Can't open old photo CD on compute, any solutions?

Hi all. I found an old photo CD, I think from around 2000/2001. At that time, I didn't have a digital camera so I always had a digital copy of my photos stored on a photo CD by the photographer who developed and printed my photos.

This morning, I tried to find out which photos are on it. However, when I place the CD in the DVD-player, my computer notices that there is something in it, but can't show me any contents, let alone the photos. I have an ACER Aspire M1800 Desktop Computer running Windows 7. Do you have any solutions for this not very computer savvy person, please?

Screenshot: https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/368380444.jpg

geek_cj_s, Mar 7, 1:45 pm

Either the CD has degraded - quite possible at that age if not stored in a cool dry place - or it was written with an older 'packet driver'. You may need to install another driver (may be hard to track down).

geek_r.g.nixon, Mar 7, 1:49 pm

Thank you. I have no idea what driver I would have to look for and where to find it.

I managed to open a lot of other photo CDs from 2001 onwards. Should I burn the photos on new CDs/DVDs?

geek_cj_s, Mar 7, 2:04 pm

Yes, I would. DVDs should last longer than CDs. You'll be able to copy Around 7 CDs onto 1 DVD.

geek_r.g.nixon, Mar 7, 2:15 pm

But easiest thing to try with the ones that won't read - take it to other people to try - even ones with ancient computers.

geek_r.g.nixon, Mar 7, 2:16 pm

Try it in a DVD player, most will read photo cd's. That way you will know if its any good.

geek_wayne416, Mar 7, 2:41 pm

Yes, I'll do that! Thanks for your advice!

geek_cj_s, Jun 13, 5:24 am

Share this thread