Windows 10 - Microsoft Sunset Money problem

Hi
Has anyone yet cracked how to use Microsoft Sunset Money with Windows 10. When Money starts it says it requires IE6 to function. Have tried to download IE but won't work. Did see on MS forum a registry fix but did not work on my machine. My machine started as Vista upgrade to 7 then 8 and 8.1 and now 10. Luckily I still have another laptop with 8.1 (new) on and so can use Money on that but am desperate to get it working so I can upgrade to 10 on it. Have important stuff on money and can't loose it! Someone - any suggestions PLEASE

geek_loey, Aug 9, 1:50 pm

Why are you desperate to upgrade?

geek_vtecintegra, Aug 9, 1:58 pm

Why does it matter what reason they have to upgrade?

geek_2nd2none, Aug 9, 1:59 pm

Trying to run software that has been obsolete for 5+ years on a brand new OS is just asking for trouble.

geek_vtecintegra, Aug 9, 2:06 pm

Upgrade and run a virtual machine with whatever version of Windows is compatible? Not ideal but will work in a pinch

geek_suicidemonkey, Aug 9, 2:08 pm

changing the registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTW-
ARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Inte-
rnet Explorer" to 9.11.10240.0 worked for me

geek_chris.kingston, Aug 9, 2:13 pm

Thank you Chris.kingston - I've tried that but I don't have the Internet explorer part after I open Microsoft? Perhaps I need to try downloading IE again?
Others - I use it as a Treasurer for a club and have done for years - it's been upgraded by 'Sunset' over the years, works well and is FREE!

geek_loey, Aug 9, 2:25 pm

'Sunset' means this software is now considered obsolete and you should find an alternative. This happened to Money in 2010.

geek_vtecintegra, Aug 9, 2:36 pm

It will be there if you have Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
See mine (not edited) http://i.imgur.com/R0GdfW0.png

So there are several keys there. Chris didn't say which to change, but try all of them.

geek_r.g.nixon, Aug 9, 2:41 pm

Yes changing to 10240.0 worked for me too - it's the VERSION folder value.

geek_asmawa1, Aug 9, 2:45 pm

If you are using a 32 bit version of Windows then that node will not be there - you'll need to track down the equivalent (maybe search for that version number)

Note that changing the registry is always dangerous when you don't understand what the keys do - don't be surprised if other stuff breaks

geek_vtecintegra, Aug 9, 2:50 pm

That's odd - 32 bit here, upgraded from 8.1. and applied the very minor registry tweak without a 'meltdown'

geek_asmawa1, Aug 9, 2:53 pm

Are you sure about that? That node should not exist at all in a 32bit system.

geek_vtecintegra, Aug 9, 3:01 pm

Yeah - had another look and found IE and have changed the registry - It's working now! however I will try out on Compaq machine for a couple of months before I upgrade to 10 on my 'new' laptop. Can't risk loosing all until after our financial year at least which is end October. If it doesn't work properly will have to look at another accounting package - Any ideas gratefully accepted - for a non-profit club - but must have GST capability
Thanks all for your help - I do appreciate your time!

geek_loey, Aug 9, 3:01 pm

PS - my Compaq is a 32 bit and I found it - Will take my chances as I really don't use it as much now - just wanted to trial win 10 etc -

geek_loey, Aug 9, 3:05 pm

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-personal-finance-software.htm I am still using Windows 7 and use MS Money, so am providing the link above which may be of interest, but I haven't used any of it, apart from MS Money. I note though that MS Money has the ability to export to QIF, and "Money Manager Ex" on the above link can import QIF, so maybe worth looking into if you want to investigate further.
Look at the first review here:
http://www.moneymanagerex.org/about/user-reviews
Also, just spotted Homebank imports from MS Money.
http://homebank.free.fr/

However, if you are used to using MS Money and you can edit the registry to workaround using it on Windows 10, you might settle on using that and hope Microsoft don't do something to make it break.

geek_chnman, Aug 9, 7:09 pm

Have you had a look at www.acclaim.co.nz they have cashbook which is veery easy to use, free if you are not doing invoices etc, if you want the full sheebang, then have a look on their web site, they supply a list of accountants that support the programme, and if you purchase through them the cost is a lot cheaper. They have free updates, and also free contacts if needed to question things, I have the free one on one computer for my home stuff, and the paid version on another computer for office stuff. I only need to take my USB stick into my accountant and they download off that, so its simple and quick. I also had it loaded on an older computer for a club, and when I passed the job on, just gave the other person a USB stick with it all loaded, they went on line, downloaded the programme and put the stick in, and pushed restore and they had all the information on their computer. Other Accounting programmes charge so much per month, and that can mount up to be a lot each year.

geek_josie12, Aug 9, 9:51 pm

Thank you , worked for me too.
Pleased to get this program back.

geek_1blizzy, Aug 9, 10:46 pm

Chris , did you that Insight reminder icon working in the taskbar tray?
With everything ticked Insight reminder , does not start up in Windows 10.
Any advice?
Cheers.

geek_1blizzy, Aug 10, 8:58 am

Hi again,
Thank you Josie12 - will try your links. Always open to new ideas etc. At moment have restored a backup on my 'old' laptop (win 10) of MS money from my 'new' laptop which as yet haven't upgraded to 10 and all looks OK, but think I'll still play safe and keep using 8.1 as well for a couple of months. Thank you all for your info. keep it coming as I'll keep checking again. THANKS

geek_loey, Mar 5, 9:09 pm

Share this thread