Deleting old OS

After Win 10 install has anybody used Disk Cleanup to delete previous OS files.? There's about 23GB of them on this comp. (Win 7 I assume)

geek_skyblue17, Aug 9, 3:14 pm

I'm sure they have. Google knows.

geek_r.g.nixon, Aug 9, 3:45 pm

Windows Old folder do you mean. You cant delete it until the system releases its grip on it, about 28 days i think after it was created then if you wish just delete like any other folder. You have i think 30 days to return to previous system through recovery if you want or if you lost any personal files during upgrade they will be in that folder.

geek_wayne416, Aug 9, 4:44 pm

Wrong, Deleted mine straight away.

geek_ross1970, Aug 9, 5:26 pm

Yes that's right

geek_nice_lady, Aug 9, 5:31 pm

What if you have 'factory restore' on a different partition, will that remains after updating to W10?. just curious.

geek_zak410, Aug 9, 5:44 pm

If they know more about computers than the average user, sure. If everybody knew more they wouldn't ask. http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2066-windows-old-folder-delete-windows-10-a.html

geek_wayne416, Aug 9, 6:26 pm

I wish I could delete Windows 8 from my memory. not my computer memory, my own memory.

geek_trevenco, Aug 9, 7:29 pm

You don't need to (and shouldn't do) any of that - just run the disk cleanup wizard like a normal person

geek_vtecintegra, Aug 9, 7:34 pm

Thats what it says to do. Not many 'normal' computer users i know even know disc cleanup even exists.

geek_wayne416, Aug 9, 8:10 pm

use the inbuilt disk cleanup tool, i did it the day i installed win 10

geek_csador, Aug 9, 8:13 pm

Thanks. I have Win 7 and assoc. files on an external HD if I ever need it. I was thinking more about just tidying up and reclaiming a bit of SSD. Win 10 is doing the job so far.

geek_skyblue17, Aug 9, 8:15 pm

yeah, theres no way i want 30+gb wasting space on my SSD either, theres no way i would ever revert back anyway, when you work in IT you cant stay in the past :)

geek_csador, Mar 8, 9:12 am

Share this thread