Windows 8.1 Page 1 / 2

luxy, Mar 13, 7:09am
I bought a as new computer with windows 8.1. can i reconfigure it for windows vista. 8.1 is just crap. cheers

suicidemonkey, Mar 13, 7:13am
Not easily and not for free. And also Vista is getting old now, no reason to go back to it.

Just download Classic Shell if you want to get rid of the new interface.
http://www.classicshell.net

cookee_nz, Mar 13, 7:23am
agreed, if you install classic shell you can make it look and feel very much like the windows you are used to, but still have the w8 capability if you want it. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed :-)

d.snell, Mar 13, 7:28am
No need for classic shell in 8.1. It was bought out to fix the inadequacies of win 8. These were fixed by MS with 8.1, but instead of dying a natural death, it was continued with, and now is a big pain.
Also, with 10 out in the next few months, it will corrupt the upgrade if it's running.
Time to say "you had your uses in the past and did a bloody good job, but now it's time to bow out and die quietly. "

vtecintegra, Mar 13, 7:35am
That is really debateble.

suicidemonkey, Mar 13, 8:47am
How will classic shell corrupt the upgrade? It's a simple application that returns the start menu functionality. 8.1 doesn't have a start menu (aside from the stupid tile UI), so I'm not sure how 8.1 fixed anything.

d.snell, Mar 14, 10:40am
Because a start menu is so unnecessary, It's just what we have been used too, so we think it is a necessity.
An example would be our cars. We no longer have keys, we don't have choke knobs any more, we don't have window winders, we have automatic light switches and the list goes on. It's called progress, and windows start menu's are in the same boat, totally old hat and out-dated.

r.g.nixon, Mar 14, 10:50am
Not for me, I have so many programs that I categorise under sub-headings - that I need to see a list before deciding which program to launch for a certain purpose.

ntalke, Mar 14, 4:50pm

d.snell, Mar 14, 9:23pm
I seldom launch a program on it's own. I work with files, I have created and they are associated to a program to open them, So all I really need is access to my folders and a few commonly used apps such as email, my browser etc and those I can pin to my taskbar or start menu.
The others are easily accessible using the apps list, so I don't really see the point of having a huge list of every program on a start menu. It's like users that have 200 icons on the desktop, cluttered and ,in the end, unproductive. But, I guess, that's the difference between the "Modern" way and the "Dinosaur" way and, for some, it's very hard to forget the old way.
Habits are just so set in stone and it's the IT Professionals that SHOULD be taking the lead and by example, teaching user's new habits. But, it's usually that group that has the most to learn and are actually perpetuating the problem by passing THEIR bad habits onto their customers. Time to take a step forward, not hold everyone back because YOU are not confident to move forward.

ctnz, Mar 14, 9:47pm
I can understand if there are problem with the systems but a lot of the Windows 8 complaints seem to be along the lines "oh its different I cannot cope" seriously harden the technological fuck up. As to pining for Vista WTF!

vtecintegra, Mar 14, 10:25pm
Change is fine when it is for the better but this is NOT the case here.

Fact is almost every change made in Windows 8 was part of Microsoft's (failed) attempted to muscle their way into the tablet market and it compromised the experience on 'normal' non=tablet systems

d.snell, Mar 14, 10:35pm
Says you.
That doesn't mean you are right, that just means you can't or won't change.
I find new computer users who start on 8.1 have no problems whatsoever using it, far more receptive than similar groups when XP was released. In fact, every version of windows has made it easier and faster to use.
The biggest difficulty, by far, is IT Professionals who are lazy and aren't prepared to move with the changes. Trying to hold everyone back with their "opinions" of new systems.

king1, Mar 14, 10:40pm
What I don't get is why the need to only have a single unified UI as win8 is trying to do.
Folks use computers in different ways - sometimes a dumbed down version is appropriate where the complexity is hidden from the user and you open an app for everything. Other times the traditional UI is appropriate.
My point is people should have the choice. Arguing that folks should accept the new norm just because someone said it is so, is just plain dumb. Sheep come to mind here

king1, Mar 14, 10:48pm
'says you' is something a five year old would say, come on. You're doing nothing different from the so-called lazy IT professionals in pushing your viewpoint

soodanim, Mar 14, 11:12pm
Just because it's different, doesn't mean it's crap. You've tried it for how long? Try learning about where everything is. It's WAY better than Vista. Vista might have been the worst operating systems that Microsoft ever did.

soodanim, Mar 14, 11:16pm
And you can do that on the Windows 8 (and 8.1) in fact I find it a lot tidier and easier.

d.snell, Mar 14, 11:19pm
I agree to a certain extent, Arguing that folks should accept the new is really no different to arguing that the new is "crap". It's personal choice, but it should be a balanced argument, and that's where the IT Profession needs to step up and accept that there are other ways of doing things, rather than they way they used to do things. It's a new O/S , so needs new processes to work it. Learn these processes, teach these processes and move forward with your customers, don't hold them back with BS attitudes, because you can't or won't learn. That is my point.

r.g.nixon, Mar 14, 11:40pm
I'll have to try that. So at the moment I can see all my dozen or so mapping applications with one mouse click and a couple of movements to the right. Do I also get the following two lists? 1. A list of recently opened programs. 2. A list of recently opened files.

king1, Mar 15, 12:29am
in a perfect world folks would have a choice of either, since they each serve different purposes.

puddleduck00, Mar 15, 12:40am
I like Windows 8.1. I never used the start menu anyway, I found it inefficient and cluttered. OS X and Ubuntu don't have start menus and they're a breeze to use.

If you learn a few shortcuts on Windows 8, it makes using it that much easier. Don't fight with it!

wayne416, Mar 15, 12:41am

soodanim, Mar 15, 12:43am
You can "customise" it. I have very little on it. basically shortcuts to where I need to get and some programs. Once I sorted that out I find works well.

puddleduck00, Mar 15, 12:50am
Yeah it's mildly customisable without going to any great lengths. I personally like that if you don't have a tile for a specific program on the start screen, you can just hit ctrl tab to see a list of programs and begin typing the name immediately to search it. This method would win a race hands down compared with messing about with a start menu.

d.snell, Mar 15, 1:22am
They do to a certain extent. Tile or Desktop, 8.1, 8.1 pro, 8.1 enterprise, and of course the windows server family of products. I suppose you want a crescent in your toolbox, one size fits all, but while those are convenient, they can round of nuts if not used correctly. Some prefer to get a tool that does one job,and does it very well and that's certainly not a "home" version of anything.

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)