Lots of people having issues with windows 10

Apparently being unable to enter a password when the login screen appears.
Ive seen it happen on one computer with the pre release edition, but ive had a few people ring me about this in the last week.
Usually ive had to revert back to windows 8.1 or 7 to make the computer usable.
Anyone else come across this?

geek_nzoomed, Aug 10, 12:43 pm

once but that was due to her forgetting the password - reset it using utilman hack and away it goes. Or are you suggesting you can't even access the password textbox

geek_king1, Aug 10, 12:49 pm

Thats right you click on your account name and nothing happens, no textbox appears. I cant find alot of info on this but i was seeing it in the pre release edition also.

geek_nzoomed, Aug 10, 5:31 pm

Yes ive been trying to tell people to hold back from upgrading until all the bugs are sorted out. Driver support is still very poor too. Could be a while before the manufacturers release enough updates.

geek_nzoomed, Aug 10, 5:33 pm

Updated an ASUS T100 today. Was a bit worried after seeing touchpad issues from some people. The update went fine, including "wait while touchpad driver is updated in the background".

geek_r.g.nixon, Aug 10, 5:38 pm

I had that problem wouldn't accept any password I tried. At the bottom of screen was a wee sentence saying "you are not boop2" I was so peed off with trying to get in I clicked on that thinking I AM boop2 and guess what it opened!

geek_boop2, Aug 10, 7:37 pm

Why can you not use a password as you do with other operating systems.
Neither of my comps vista and Win 7 use passwords

geek_newbie5, Aug 10, 9:14 pm

My thinking is most issues will be with people upgrading? Clean install is always the best bet IMO.

geek_suicidemonkey, Aug 10, 9:29 pm

Well, yes i tend to agree, however its M$ who have chosen to do this free rollout as an upgrade, so i expect we will see more issues as more people upgrade.
All affected machines ive seen were upgrades, but i really wonder how well they have tested everything.

geek_nzoomed, Aug 10, 11:45 pm

Gotta upgrade before you can clean-install, unless you want to pay for it.

And 99.7% of people getting the upgrade won't know what a clean-install is, or how to do it.

geek_lugee, Aug 11, 12:08 am

The update has been trying to force itself on me

I've got Ubutnu waiting for when it happens.

Signing 10 Eula gives the NSA more warrant to come through their backdoor and flip off hardware/software they feel you shouldn't have.

And the overall OS (if you're trying to cling desperately to 8.1) is taking more control over itself forcing updates and sending itself into long, unplanned, updating cycles.

Quite devastating if you need your PC available during certain times for your job.

It was pointed out to me that Ubutnu is more complicated but it's probably time I become minimalistic in my computer hobbies; learning Linux being one of them. Save more $ in the long run.

geek_harrymay, Aug 11, 6:04 am

I think Bill is running scared because all of the big pants, storm-trooping, esiponage tactics in the past have chased people to tablets. Even young people nowadays are introduced quicker to iOS as word of mouth is that PC has become more of a hassle than ever.

geek_harrymay, Aug 11, 6:08 am

buggy pile of crap !

geek_velenski, Aug 11, 7:30 pm

News to me, ours are working fine.

geek_jhan, Aug 11, 7:44 pm

I have an uneasy feeling about the P2P updates, I'm sure hackers are already trying to break into it to use it to spread malware. Imagine using MS's own p2p network to infect every win 10 PC that hasn't been tweaked to turn it off / or have it blocked by firewall.

Upgraded fine had issues with 1 program that wanted to have run as administrator privilege (quickbooks). And I run a local account / no password.

geek_black-heart, Aug 11, 8:13 pm

This build that has been pushed to RTM status is still in my mind, (and in many other testers) a beta. This rollout is a large scale beta. Its "good enough" for many but not really good enough for all . yet, however MS, or the marketing boys at least, have decided that point is now.
Bold you might say, or foolhardy.

geek_ronaldo8, Aug 12, 2:57 am

i have had the same copy since the rtm/oem had come out since july15. ps I'm not running the beta mine is full oem retail one I don't update it no nothing. ive taken all the spyware out yes ms planted spyware in it. that's all gone now I can pick what I want from update list and get them and not the others. I spose I was one of those lucky ones the got the full rtm on july 15. i can see why some users are having problems with it. i did a test on one system i stuck. incredi crap then winamp and some other nasty just and have a clue on what it did? give in i got a blue screen from incredy app then i rebooted and buger my day winamp shat its self and so did incredimail so you cant blame windows blame what you stick in it. also regarding the password login that only if you link it to your ms account like Hotmail and then decide to not use it your pass will be blank i just hit enter as i didn't set a pin for lock screen

geek_frogycrzy, Aug 12, 3:57 am

Mine was working fine until I realised that I no longer have admin access to my C drive so I can't save anything to it

geek_hayster94, Aug 12, 7:16 am

Sure you can. That is where your desktop is stored. That is where your 'user' files are stored (by default).

geek_r.g.nixon, Aug 12, 7:38 am

I'm not going to bother for quite some time. I must be one of the few people that don't mind Windows 8.1.

geek_puddleduck00, Aug 12, 10:45 am

I updated server, personal gaming PC, media PC, daughters laptop and wifes laptop. All updated happily with no issues or problems.
Only thing I did differently was download to USB using the windows disk tool and ran the upgrades from there.
No driver issues with a very eclectic mix of hardware.

Love the paranoia with spying BTW! LMAO! Reminds me of the Facebook app fiasco where everyone at facebook sits around listening to you and watching you through the camera on your phone.

geek__drdee_, Aug 12, 8:51 pm

And windows 7 is still running sweet on my 5 year old laptop.
I wont be upgrading until the last free day, because not long after that they will no doubt strip all support for win 7; so I'll have suck the kumara then :-(

geek_comadi, Aug 12, 9:02 pm

Win 7 will be supported to 2025.

geek_r.g.nixon, Aug 12, 9:22 pm

Thats great, because im sticking with win7 for some time.
The start menu is still crap on windows 10 also.
Classic shell FTW.

Anyway, ill be moving onto linux very soon, im typing this message right now on my debian laptop.

geek_nzoomed, Aug 12, 9:31 pm

No probs here, updated our two pcs over weekend all running fine

geek_michellew2k, Aug 12, 9:32 pm

That's why I'm going to wait, see many have probs with it and i a happy enough at moment with what I have.

geek_missrat, Aug 12, 11:23 pm

Have upgraded five machines. All have gone smoothly, no hiccups worth worrying about. Disabled password login. I personally like the new os. I guess there maybe some teething problems with some programs, but you ought to expect it for a new rollout of an os.

geek_tjl2008, Aug 13, 12:10 am

Windows 10 update went perfectly for me. Loving it so far. After the download, it only took 15 mins to install. Albeit i have solidstate.

geek_tonyt_nz, Aug 13, 6:46 am

Computer illiterate here and paid The Laptop Company Christchurch to install Windows 10 on my new notebook. No problems and runs like a Rolls Royce compared to Windows Vista basic on my old notebook.
At the moment am wondering how to download Canon Utilities as a photo application onto Windows 10, as don't have a CD drive on this new notebook. Just a hiccup and ignorance on my part! :)))

geek_iwikiwi, Aug 13, 7:51 am

^ Try the Canon website - I would think you could download their printer utilities and software from there.

geek_neoslowmo, Aug 13, 8:26 am

Thanks! Will do!

geek_iwikiwi, Aug 13, 9:05 am

It took about an hour and a half to arrive on my desktop. I have been waiting for about two hours for it to download on my laptop. Gave up.

geek_footplate1, Aug 13, 9:15 am

Need a nerd were very quick to email and offer their services in anticipation. Not only did I get the complusory password linked to an old registration with windows that another family member used with our family email ( solved) but it has also created an uncontactable IMAGINARY ADMINISTRATOR, who's permission I need to carry out simple functions like moving photo files between folders. (not yet solved) GRRRR

geek_mcarky, Aug 13, 10:07 am

You can, but you have to login once to set the user to have no password. I did it on my sons laptop.

geek_wendy2, Aug 13, 10:23 am

I appear to have lost my email Windows Live Mail 2011. Tried to ring Microsoft but system hangs up on me all 5 attempts. Using Yahoo to open new emails but would like to recover contacts and old saved emails.

geek_anamcara, Aug 13, 2:51 pm

Yes well the solution to that is to go into windows update and make sure you are up to date with those. Chose check for windows updates again and you will get the invitation to windows 10. Then off you go again. I would also check that you have enough disc space, clean up your registry, empty your trash beforehand.

geek_jhan, Aug 13, 2:56 pm

geek_king1, Aug 13, 3:45 pm

I have had the Windows 10 "working on it" window cranking away for over four hours, on my laptop. My desktop took 1.5 hours for the download to arrive.

Is four hours currently usual?

Thanks

geek_footplate1, Aug 13, 4:11 pm

after initial problem with failed download of Windows 10 its up and running with no issues (I can see. )

geek_ctnz, Aug 13, 4:23 pm

See #38 and try that. It worked for DH's computer.

geek_jhan, Aug 13, 4:38 pm

mine took all of that worth waiting for

geek_boop2, Aug 13, 6:04 pm

Linux/Ubuntu is pretty easy to use. Ubuntu typically just works without having to muck around with anything. I'd recommend Ubuntu MATE. I am actually using Debian MATE, but it is slightly more tricky to use. Ubuntu MATE is probably best for a new user. You can use the Ubuntu Unity if you like but I don't like that kind of desktop environment.

It's pretty good because I am running an old Pentium 4 and it runs fast as anything.

geek_tygertung, Aug 13, 6:37 pm

Yep. Its safer, easier to use, doesn't leak personal information as rabidly as Win10, and the leaks it does have are plugged in two clicks, and it pretty much just installs and runs.

I help a local pensioner group with I.T.

Ive installed ubuntu as a dual boot option for many of them. None of them will go back to WIN.

geek_cammey, Aug 13, 7:06 pm

TNT would work better in my PC than Win 10

geek_mcarky, Aug 13, 8:02 pm

I dont really like unoty or gnome much either.
I run debian with KDE

geek_nzoomed, Aug 13, 10:09 pm

Nope. You can download the Win10 ISO from here. Burn that to a DVD, then do a clean install using your win7 or 8 key.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

OK, a lot of people's eyes will have glazed over at "downlaod the ISO", but that's how you can do a clean install first.

I suspect that a lot of the issues are incompatible software / malware or just generally "sick" installs of Windows. If a system is a bit flaky already, running an upgrade will leave you with a flaky (possibly dead?) Win10.

Any of us that work with other folks PCs, you know the sort of spyware / trojans / flaky rubbish that most of them have.

I downloaded the ISO today, and tomorrows mission is to do a clean install on an old box, using it's Win7 pro key, and see what happens. Then I have a live and clean Win10 to play with, so when I do have to sort out a broken one, at least I've seen it before.

*message typed on my old Kubuntu "daily driver" PC* ;-)

geek_ianab, Aug 13, 10:52 pm

This did it! Many thanks for the advice.

geek_footplate1, Aug 14, 1:48 pm

THANKS for this. I had started a new thread about Windows 10 no download progress for two days now.

geek_olack, Feb 20, 9:25 pm

Share this thread