mar 31, 4:30 pm

A phone capable of accessing the internet - and using various pointless (and one or two useful) applications.

You can pre=pay or pay monthly, same as a calls/txt only phone. Data is charged in MB so as not to scare you with the cost in GB.

geek_lythande1, Mar 31, 5:09 pm

Imagine your desktop computer with all it's own prg's installed & wireless internet access, has NOW shrunk to the size of a 50mm x 125mm screen thats only 10mm thick.

I hope you have blimin good eyes.

geek_mrfxit, Mar 31, 5:14 pm

Let's skip the personal comments, and get some real facts:

http://cellphones.about.com/od/smartphonebasics/a/what_is_smart.htm

geek_mikep, Mar 31, 7:15 pm

Yes & some std desktop pc's can do all of that as well except being portable in a pocket.

Still valid ;-)
I know which I would rather be fixing when it's busted

geek_mrfxit, Mar 31, 8:59 pm

A smartphone is a mobile phone that works on a mobile operating system eg iOS, Andriod, or Windows mobile, so yes it is like a small portable computer that fits in a pocket, which of course uses services provided by the mobile phone network eg text, calls, data etc.

geek_cherise11, Mar 31, 9:55 pm

Some of those smart ph's use quad core cpu's.
you can get docking cables for some that allow you to connect a desktop lcd screen & std keyboard

geek_mrfxit, Mar 31, 10:28 pm

a helpful word of advice #1, DONT get an iPhone, get an android phone such as the samsung galaxy range

geek_nzoomed, Mar 31, 10:42 pm

Agreed unless you have $$ to splash around on app's etc.
Can't get anything for Apple ph's unless you use their "App" store

geek_mrfxit, Mar 31, 10:48 pm

I love it how you'll put someone on a path of potential frustration just to push your weird little partisan techy agenda.

Someone who has only just found out the difference between a smartphone and a feature phone hardly gives a shit about quad/octacore cpus, techy spec this buzzword that and freeeeeeedooom from the absolute tyrany of being able to get all your apps in once place.

geek_-mung-, Mar 31, 11:56 pm

A smart phone is one what went to university and it got it an edumacation.

geek_raven71, Apr 1, 7:25 am

In my meagre experience the mere fact that an individual has attended university to further their edumacation doesn't appear to have made them any smarter than many people that I have met that for various reasons had very little opportunity for an edumacation of any description, let alone edumacation to university level !

geek_therafter1, Apr 1, 8:43 am

Apple ph's (eg: Iphones etc) = APPLE App & Itunes store ONLY = $$ for a lot of stuff & ANYTHING music you want to install (apart from the Itunes prg).
Also = 100% dose of DRM

Alternative smart ph's = mostly free apps & available from several different app stores/ websites etc.
Also = very minimal to no DRM

(DRM) Digital Rights Management = you PAY for ALL content &CAN'T transfer it to another device legally without PAYING another fee & often end up having to re-download it again after paying again.
If you delete/ corruptit (regardless of how or why) you PAY again if you want it back

geek_mrfxit, Apr 1, 9:13 am

They are often smarter in a narrower field but dumber in the wider field & lacking in street (real world) smarts.

I know this because I have several of "them" here (working at different subjects) & several of the "others" here as well.

geek_mrfxit, Apr 1, 9:16 am

DRM sucks, its so hard to explain to people asking for advice on iPods etc, they always ask me why does everyone say iPods are the best, and i say they are not, you can only transfer songs from the iTunes account that its synced to, with an android phone you can drag and drop any mp3 from any computer straight over without any issues.
In saying that, i thought if you bought any song from the iTunes store, you still get it back from your itunes account, since its recorded that its been paid for.

geek_nzoomed, Apr 1, 11:35 am

Its a shame that so many dumb people do uni and so many smart people don't. You know who will get the managerial job dontcha.

geek_-mung-, Apr 1, 4:51 pm

I think there may be some openings available here and there as I suspect that most of the graduates are presently employed by the NZTA and they are designing roads with negative camber on corners in areas with known high rainfall rates and passing lanes that cut out on the crests of hills just prior to right turn bays and figuring out places to fit armco barriers to deflect leemings who deserve to go over the bank into the oncoming traffic so that we have fatal head ons instead of minor roll overs and hundreds of reflective chevrons on non existent corners to combine with the oncoming headlights and dazzle the bejeezuz out of ya and other road safety related stuff like that lol

geek_therafter1, Apr 1, 5:15 pm

Okay I ignored this the first time around, but hang on, that's a load of crap.

You can get your music from anywhere you want, it's just not as one-click simple (obviously) if you get your music from somewhere else. iTunes Music has no DRM. Do you know what DRM actually is! I mean, I assume you do, you should, but your post suggests otherwise.

You can only buy apps from the app store unless they are webapps, but pretty much everything comes fromt he app store because it's a single point of entry and it's convienent. Note that even the good old Firefox OS will require apps to go through their own portal if it requires access to certain things. Y'know, to sign it and make sure it's not malware. Yes I know it's wonderful to have the freedom to install malware on android, but most people try to avoid it.

Lots of free stuff on the app store. TONs of it infact.

You can transfer your stuff to any device you want. It just has to be signed into your account. As it should be. I download something for an iPhone, I can download it again for an iPad I might own. And then I decide I don't want it and wipe it. Later on I change my mind, not only do I have access to it, but iCloud has stored all my previous apps so I don't have to trawl through the app store to find it. I buy a newer model iPhone, I can transfer everything. I own it because I paid for it once already. I can download it as many times as I like for no extra cost.

So where the hell do you get your information from! Because every single bit of it is wrong.

geek_-mung-, Apr 1, 8:50 pm

I've never tried to get music off an iPod or iPhone or iPad, I imagine without 3rd party software it's hard. That said, I've never needed or wanted to. I have music on the computer. Transferring stuff, yeah dunno how hard it is, I tend not to go through the interface. The files are in a music folder, just grab them like you would on any other OS/platform/whatever.

geek_-mung-, Apr 1, 8:53 pm

i dont know if its just me, but i find iTunes extremely difficult to use, especially the latest version!

geek_nzoomed, Apr 1, 10:37 pm

That's because some of the people who go Uni, but come out still 'dumb', end up in - HR. I have yet to meet anyone in HR who has a clue about what the business they are working in actually functions.

Oh, a smartphone is a pocket sized item (or should be) where the whole face of the phone is glass and on which you can play Angry Birds.

geek_soundsgood, Apr 1, 10:54 pm

LMAO speaking of angry birds.
Must be an Apple fanboy

had a few different apple based players through here over the years with our teenagers & had to deal with a heck of a lot of pain when it come to DRM / propriety & downright belligerent software that over the years has cost the teens their music collections because of auto syncing & auto updating when connecting ipods etc to a different computer & std Itunes installs.
Not sure about the latest Itunes because I got to HATE the older versions because they would wipe a new device & synce update THAT computers Itunes libarary to the newly attached device by default.
& as for getting the music off for use on a non Itunes computer . LOL yea sure
Ended up installing Sharepod or Rockbox for an easier interface & easy to transfer whatever files I wanted on & off to whatever other device or computer I wanted with NO restrictions.
DRM & copyrite is great for the creators, but it's cruddy garbage for users who have several different devices NOT belonging to Apple or created on/through MS media player.

geek_mrfxit, Apr 1, 11:18 pm

Mung . You called my post (insert his swear word) & yet you confirmed my post as correct >>>

geek_mrfxit, Apr 1, 11:21 pm

" what a smart phone is !"
For me its a very handy mini computer on the run.

geek_boots0016, Apr 1, 11:23 pm

PS: Its also a good cell phone :-)

geek_boots0016, Apr 1, 11:28 pm

LOL . ding

geek_mrfxit, Apr 1, 11:31 pm

You're not wrong. Some of the dumbest people I've ever met have had an alphabet behind their names. Good memories, but no common sense.

geek_meathead_timaru, Apr 2, 12:13 am

Now, to answer the OP's question.

A 'smartphone' is a cellphone which can do a few things more than more simple cellphones, and is something purchased for too much $$$ by people who usually don't know what it is or what it can do but they feel they must have because it's a status symbol, but they'll never admit to that fact.

Just to be clear, I have a 4S. It was completely free, not on a plan 'free' - actually free, but I honestly would not buy one. Handy to have, given I'm self-employed, but hardly essential.

geek_meathead_timaru, Apr 2, 12:23 am

geek_meathead_timaru, Apr 2, 12:27 am

LMAo brilliant

geek_mrfxit, Apr 2, 10:24 am

Angry!! I barely care enough to respond.

Sounds like you have a bit of a crap time with iTunes. I buy CDs and rip them so haven't gone through that heartache - wont pay for low bitrate lossy music and certainly wont buy any files with DRM.
The concept though is supposed to be simple, and it works for me in terms of apps.
I'm satisfied with the stuff I use but not overly loyal to any one brand though. Will change if I stop being satisfied. I just like to clarify things that I think are incorrect.

geek_-mung-, Apr 2, 11:42 am

Apparently that angry birds game is pretty addictive, another thing I tend to stay away from.
Yep I love simple gear more then complicated gear but also a little bit more of a power user.

It's a bit like the situation with creating websites.
I preferred Dreamweaver to raw coding because it offers both raw coding & drag & drop ready made bits.

It's the fact it clearly offers easy & hard options with no serious digging to find the options that are not there & easy to find what you do need with no real restrictions.
I like things that are simple for when I am cruising & hard WHEN i choose or need it with plenty of artistic licence thrown in.

Apple just hasn't done that for me in the past.
No idea on the latest but. leopards /spots .>>

geek_mrfxit, Apr 2, 12:10 pm

LOL . Mmmmmmm
like ppl that buy a $1000 smart ph for their 8 year fortexting only, THEN won't put on a data plan because it costs too much BUT, . won';t let you turn off the data option because it stops a few other functions that need data, THEN get grumpy because the kid went surfing on a casual data charge basis.

(true story)

geek_mrfxit, Apr 2, 12:15 pm

Angry birds was app of the week (so, free) a couple of weeks ago so I got it. but I don't really like games so it's sat there unopened the whole time.One day maybe when I'm *really* bored and stuck somewhere.

geek_-mung-, Apr 2, 1:38 pm

pity its missing windows phone users! still funny though!

geek_nzoomed, Apr 2, 2:45 pm

But so is the world. :p

geek_-mung-, Apr 2, 3:53 pm

I'm sure it is. Much like people that get a 'smart'phone for themselves and only ever use it on wifi. It kind of defeats the whole point of instant access to email and the internet, anytime. But I'm sure that works fine if you're only ever at home or work.

geek_meathead_timaru, Apr 2, 4:21 pm

There's a Windows phone!

geek_meathead_timaru, Apr 2, 4:22 pm

yes and they are crap!

geek_nzoomed, Apr 2, 4:37 pm

I'd just like to point out poster mrfixit has literally no idea what they're talking about.

geek_vtecintegra, Apr 2, 6:05 pm

Actually, I'll tell ya what, and this *still* gets me sometimes, got me a couple of weeks ago in fact. A lot of times the way to do something is the most obvious possible way you could imagine, the trouble is sometimes it's paradoxically obvious *after* I learn it. And I can't blame Apple, I just have to smack my head and say doh. Because once I learn it it's so logical. Things like dragging and dropping for instance. Which is pretty normal and ubiquitous now of course.

Apple seems to have truly cocked their simplicity up a few times lately though.

But compare this to say. windows. it becomes a wizard. with an animated character. "Woof! would you like to search huh! Well let me guess, is it a document! no! How about a music file! Is it a. Okay um. how about this then. when was it made! Where do you want me to search! Woof!" How about you just let me type in a damn keyword and you find it. And piss off. .Then it can't find it anyway.
Yes yes I'm cherry picking for comic effect (only in computer forum do I feel like I need to spell that out :p)

This is a really bad example, but it's the only one I have right now: A couple of weeks ago I wanted to tether my iPhone to my Mac because the network was down and I wanted internet access. I went through this convoluted path that I'd gone through in the past with an old Nokia and it didn't work. WTF Apple, making your iPhone harder to tether to a Mac than a shitty old Nokia. Then the other day I noticed the personal hotspot option in settings. Flip a switch and then it just works. Shit.

geek_-mung-, Apr 2, 6:42 pm

That personal hotspot sucks the juice, understandably. I used it for a few hours last night and my battery went from 100% to 11%!

I couldn't get the 4S to work via Bluetooth though. It could see it, and was paired, but the service discovery wouldn't work. PoS. No such issue with the $150 Nokia - it just works.

geek_meathead_timaru, Apr 2, 7:24 pm

One thing that really grinds my gears is the Mail app on the 4S. There's no way to head directly straight back to the Accounts page! And why do they put the buttons at the top of the screen! They should all be together at the bottom so you can just use one digit!

geek_meathead_timaru, Apr 2, 7:29 pm

My email is with google apps so I stuck mail in a folder with all the other unused apps (let us hide them!) and use the gmail app instead. Good although slow to start on my shitty old 3GS.

geek_-mung-, Apr 2, 8:42 pm

Yeah i think you are correct, i find that Apple make things so simple, its actually "too" simple (for the technicially minded anyway!) lol
I find i have to what apple say and "think different" to actually use them lol
Mind you windows 8 is going down the same path and i actually prefer using an iOS device any day over windows 8, and im by no means any apple fan!

geek_nzoomed, Apr 3, 10:00 am