Downloading DVD on to computer

I would appreciate help on this please. I have a good movie on DVD but no player is it alright to download it on to my computer then put on stick to watch on my Tv. I have tried and tried without success. Is it legal to do this I am ignorant of these things. Thankyou.

geek_boop2, Apr 12, 4:49 pm

It is alright,as you won't be prosecuted. It isn't legal (yet) though. Format shifting is only legal for audio, not video, in NZ.

geek_r.g.nixon, Apr 12, 5:01 pm

Thankyou are you able to tell me how to do it please?

geek_boop2, Apr 12, 7:12 pm

It will depend on what formats/codecs your computer can recognise. Check the TV specs/manual. Or just get some videos from the internet to test.

geek_r.g.nixon, Apr 12, 7:16 pm

Download 'Handbreak'.

then google 'Convert DVD to MP4 Handbreak' and scroll through until you find a nice clear guide that you understand.

YouTube has plenty of tutorials too.

geek_serpico_nz, Apr 12, 7:19 pm

'Handbrake' is the correct spelling.

geek_r.g.nixon, Apr 12, 11:02 pm

tried yesterday with no luck will try again today .Thankyou

geek_boop2, Apr 13, 8:41 am

If your DVD is a commercial title it may be copy protected.

geek_remmers, Apr 13, 9:12 am

This was very good at copying to hard drive, not used it for a few years though.

geek_wayne416, Apr 13, 9:48 am

dvd decrypter and dvd shrink ;)

geek_velenski, Apr 13, 10:09 am

It is so good to get all this help really appreciate it

geek_boop2, Apr 13, 10:42 am

Don't overlook that the USB stick must be formatted as FAT32 rather than NTFS to work with a TV. You must format large USB sticks with FAT32FORMAT or another 3rd-party format utility rather than Windows. FAT32 will restrict the maximum size of each file to 4GB-1, so if it's a long DVD, dual-layer or Blu-ray then you'll need to apply some compression or break the content into sections.

What exactly are you not having luck with?

geek_gyrogearloose, Apr 13, 7:05 pm

What I use.

geek_neoslowmo, Apr 13, 10:15 pm

I done it with this one it worked just as you said. Thanks

geek_boop2, Apr 15, 9:24 am

That's good. its a very simple tool, gets the job done with little fuss. You can also burn the files using CDburnerXP, shrinking with DVD Shrink first if needed to create another DVD.

geek_wayne416, Feb 19, 2:58 am

Share this thread