Celeron to Intel

Have a Compaq laptop with a u/s hard drive(celeron) Is it possible to repace this with an Intel oneThks

geek_gazzat22, May 13, 10:50 am

Not sure what you mean by "u/s" hard drive. Celeron is a variety of intel CPU.

geek_bwg11, May 13, 10:54 am

No, if I understand you. The 'celeron' is a lower speed CPU made by Intel. You almost can never replace the CPU in a laptop.

geek_r.g.nixon, May 13, 10:55 am

If your hard drive is unserviceable (how do you know it is the hard drive?) you can usually replace it.

geek_piperguy, May 13, 11:46 am

Took it to a repair shop and was advisedHard drive was stuffed /$120.for new hard drive + $100 odd for reprogramming etc but as it is celeron hardly worth it.Hope that makes computer sense.Think i will deep six it. thks

geek_gazzat22, May 13, 11:57 am

Celeron is a type of CPU made by Intel. Neither of them are hard drives.

geek_suicidemonkey, May 13, 12:12 pm

I wouldnt waste any money on a celeron system either, depending on the model it can be worth upgrading to a multi core CPU if the motherboard supports it, but i rarely if ever upgrade CPU's on a laptop unless i have some good secondhand parts floating around etc.

geek_nzoomed, May 13, 12:41 pm

If it's just the Hard drive why are you wanting to spend more on CPU replacement too?
Are you sure the Hard drive is "stuffed"? the repair shop not pulling a fast one on you are they?

geek_neoslowmo, May 13, 12:51 pm

There is a possibility to upgrade the CPU, but that would depend on the BIOS and what upgrades there were. Compaq tend to bring out notebooks with the same motherboards, but faster cpu's. It would depend on the architecture of your notebook's motherboard as to how far you could go up the ladder, CPU wise. Pentium Mobile Duo's are a dime a dozen, so it wouldn't cost much at all, maybe $20. Your real problem is the faulty HDD and what factory o/s came with the notebook. Anything earlier than 7, it's best new home is the bin. If 7, then a glimmer of hope. Reloading the software will be made more difficult if Recovery DVD's weren't created, so I guess that's where the $100 to "reprogram" is going.
IMHO, put the $250 towards buying a new I3 or better and the first thing to do when you get it is to make a Recovery Set on a USB stick and store it away for emergencies.

geek_d.snell, May 13, 1:03 pm

I don't think OP was meaning replacing the CPU. I think it was the HDD that needed replacing, but the terminology was off.

geek_suicidemonkey, May 13, 1:07 pm

Maybe things have changed in recent years to soldered to the board being the norm in laptops, but until about 4 years ago when i was last actively working on laptops you could replace the CPU much like you can on a desktop. Finding something compatible for sale was not quite so easy.

geek_pyro_sniper2002, May 13, 1:14 pm

Yep, I have 5 x 60litre bins of laptop parts, I would guess about 100 different models in total and probably only be about 5 without socketed CPU's.

geek_d.snell, May 13, 1:21 pm

Most modern Intel laptop have a soldered BGA processor - only some of the higher voltage models are still using PGA (and these are getting rarer)

geek_vtecintegra, May 13, 2:57 pm

If laptop CPU's so often cant be changed, how come there are so many being sold here? (Genuine question, I've never attemped to change one before).

I know this is most definitely the case with laptop graphics however, excluding the odd MXM cards.

As far as the OP's question goes, there needs to be a lot more info added before a definitive answer can be given.

geek_schizoid, May 13, 5:58 pm

There aren't that many, and most of the ones there are quite old models

geek_vtecintegra, May 13, 6:21 pm

Depends on your interpretation of "quite old". Plenty of Pentium Core 2 Duo's Socket P's out there.

geek_d.snell, May 13, 6:41 pm

8 years is old in computer terms

geek_vtecintegra, May 13, 6:59 pm

As I interpreted OP the HD wants replacing.Change a CPU & you have to
upgrade all components.So what's with all the shit advice tonight? You
cannot change the CPU on a laptop.No matter what socket or what MB
documentation states.

geek_deodar1, May 13, 7:18 pm

You can interpret the OP any way you like but it is far from clear what they mean

geek_vtecintegra, May 13, 7:25 pm

Why can't you? I have replaced quite a few with higher spec'd CPU's over the years. Had a couple that weren't recognised correctly until the BIOS was updated, but that was the only issue.

geek_d.snell, May 13, 7:46 pm

The HDD needs replacing. Has been quoted $100 odd but is wondering if it is worth sinking that much into a crappy Celeron machine. So is wondering if it's also possible to upgrade the Celeron CPU.

Problem is, without knowing the model number it's impossible to say whether or not it can be upgraded. Also, if its a recent model chances are the Celeron is fine for the job anyway.

geek_schizoid, May 13, 7:59 pm

Laptops?

geek_deodar1, May 13, 8:24 pm

Yes, quite a few. A couple of Toshiba's, Compaqs and Dell's. I'm sure I've upgraded an Acer at some stage as well. Most manufacturers made laptops with identical boards and the only difference was the HDD size and CPU type or speed. Celeron Socket M and P can easily be upgrade to Core 2 Duo's. I suspect sockets G1,2 and 3 will have some interchangeability for I3's to I7's, but haven't had a reason to try one yet. Not that familiar with AMD, but I suspect similar issues and compatibilities

geek_d.snell, May 13, 9:28 pm

can you post the exact model of the unit, the model code is underneath or in battery bay next to serial no. Be in the format AB123DE#ABG

geek_cookee_nz, May 14, 6:52 am

Another option.
If you have restore discs for it, you can buy a used hard drive for $25-50 on your favourite auction site. Bolt it in and restore the machine to factory yourself (or with the help of neighbourhood teenager)

Spending $50 to get the old Celeron going may be worthwhile.

geek_ianab, May 14, 11:41 am

Translation:
It will cost $220 to fix your laptop (bit pricey perhaps, but probably about right). But your technician is nice and has been honest with you/ Because your laptop is a Celeron (Very old, slow and pretty much worthless), you are probably best not to opt for repair, but put that money towards a newer laptop.

geek_oclaf, May 14, 2:27 pm

You do realise you can still get Celeron CPU's right? A modern one, while not very good stacked up against a i3/i5/whatever, is still good enough for basic PC use.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/celeron/celeron-processor.html

Though maybe if the "tech" said it wasn't worth it, it did happen to be on the old side. Seeing as the OP has probably abandoned this thread, guess we'll never know.

geek_schizoid, May 14, 4:06 pm

But are they mobile CPU's or desktop ones?
Most CPU's in laptops have a different socket although some models do take desktop CPU's, but they consume more power and have a much larger heatsink.

Either way i wouldnt waste my time installing another celeron.

geek_nzoomed, May 15, 10:32 am

Thanks all,have decided to junk it.Have a new laptop anyhow ,was one i bought for granddaughter but son in law bought home one from work.Thanks again

geek_gazzat22, Nov 25, 3:03 pm

Share this thread