Win 10 activation key

Random question for those that have done this - when installing Windows 10 using the genuine ISO, do you need to enter an activation key or can you install it as a trial like with Windows 7?

TIA

geek_suicidemonkey, Aug 4, 9:07 pm

IIRC you need to enter a key.

You should be able to find a generic key that will allow it to install but not activate though

geek_vtecintegra, Aug 4, 9:09 pm

Thought that might be the case. Cheers.

geek_suicidemonkey, Aug 4, 9:10 pm

Just tried it - you can skip entering a key and it installs in "trial mode" as Windows 7 did.

geek_suicidemonkey, Aug 4, 9:19 pm

I threw the Pro ISO over a Win7 Pro copy that had issues with network config so I couldn't just easily upgrade it via Updates, hence the ISO. It didn't like and won't accept the Win7 key probably because it originally came from a different motherboard at install (which doesn't bother me as I don't want to run it, just mess around in the innards a bit) and is happily doing almost everything unactivated. So far, the only thing it doesn't let me do is personalise the desktop. I can access everything I've wanted to so far (services, grpedit, regedit, msconfig etc) and runs quite well on an old HP box with 2gig RAM and 2.8GHz processor.

I can't remember but I don't think it asked me for the key until after install was completed and booted the first time. I'm picking I probably have a month to play before in locks and then I'll reinstall it if I still want to potter about.

I just want to try FSX on it so the lad knows what's what when the time comes to upgrade his setup. If it won't run that nicely, it won't happen.

geek_morticia, Aug 4, 9:19 pm

That's different to what I experienced. Got to the screen to enter the key and the Next button greyed was out until a valid key was entered.

geek_d.snell, Aug 4, 10:52 pm

I thought that at first but there was a small "skip" button down the bottom of the window.

geek_suicidemonkey, Mar 26, 4:01 pm

Share this thread