Can i hide my internet password on my laptop

my children have gone into my laptop and taken my wifi password to use their mobiles with.
the laptop is available for our family to use for homework but its the fact that no matter how many times i change the password they can get it off the laptop thru The wireless network connection. I really need the password not to be able to show characters, its a compaq cq56

geek_mr-and-mrs, Jul 2, 5:29 pm

Well, just guessing that this will work. Protect your laptop account with a password. Then create a limited 'user' account for them to use - with less privileges. Perhaps that will not let them see the wifi password?

geek_r.g.nixon, Jul 2, 5:32 pm

what is wrong with impounding the mobiles for breaching the rules?

geek_amphipod, Jul 2, 6:12 pm

Also change the modem default pw.

geek_rz_zone, Jul 2, 6:33 pm

yeah it sounds like they are logging into your router via the laptop and getting the PW from the routers web interface, change the routers PW as poster above has said

geek_csador, Jul 2, 7:19 pm

i changed the router password but they keep getting it by going into the network connections on the laptop. its really annoying. i have taken the devices tonight but i seriously need to hide the password like encrypt it

geek_mr-and-mrs, Jul 2, 8:14 pm

geek_king1, Jul 2, 8:47 pm

Ha! I just fluked that.

geek_r.g.nixon, Jul 2, 8:52 pm

The other option is to log in to your router, and block the MAC addresses for their mobiles. That should stump them for a bit!

Every device that connects to a network has has a kind of individual serial number called a "media access control address" or MAC for short.

If you log in to you router you should be able to see a list of everything that connects to your router, and block the MAC that corresponds to your kids phones.

You will need to google MAC blocking for your particular router for instructions on how to do it.

geek_cafc2012, Jun 25, 10:13 pm

Share this thread