What is a 750GB HDD to 128SSD:$109

Laptop is a 750GB HDD - Is this a Sata drive or ?
What is the difference 750GB HDD and a SSD Drive ?
Why would you upgrade to 128SSD: for $109 ?
Auction - 845320860

geek_apollo77, Feb 16, 9:30 pm

ssd is solide state disc this means its solide nothing rotates .
as in older drives they got a disc rotating where the data is stored on the disc . first computer had magnetic tape the same as music casset tape .
Solid starte is much faster read and write then any older disk
the rest is the storage 750 gigabit of data as the one you post has only 128 gigabite storage

geek_intrade, Feb 16, 9:34 pm

750GB will be a HDD.
The difference: SSD is blindingly faster, quieter, cooler.
You would upgrade for the above differences, as long as you didn't require storage for lots of very large files (videos for example).

geek_r.g.nixon, Feb 16, 9:34 pm

Easy, SSD is faster and solid state drive. NO moving parts and users less power, no brain needed for that choice.

I am looking at changing my laptop to a SSD drive cos it will be better for battery life.

Also mSATA is same again but surface mounting NO cables.

geek_mr_lovebug, Feb 16, 9:36 pm

I've looked at HDD vs SSD power consumption reviews and the difference seems to be negligible

geek_mazdasix, Feb 16, 9:38 pm

Thought all laptops changed a few years ago to Sata drives ? Does the auction say that its got an old school 750gig spinning hard drive ?

geek_apollo77, Feb 16, 9:38 pm

the sata drive is the plug connection there will be the same on ssd older harddrive are ide plugs . they no longer make ide drives. So i had to engeneer a bit on my laptop because the hardrive was dead i have had a ssd but ssd have not got ide conector plugs so i used a ide sata converter and hacksawed the housing apart so i could fit it in my old laptop. panasonic tuffbook make

So yes all drives are no sata as ide was discontineud and is almost non available now unless secoundhand

geek_intrade, Feb 16, 9:39 pm

SATA is just the connection type. Both mechanical hard drives and SSDs can use SATA.

Also most laptops still using mechanical hard drives. Only higher end machines use SSDs

geek_suicidemonkey, Feb 16, 9:40 pm

correct. ide is the problem now .

geek_intrade, Feb 16, 9:42 pm

you want a minimum 240 gig ssd i wish the terrabit ssd would be cheaper then i would fit one of these in here . my specs are below| Uptime 4days | | HDD ATA OCZ-AGILITY3, Storage Size 240GB (66%used)

geek_intrade, Feb 16, 9:49 pm

128GB is fine if either: you store only a few files, you have an external drive, you store most personal stuff in the cloud (OneDrive or Mega.co.nz).

geek_r.g.nixon, Feb 16, 10:54 pm

SSD also has the benefit of almost zero risk of failure due to shock

geek_lostdude, Feb 16, 11:13 pm

tell that to my sledge hammer :P

geek_mazdasix, Feb 16, 11:14 pm

Sorry, worded that incorrectly, should have added "accidental" shock lol

geek_lostdude, Feb 17, 10:41 am

geek_kevin16, Feb 17, 11:17 am

i have a replacment 60 gigabit one for my first one, it died under warranty corsair force 60 gigabit ssd also you destroy a ssd if you dont turn off defrag

geek_intrade, Feb 17, 12:35 pm

Modern OS's know not to defrag SSDs.

geek_r.g.nixon, Feb 17, 1:32 pm

Intel Toolbox says my 40GB SSD has 97% of its estimated lifespan left. That is after 2.5 years use. So it should last another 32 years - but will I?

geek_r.g.nixon, Feb 17, 1:39 pm

SSD life depends a lot on the quality of the drive - something like an Intel 730 or Samsung 850 Pro will comfortably outlast the rest of the system whereas low end models are hit or miss (brands like OCZ sell some total rubbish)

geek_vtecintegra, Feb 17, 1:44 pm

yes we have four ocz, and one samsung ssd drives. Hubby bought his first ocz around four years ago. One had a failure. The others have been fine

geek_nice_lady, Feb 17, 2:53 pm

Anyone here has feedback/experience about those SSHD, like those recently advertised here:

http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=m&p=HDDSE5210_HDDSE5220_HDDSE5240&utm_source=Gaming&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Retail&utm_content=gaming_30&qr=ec_gaming_30

Would they be a great improvement on most desktops or would other components possibly negate their advantages?

geek_zak410, Feb 17, 6:03 pm

They don't really have enough cache and what they do have is a lot slower than a real ssd.

Personally I think that on a desktop it is worth spending some extra to go for a real ssd + normal hard disk.

geek_vtecintegra, Feb 17, 6:06 pm

I've got a couple of the SSHD drives in 2 of my desktops - while they are slightly faster than normal HDD, as mentioned above not enough cache to make any substantial increase in speed.

Also have the SSD (120GB) + HDD (2TB) combo in a desktop. OS and programs, and some temp storage on the SSD, and media storage on the HDD. Definitely agree with above - this is the way to go if you want a fast responsive system, with plenty of cheap storage.

Recent article in APC Mag about hybrid drives here.
http://apcmag.com/hybrid-drives-a-realistic-alternative-to-an-ssd.htm

geek_clip1, Feb 17, 6:28 pm

We've deployed quite a few desktops and laptops with SSHDs (about 20 in the last quarter) and there is no consistency with speed. Some "learn" to cache Windows boot files quickly and boot just as quick as an SSD, others take their time. The average restart rate I've counted so far is around 5 reboots for the drives to cache correctly (these are all Windows 7 mind you).

geek_lostdude, Feb 17, 7:09 pm

Cool, thanks for your informative replies.

geek_zak410, Feb 18, 9:11 am

Those upgrade prices are a rip off. You might aswell buy the thing with 750GB HDD, and buy a new SSD. At least you get to keep the 750GB drive that way.

geek_black-heart, Feb 18, 9:35 am

True that.

geek_hakatere1, Jul 31, 3:17 pm

Share this thread