Windows 8.1

I bought a as new computer with windows 8.1. can i reconfigure it for windows vista. 8.1 is just crap. cheers

geek_luxy, Mar 13, 8:09 pm

Not easily and not for free. And also Vista is getting old now, no reason to go back to it.

Just download Classic Shell if you want to get rid of the new interface.
http://www.classicshell.net

geek_suicidemonkey, Mar 13, 8:13 pm

agreed, if you install classic shell you can make it look and feel very much like the windows you are used to, but still have the w8 capability if you want it. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed :-)

geek_cookee_nz, Mar 13, 8:23 pm

No need for classic shell in 8.1. It was bought out to fix the inadequacies of win 8. These were fixed by MS with 8.1, but instead of dying a natural death, it was continued with, and now is a big pain.
Also, with 10 out in the next few months, it will corrupt the upgrade if it's running.
Time to say "you had your uses in the past and did a bloody good job, but now it's time to bow out and die quietly. "

geek_d.snell, Mar 13, 8:28 pm

That is really debateble.

geek_vtecintegra, Mar 13, 8:35 pm

How will classic shell corrupt the upgrade? It's a simple application that returns the start menu functionality. 8.1 doesn't have a start menu (aside from the stupid tile UI), so I'm not sure how 8.1 fixed anything.

geek_suicidemonkey, Mar 13, 9:47 pm

Because a start menu is so unnecessary, It's just what we have been used too, so we think it is a necessity.
An example would be our cars. We no longer have keys, we don't have choke knobs any more, we don't have window winders, we have automatic light switches and the list goes on. It's called progress, and windows start menu's are in the same boat, totally old hat and out-dated.

geek_d.snell, Mar 14, 11:40 pm

Not for me, I have so many programs that I categorise under sub-headings - that I need to see a list before deciding which program to launch for a certain purpose.

geek_r.g.nixon, Mar 14, 11:50 pm

geek_ntalke, Mar 15, 5:50 am

I seldom launch a program on it's own. I work with files, I have created and they are associated to a program to open them, So all I really need is access to my folders and a few commonly used apps such as email, my browser etc and those I can pin to my taskbar or start menu.
The others are easily accessible using the apps list, so I don't really see the point of having a huge list of every program on a start menu. It's like users that have 200 icons on the desktop, cluttered and ,in the end, unproductive. But, I guess, that's the difference between the "Modern" way and the "Dinosaur" way and, for some, it's very hard to forget the old way.
Habits are just so set in stone and it's the IT Professionals that SHOULD be taking the lead and by example, teaching user's new habits. But, it's usually that group that has the most to learn and are actually perpetuating the problem by passing THEIR bad habits onto their customers. Time to take a step forward, not hold everyone back because YOU are not confident to move forward.

geek_d.snell, Mar 15, 10:23 am

I can understand if there are problem with the systems but a lot of the Windows 8 complaints seem to be along the lines "oh its different I cannot cope" seriously harden the technological fuck up. As to pining for Vista WTF!

geek_ctnz, Mar 15, 10:47 am

Change is fine when it is for the better but this is NOT the case here.

Fact is almost every change made in Windows 8 was part of Microsoft's (failed) attempted to muscle their way into the tablet market and it compromised the experience on 'normal' non=tablet systems

geek_vtecintegra, Mar 15, 11:25 am

Says you.
That doesn't mean you are right, that just means you can't or won't change.
I find new computer users who start on 8.1 have no problems whatsoever using it, far more receptive than similar groups when XP was released. In fact, every version of windows has made it easier and faster to use.
The biggest difficulty, by far, is IT Professionals who are lazy and aren't prepared to move with the changes. Trying to hold everyone back with their "opinions" of new systems.

geek_d.snell, Mar 15, 11:35 am

What I don't get is why the need to only have a single unified UI as win8 is trying to do.
Folks use computers in different ways - sometimes a dumbed down version is appropriate where the complexity is hidden from the user and you open an app for everything. Other times the traditional UI is appropriate.
My point is people should have the choice. Arguing that folks should accept the new norm just because someone said it is so, is just plain dumb. Sheep come to mind here

geek_king1, Mar 15, 11:40 am

'says you' is something a five year old would say, come on. You're doing nothing different from the so-called lazy IT professionals in pushing your viewpoint

geek_king1, Mar 15, 11:48 am

Just because it's different, doesn't mean it's crap. You've tried it for how long? Try learning about where everything is. It's WAY better than Vista. Vista might have been the worst operating systems that Microsoft ever did.

geek_soodanim, Mar 15, 12:12 pm

And you can do that on the Windows 8 (and 8.1) in fact I find it a lot tidier and easier.

geek_soodanim, Mar 15, 12:16 pm

I agree to a certain extent, Arguing that folks should accept the new is really no different to arguing that the new is "crap". It's personal choice, but it should be a balanced argument, and that's where the IT Profession needs to step up and accept that there are other ways of doing things, rather than they way they used to do things. It's a new O/S , so needs new processes to work it. Learn these processes, teach these processes and move forward with your customers, don't hold them back with BS attitudes, because you can't or won't learn. That is my point.

geek_d.snell, Mar 15, 12:19 pm

I'll have to try that. So at the moment I can see all my dozen or so mapping applications with one mouse click and a couple of movements to the right. Do I also get the following two lists? 1. A list of recently opened programs. 2. A list of recently opened files.

geek_r.g.nixon, Mar 15, 12:40 pm

in a perfect world folks would have a choice of either, since they each serve different purposes.

geek_king1, Mar 15, 1:29 pm

I like Windows 8.1. I never used the start menu anyway, I found it inefficient and cluttered. OS X and Ubuntu don't have start menus and they're a breeze to use.

If you learn a few shortcuts on Windows 8, it makes using it that much easier. Don't fight with it!

geek_puddleduck00, Mar 15, 1:40 pm

geek_wayne416, Mar 15, 1:41 pm

You can "customise" it. I have very little on it. basically shortcuts to where I need to get and some programs. Once I sorted that out I find works well.

geek_soodanim, Mar 15, 1:43 pm

Yeah it's mildly customisable without going to any great lengths. I personally like that if you don't have a tile for a specific program on the start screen, you can just hit ctrl tab to see a list of programs and begin typing the name immediately to search it. This method would win a race hands down compared with messing about with a start menu.

geek_puddleduck00, Mar 15, 1:50 pm

They do to a certain extent. Tile or Desktop, 8.1, 8.1 pro, 8.1 enterprise, and of course the windows server family of products. I suppose you want a crescent in your toolbox, one size fits all, but while those are convenient, they can round of nuts if not used correctly. Some prefer to get a tool that does one job,and does it very well and that's certainly not a "home" version of anything.

geek_d.snell, Mar 15, 2:22 pm

It doesn't mean I'm wrong either, and Microsofts back-pedaling (first on 8.1, then on the 10 TP) would tend suggest they agree to some extent.

Different isn't necessarily worse, but by the same token it isn't necessarily better

geek_vtecintegra, Mar 15, 2:44 pm

Uhhh no, search worked in exactly the same way on the on the Windows 7 start menu

geek_vtecintegra, Mar 15, 2:45 pm

Actually i have been suggesting that one size does not fit all

geek_king1, Mar 15, 3:03 pm

The Start menu contains shortcuts either created by the user or the software in install. The App screen in Windows 8 is a complete list of installed applications. It's not the same at all. Not to mention you have the ability to sort the apps however you choose.

geek_puddleduck00, Mar 15, 7:00 pm

Actually behind the scenes it works exactly the same way for desktop apps - go have a look in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roam-
ing\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

geek_vtecintegra, Mar 15, 7:10 pm

The windows 8/8.1 Start Screen (Metro) becomes a mess when left to its defaults because every install litters it with a number of icons.

I litter the task bar with the applications I use frequently, so that I can start them easily when required - but it isn't a standard way across machines - e.g, Win-6 for me starts Excel, but won't on yours.

ClassicShell was at least a way to return that consistency lost by Msoft.

At least Microsoft have seen the folly in their ways (Win 8/8.1 UI) and will be making changes to the start menu. Hopefully those others can make the required changes they speak off and, by doing so, catch up with the rest of us.

geek_soundsgood, Mar 15, 7:31 pm

I stand corrected. I actually hadn't even realised that, I haven't had the need to navigate my way to the hidden AppData folder. Interesting.

I was always anti start menu because I found it such a dog with so many tiers that popped out and the tiny little icons. So I don't miss it at all. Many people do though.

geek_puddleduck00, Mar 15, 7:39 pm

[quote=puddleduck00
I was always anti start menu because I found it such a dog with so many tiers that popped out and the tiny little icons. So I don't miss it at all. Many people do though.[/quote]

Well it's pretty much back in 10 anyway.

geek_vtecintegra, Mar 16, 1:14 am

The place to teach the people is at primary school. Old people will never change.

geek_hakatere1, Mar 16, 6:22 am

Windows ME (Millennium) has got to come a close second.

geek_hakatere1, Mar 16, 6:29 am

we can do without gutter language in this forum, there are other superlatives much more effective to get your point across. As for dissing OP for the reference to Vista, I suspect OP never had W7 and went straight from Vista to W8, and that can be quite a challenge for many people. Had OP asked to have the W7 experience rather than Vista (as per similar past topics) there'd have been hardly a murmur. Some people just don't like W8 and should be free to express that preference without being belittled.

geek_cookee_nz, Mar 16, 8:03 am

That's rubbish.
Seniornet is full of "old" people retraining. And, usually, they are far more receptive than some smart arse 20 or 30 year old.

geek_d.snell, Mar 16, 11:40 am

More receptive to bad UI changes? Maybe.

geek_vtecintegra, Mar 16, 12:08 pm

they are choosing to retrain - they are not being forced into it for no good reason.

And your argument that IT pros should take responsibility for retraining their clients has a fairly major flaw in that the time required to bring these clients up to speed needs to be charged out. A lot of them will need far more time than they are willing to pay.

geek_king1, Mar 16, 12:21 pm

Thanks

geek_patxyz, Mar 16, 9:19 pm

Take some time to get pissed off with 8.1 . its normal. its different- you will be frustrated cos all the shit is in a different place bro- but part of learning = is part of the challenge of taking the time to learn- its really not that hard - its just has a different way of presenting - take a bit more time . before you abandon all hope .

geek_apollo77, Mar 16, 9:30 pm

Windows 8 was awful for productivity with those Metro aps that took up the whole screen hiding any documents or browsers behind them and with no obvious way to tile them like you could on the desktop. Arghhh. Great on a touchscreen though, and fast.

geek_rozendaal, Mar 19, 11:08 pm

What peeved me about 8.1 was when you tried to run an app like Skype, it wanted a account number which I don't have and don't want. Plus all the shovelware that takes up HD room.

Arthur

geek_twinoaks1, Mar 20, 1:54 pm

I don't use any Metro / Modern / Windows Store / Universal apps (yes they have that many names!).
Long live the *Desktop*!

geek_r.g.nixon, Mar 20, 2:08 pm

I'm using win7 ultimate sp1. Can't believe a man who makes NZD $6m per day for 39 years couldn't afford to hire someone to sort the control panel entries in alphabetical orders!
I'm using my iPad and iPod for Internet half the time.

geek_microft768, Mar 20, 11:37 pm

win7 ultimate sp1 the downs:
Need to run the lan network shortcut twice to connect to the internet, that's to enable the hardware device for lan or USB wifi
Search engine can't switch between on old day Xp and win7 in few seconds time.
Always worried about win7's search failure that may ended up deleting a folder which the search engine failed to show a "safe" result .
Need to disable the firewall on the "public" field to be able to log in to the Hotmail.

geek_microft768, Mar 20, 11:42 pm

Time to look away from our world and throw $ to save endless numbers of "ant" in Africa so we can gain more cheap labours to grow more trees

geek_microft768, May 4, 10:03 am

Share this thread