How much has your computer cost? Page 1 / 2

r.g.nixon, Mar 8, 5:24am
The computer I'm using now is up to $83.50 (excludes monitor, keyb, mouse).
Purchased for $1.50, repaired, and several upgrades. Now with SSD, HDD, 4GB of RAM. [Edit: excludes HDD which might have been about $70].

schizoid, Mar 8, 5:33am
More than that. You can do things extremely cheap, if you know where and how to look, and have patience. It's hard to put my own PC into $, because it's been a continuation of parts, ever evolving.

r.g.nixon, Mar 8, 6:02am
My latest buy was $1.50. Was meant to be a 1GB RAM stick, but due to a stuff up he threw in two more!

morticia, Mar 8, 6:23am
This Dell cost me about $15 but the ram in it now came from a dead box that cost about $8 also with good hard drive and DVD writer. I have an identical one in to this the other room that cost $6 and just needed the CPU reseated properly to work. I scored a whole bunch of "dead" machines for $12 a few months ago that just needed some TLC and time to get 4 of them up and running which are now in regular use somewhere in the house.

I love an excuse to play with things that keeps them out of the land fill.

monsieurl, Mar 8, 7:05am
Got about 4k into my current rig but my spare PC after it's final upgrade probably had about 15-20k chucked at it over it's life. i'm all for budget builds but in reality they are never gonna handle high intensive games.

morticia, Mar 8, 7:08am
Not everyone plays PC games. As long as son can use his FlightSim & Acc pack glitch free, it's all good. The rest of us don't bother with games or use the PS3.

stevexc, Mar 8, 7:09am
4k including monitor as it sits currently.

Won't be long before the graphics card gets replaced.

monsieurl, Mar 8, 7:57am
Granted! At the end of the day you get what you pay for and if web-browsing and a few low level games is what you use your PC for then that's all good, me, i play some graphic intensive games and use some pretty high C/GPU using programs with 1080 on 3 screens so no budget computer would ever suit me.

oclaf, Mar 8, 8:02am
Probably 10k - 20k.
There is not much, possibly nothing left of the original circa around 2000, but it's hard to gauge where the old computer ends and the new one starts.
Replacement value of the current setup now is probably about $600.

morticia, Mar 8, 8:07am
lol I'd love the ability to have high end stuff, but then I'd have to find a use for it and I just know I wouldn't do it justice, a bit like driving a Lambo 300 metres up the road to buy milk.

suicidemonkey, Mar 8, 8:39am
My editing computer and monitor is worth over $6000

schizoid, Mar 8, 11:58am
That's the tricky question. I first bought my PC in 2010 and upgraded it incrementally over the last few years. No piece is original anymore. The most drastic change would be when I upgraded the motherboard, CPU and RAM. Maybe you could call it a new computer then?

lythande1, Mar 8, 6:54pm
Who knows, it's been around for years in various forms.
The graphics card got replaced last year - $800 (Trade), the keyboard replaced this year.
As it is a gaming PC my parts tend to be a bit more high end.
The case was $800 when I changed that last. Coolermaster CX Diamond with all the extras.

The oldest bit would be the optical drive, must be coming up 7 years now.

mrfxit, Mar 8, 8:02pm
Zero,
Does what I need it to & has been very reliable for nearly 4 years now on 1 o/s install.
3 other ppl used to "borrow" it from time to time till I put an admin password on it.
Also runs a few other networking jobs

phalanax, Mar 8, 8:05pm
Mine cost $16. (what I paid for the usb wifi plugin). got it off the junkpiles Auckland 4 years ago . laser mouse. led screen. keyboard. it was thrown out because the operating system wouldnt boot. formatted the drive and installed a legit op system someone gave me. its run like a dream since. streams everything fine. p4 3ghz. Over the years ive had over 30 pcs . got them all off the junkpiles. fixed alot of them up and gave them away for free to folk more needy with young kids. never sold any of them.

tillsbury, Mar 9, 3:44am
$6300, this one. On the other hand I sold the one it replaced for $2700 recently so not too bad.

pyro_sniper2002, Mar 9, 4:13am
It was a referb so a bargain at $2800 :)

mrfxit, Mar 9, 4:43am
Yea same with mine.
Skt 775 3.4ghz single core 4gb ddr2 on XP

lucky.gadgets, Mar 9, 4:47am
Some of you running older computers forget about power efficiency and power costs. You might have a computer that cost you under $80 but it'd likely be using up to 300 watts to load up a website when you factor in modern web pages require more more computation which push older cpu's to 100% cpu usage coupled with older PSU's of only 60% efficiency (which drops even more as they age - capacitors drying up)

An older computer could be using 3+ times more power to do the same thing as an entry level modern computer. Over a year that could be costing you $100 in higher power bills. Over a few years, there's the price of a modern computer.

There are many alternative low cost computing solutions which use far far less electricity than an old clunker of a desktop. Raspberry pi's can be had for as little as $25 USD, one of those new windows 8 tablets with the intel atom cpu's for $100, a usb stick style computer that plugs in via hdmi for around $60, a cheap low cost smartphone with hdmi output, all these can be plugged into a computer screen or tv with hdmi input.

mrfxit, Mar 9, 4:54am
Considering most ppl would be putting a new efficient computer on credit each time they upgrade, then the costs associated with that would far outweigh any extra energy used.
Also the average person would never use even 30% of a new computers performance.
Even mine would only be running at about 50% at it's highest loading.

mrfxit, Mar 9, 4:55am
For the average joe bloggs, It's very much in the same boat as buying a new car every 5 years on revolving credit/ finance

mrfxit, Mar 9, 4:59am
Actually now you made me remember a power test I did 3 years ago with 1 of those portable consumption testers.
My computer
Wifes computer
3 other computers owed by various sons including some laptops

Mine was the cheapest desktop to run on an hourly basis.
The laptops were a close 2nd to my desktop computer

mrfxit, Mar 9, 5:05am
This whole power consumption business is very much a personal interpretation until you USE a power tester on each device.

CRT tv's verses LCD tv's are another kicker where everybody says that LCD tv's use a lot less power then a CRT tv

What they don't take in to account is that the LCD tv has a LOT BIGGER screen then the older CRT tv it replaced.
In the end they both use about the same amount of power when comparing something like a 29" CRT & a 50" LCD

The same applies for a lot of other modern tech replacing older tech.
More bells & whistles then before.

tail_red, Mar 9, 6:56am
Hardly $1000 (USD), excluding screen and peripherals of course. But everything I bought was used or refurbished, except the RAM and graphics card.

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1660 (ES version, same as i7-3960X, unlocked), ~$300 shipped from eBay.
Motherboard: Elitegroup X79, ~$150 shipped from China.
RAM: 4 x 4 GB DDR3 1333 MHz, ~$60, bought when RAM was dirt cheap.
Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 290, ~$280 shipped from eBay.
HDD: 512 GB Crucial MX100 SSD, ~$200 shipped from eBay.
Case, PSU, cooler, etc.: Leftovers from my previous PC built 5+ years ago, so basically free.

I know it's far from the cutting edge these days, but it has no noticeable bottleneck (i.e. weak link), does everything I need, and plays every game perfectly fine at 1920 x 1200 resolution.

r.g.nixon, Mar 9, 6:59am
Sounds nice. So that's a 16/10 screen? What size?

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)