HP Laptop

bought Laptop today- kids think I have bought a lemon; should have got an Acer not HP ;
any one think the same

geek_issymae, Feb 19, 6:20 pm

Ive got an Hp. works fine. daughter has one too and has had no problems either. Mine was a cheap one, hers she spent $1600 on.

geek_neville26, Feb 19, 6:34 pm

if you paid less than 700 you probably got something good enough for email/browsing etc but not much more.
As with all manufacturers HP have some good models, but they also have some crap

geek_king1, Feb 19, 6:48 pm

it is HP 15 ; was $899 down to $499 with $90 bag free

geek_issymae, Feb 19, 9:07 pm

Acers are extremely unreliable and most would agree with me. They constantly rank the lowest on reliability surveys. So no, you shouldn't have got an Acer. Stay away.

HP is generally fine. Not the most reliable brand, not the least reliable either.

Don't stress. You have a warranty for a reason.

geek_suicidemonkey, Feb 19, 9:48 pm

I'd get HP over Acer any day.

geek_aoc1, Feb 19, 9:51 pm

Same

geek_wenpen, Feb 19, 9:52 pm

I believe Sony actually made the bottom of the most recent list.

It really depends on what you got. What are the specs like? With a lot of brands, you really get what you pay for. My 3 year old $1400 Acer is still going strong. But if you buy at the budget end, HP, Acer et al. chances are you'll get a stinker.

geek_schizoid, Feb 19, 10:02 pm

Sony? Surprising. But then again, Apple have occasionally been towards the bottom too.

True what you said though. Any brand's budget laptops are going to be hit or miss. They have to cut costs somewhere after all.

geek_suicidemonkey, Feb 19, 10:12 pm

I think I must have been thinking of this. http://blog.laptopmag.com/best-worst-laptop-brands-2014/3 Of course one list is not exactly definitive. For example theres also this for balance. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0%2c2817%2c2452946%2c00.asp

If anything, there is at least a similar story at the top brands coming in.

geek_schizoid, Feb 19, 10:21 pm

Then in that price bracket you have bought a low spec'd model. Your choice of model versus your expectations may well be the lemon, not the laptop itself.

geek_ross1970, Feb 19, 10:57 pm

You get what you pay for. I've been selling business grade laptops for years, and acer have the longest standard warranties. and very good warranty service. I would avoid HP's simply because of their terrible service when things do go wrong.

geek_black-heart, Feb 19, 11:10 pm

lol. Dove reseller right there.

geek_tom9, Feb 19, 11:19 pm

You wouldn't need to deal with HP directly if you purchase from a registered reseller. I.e. PBTech which also happens to have a service centre that handles warranty claims.

geek_lostdude, Feb 19, 11:19 pm

Having repaired many brands of Laptops over the years I have my personal favourites obviously, but one of the things I rate highly is the availability of spare parts, and not things like hard drives which you can just about get at the local dairy, but more things like keyboards, LCD hinges, covers, and the electronics like mainboards, power-button boards, AC connectors etc. It is very rare that most of the leading brands like HP, Lenovo, Toshiba would not be able to source any of these particular parts for models often quite old, 5 years or more. My experience with Acer (and to a lesser degree with Dell) however is the exact opposite. Frequent non-stock of common items, and regular substitutions with parts that are 'close, but not quite' and causing the repairer to make compromises.

geek_cookee_nz, Feb 20, 7:11 am

Ditto that!

geek_cookee_nz, Feb 20, 7:12 am

thanks for all comments; think should be OK for me- not business or gaming ;just a golden oldie dabbling in genealogy, volunteering with senior net, needing to Skype and possibly getting books from library;have perfectly OK home PC, only have any issues with grandies when they been doing unknown things on it

geek_issymae, Feb 20, 8:43 am

Acer is far more of a 'lemon' to be honest

At least you didnt get a lenovo - http://www.engadget.com/2015/02/19/lenovo-superfish-adware-preinstalled/

geek_csador, Jul 27, 5:02 am

Share this thread