OneDrive back-up

Hi. Thought it about time I backed up my PC and have decided to use OneDrive. I'm on Windows 8.1. It's all a bit confusing but my first question is - do I use OneDrive for holding all documents and photos etc or do I continue to save them as I usually do and then copy to OneDrive. If the later, if I make an amendment to a document will it automatically update the document in OneDrive? Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

geek_nanalu, Aug 7, 5:33 pm

Can anyone help please?

geek_nanalu, Aug 7, 7:59 pm

Save the documents into the OneDrive folder. It's just like a normal folder on your computer, and your documents will get synced to the cloud. When you make changes to a document in the OneDrive folder, it'll automatically back up.

geek_suicidemonkey, Aug 7, 8:07 pm

The only downside to this is the reliability of the internet connection - so it might pay to have a copy on your drive as a backup in case you need to access it when you have no internet access.

geek_mikep, Aug 7, 8:17 pm

Not so much.

If it's in the OneDrive folder on your computer, it is also on your hard drive and you don't need internet access to view the files. It's the same concept as Google Drive and Dropbox.

geek_suicidemonkey, Aug 7, 8:21 pm

Thanks for your help. I'll now have to work out how to get documents and photos from Libraries to OneDrive! Any further advice would be much appreciated.

geek_nanalu, Aug 7, 8:46 pm

Copy and paste or drag and drop.

geek_suicidemonkey, Aug 7, 8:48 pm

imho you are best to buy some backup utility which saves to onedrive. One drive has a file size limit which you will run into sometime. I use Arq for the Mac which is excellent and pretty sure they do windoze version too.

geek_brycer, Aug 7, 8:49 pm

Thanks so much for all the help. Cheers.

geek_nanalu, Mar 15, 5:29 am

Share this thread