Fast Fibre.

We are having it installed soon. But I keep asking friends who already have it if it has made a material difference to the net experience. most say it has not.

So I'd like to hear the views here as to its efficacy.

Are the benefits tangible or is the emperor in need of new clothes?

geek_pestri, Jun 17, 9:08 am

No difference from VDSL. But much better than ADSL.

geek_r.g.nixon, Jun 17, 9:31 am

It usually won't help web browsing speeds much, but it will help when downloading large files.

And it also depends on what speed you get.

geek_suicidemonkey, Jun 17, 9:42 am

It depends on how good your current connection is. I'm in Dunedin so jumped on the Gigatown Plan, where as I used to be on a 12-13mbit ADSL connection. Because 3 of us in the house like to stream content at the same time it has made a difference, but probably nothing we couldn't do with 50-60mbit.

geek_pyro_sniper2002, Jun 17, 11:38 am

It depends on what you use the internet for. A 100Mbit connection for me as a gamer is amazing, downloading games at 12MB/s, reduced latency, less congestion with multiple people in the house.

geek_beserkerang, Jun 17, 12:02 pm

Yeah it's not going to magically make web pages load instantly, unfortunately the internet doesn't work like that. But it's very good for streaming lots of videos and downloading big files.

geek_suicidemonkey, Jun 17, 12:21 pm

As #5 pointed out, congestion is the main reason you'd want fibre. If you're a single user then you won't notice much difference at all upgrading to fibre from even ADSL. But as soon as you have more than 3 devices on ADSL, all downloading HD multimedia content at the same time, you'll soon find it hard to do anything at all.

The main culprit is the upload speed. ADSL has a theoretical maximum of 1Mbs. VDSL 10Mbps but Fibre has 20Mbs minimum (some provide 50Mbs and this is just a manufactured limit by ISPs - current UFB can do 200Mbps up and down).

geek_lostdude, Jun 17, 1:06 pm

I think you're getting your MB/s and Mbps mixed up a bit.

geek_pyro_sniper2002, Jun 17, 1:34 pm

Sounds right to me

geek_suicidemonkey, Jun 17, 1:47 pm

Lostdude got it right, but I prefer a / before the s.

geek_r.g.nixon, Jun 17, 1:55 pm

Sorry, I didn't catch the bit that said upload speed, correct he is.

geek_pyro_sniper2002, Jun 17, 1:59 pm

I got it just over a week ago and rapted with it.

Before speed readings.
Download 6.08Mbps Upload .84 Mbps

Now
Download 76.60Mbps Upload 18.50Mbps.

Did another just now
Download 71.43Mbps Upload 20.02 Mbps

geek_cleggyboy, Jun 17, 2:04 pm

Yeah sorry, missed a couple of "p"s lol.

geek_lostdude, Jun 17, 4:13 pm

The latency must be much, much better.

geek_gibler, Jun 17, 4:58 pm

Thanks for the comments. The picture I am getting is that its great for gamers, and those with multiple users on one account, but isn't going to make a great deal of difference to the everyday user as lostdude sez.

One of the benefits I was hoping for was the more efficient streaming of TV on demand. Right at the moment there's a lot of buffering going on with laptop to screen casting. ( but ironically phone to device is brilliant! ) Hopefully on demand performance will improve.

Another issue I have is re existing phone services, will my current wireless phones (3 handpieces) still operate on fibre?

Having the scoping meeting next week so I will be putting the questions to the team. but forewarned etc.

geek_pestri, Jun 18, 9:22 am

At work today we just had a fibre installed chch central with Spark.

Speeds went from:

DL 17Mb to 97Mb
UL 2.3Mb to 28.5Mb
Ping from 38ms to 2ms

Very impressed

geek_jon9, Jun 18, 2:19 pm

hi pestri
we've got fibre and the main benefit is that the TV streaming is instant - no more buffering at all
And our existing cordless phones work the same, but are not plugged into the wall jack but into the wireless router-thing

geek_kateley, Jun 18, 3:52 pm

Thanks

geek_pestri, Aug 9, 9:16 am

Share this thread