Building Websites Free - Advice Wanted

carter441, Feb 13, 1:03am
I am wanting to build a fairly basic website for my small business. It will need a secure shopping function.

I have heard of Wordpress and Wix. Has anyone used these? Pros / Cons? Any advice appreciated. WIth thanks.

joshaz1995, Feb 13, 1:07am
Wordpress is definitely the best. you just need to find a good hosting provider that has setup tools for it, and you're away!

mattnzw, Feb 13, 2:34am
Huge learning curve, especially keeping it all upto date and secure. Hire a professional. Would you do your own dental work.

doggitt, Feb 13, 3:37am
basic website, easy
secure shopping function, not so easy

velenski, Feb 13, 3:47am

carter441, Feb 13, 7:21am
Thanks for this. Sorry, what are: "set-up tools"? I was thinking of using Domains4Less as my hosting provider.

carter441, Feb 13, 7:22am
Fair point but not possible!

csador, Feb 13, 7:33am
wix is pretty good for absolute beginners, you can just drag and drop everything where you want it, however you wont ever be able to move your site away from wix once you've built it

carter441, Feb 13, 7:34am
Thank you. myob/getonline looks interesting but I can't for the life of me find the prices AFTER the 12 months are up! And you can't seem to contact them without signing up to them. Shame, they look good but don't appear to be transparent enough with pricing and contactability!

carter441, Feb 13, 7:36am
Aha! Thats the kind of info I am after! Thanks for this. I thought there would have to be a catch somewhere! I wonder if it's the same deal with WordPress?

mattnzw, Feb 14, 1:16am
You are comparing a software as a service / wix, which you are essentially paying a subscription, but you get support and they handle the backend. Wordpress.org is open source, and you handle the backend coding and updating. But you need a good host, which is also a subscription. Some hosts are really slow with wordpress websites, especally the cheaper ones, so you should contact them and find their speeds first. I would avoid the myob system, as it is very limiting and basic.

apollo77, Feb 16, 8:33am
VISTAPRINT.

mattnzw, Feb 17, 1:02am
Many of these website builders don't rank well in search engines I have found.

newbie5, Feb 17, 1:52am
Use kompozer its free

mattnzw, Feb 17, 5:09am
It is not a CMS, and these days very few websites are static and built that way.

-mung-, Feb 17, 6:54am
There is a learning curve and a big time investment and you should have some affinity to techy things and not be tech illiterate.

Some people here will say "easy" but that really depends on your tacit knowledge. If you don't have that, it could be very hard.

Do you want to concentrate on your business or get caught up in how a website works? What's that worth to you?

newbie5, Feb 17, 9:16am
I use kompozer for all my websites that arnt wordpress blogs
80% of websites on the web are built using this or dreamweaver which kompozer is a copy of but easier to use.

newbie5, Aug 1, 3:28am
go to fiverr.com and you will probably get a good website built for $5

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)