Downloading DVD on to computer

boop2, Apr 12, 4:49am
I would appreciate help on this please. I have a good movie on DVD but no player is it alright to download it on to my computer then put on stick to watch on my Tv. I have tried and tried without success. Is it legal to do this I am ignorant of these things. Thankyou.

r.g.nixon, Apr 12, 5:01am
It is alright,as you won't be prosecuted. It isn't legal (yet) though. Format shifting is only legal for audio, not video, in NZ.

boop2, Apr 12, 7:12am
Thankyou are you able to tell me how to do it please?

r.g.nixon, Apr 12, 7:16am
It will depend on what formats/codecs your computer can recognise. Check the TV specs/manual. Or just get some videos from the internet to test.

serpico_nz, Apr 12, 7:19am
Download 'Handbreak'.

then google 'Convert DVD to MP4 Handbreak' and scroll through until you find a nice clear guide that you understand.

YouTube has plenty of tutorials too.

r.g.nixon, Apr 12, 11:02am
'Handbrake' is the correct spelling.

boop2, Apr 12, 8:41pm
tried yesterday with no luck will try again today .Thankyou

remmers, Apr 12, 9:12pm
If your DVD is a commercial title it may be copy protected.

wayne416, Apr 12, 9:48pm
This was very good at copying to hard drive, not used it for a few years though. http://www.dvdsmith.com/dvdsmith-movie-backup.html

velenski, Apr 12, 10:09pm
dvd decrypter and dvd shrink ;)

boop2, Apr 12, 10:42pm
It is so good to get all this help really appreciate it

gyrogearloose, Apr 13, 7:05am
Don't overlook that the USB stick must be formatted as FAT32 rather than NTFS to work with a TV. You must format large USB sticks with FAT32FORMAT or another 3rd-party format utility rather than Windows. FAT32 will restrict the maximum size of each file to 4GB-1, so if it's a long DVD, dual-layer or Blu-ray then you'll need to apply some compression or break the content into sections.

What exactly are you not having luck with?

neoslowmo, Apr 13, 10:15am
This
What I use.

boop2, Apr 14, 9:24pm
I done it with this one it worked just as you said. Thanks

wayne416, Feb 18, 1:58pm
That's good. its a very simple tool, gets the job done with little fuss. You can also burn the files using CDburnerXP, shrinking with DVD Shrink first if needed to create another DVD.

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)