New TV which one?. Sony or Samsung

So have to buy a new TV which one out of these 2 only. Yes i know one is a 60" and the other is a 48". Am replacing a 50" so i dont think we would miss 2"

http://www.smithscity.co.nz/tv-and-audio/brands/samsung/8715914/Samsung-48-Full-HD-LED-TV-UA48H6800ASX.html http://www.sony.co.nz/product/KDL-60W600B/sku/kdl-60w600b+az1

Thanks

geek_ashdyson, May 11, 10:25 am

i wouldnt go under a 50 inch, ours is a 55 and it feels too small. However ours is a sony and i would much rather have the samsung any day.

geek_nzoomed, May 11, 10:36 am

I wouldn't go for a curved screen - it's more of a gimmick than anything else

Is this an insurance replacement? Both of those are way overpriced if you're actually paying.

geek_vtecintegra, May 11, 10:47 am

No not insurance. Most likey buying from harvey norman. those are just an example

geek_ashdyson, May 11, 11:30 am

How did you come up with those two models then?

geek_vtecintegra, May 11, 11:39 am

Like the look of them. What would you recommend? Don't want a Panasonic that is what is being replaced after 4 years it's not turning on

geek_ashdyson, May 11, 11:42 am

sony. i would always go with a sammy, but of the 2 you listed the sonys feature set wins hands down

geek_kwm30, May 11, 11:53 am

panasonic

geek_velenski, May 11, 12:25 pm

If those are the only 2 choices then Samsung.

geek_tmenz, May 11, 12:29 pm

Neither. Cga on your current tv

geek_trade_menow, May 11, 12:36 pm

Love our Sony bravia 60 inch.Was $1700 2 months ago. Use pricespy to keep an eye on prices and you will know if you are paying too much -surprising how much prices rock and roll from one week to the next. Wasn't really too worried about getting a "smart" tv, but we do actually use several of those features - being able to "cast" YouTube from laptop to TV wirelessly, for example, is wicked. And of course a smart tv regularly updates its firmware !

geek_wardz4, May 11, 9:51 pm

The Sony W600B really.

Objective proof: http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/kdl40w605b-201404233740.htm

"The Sony KDL40W605 is a fantastic HDTV with superb out-of-the-box accuracy. If you want a display capable of producing images that??ôs very close to what??ôs seen by the film director and post-production team without needing any detailed adjustment of the picture settings (much less calling in a professional calibrator), then this is it. Owners do not need to do anything extra beyond engaging [Cinema] mode."

For your regular 'Mum and Dad' needs, colour accuracy is by far one of the most noticeable things.

In terms of your 'everyday users' needs, it has everything. Low input lag for gaming, 4 x HDMI, USB ports, SMART TV features, colour accuracy without significant tweaking.

<--- I know my TVs.

geek_dudekrulz, May 12, 12:04 am

Fix the panasonic. I bet it is a few cooked capacitors worth about $6.00.

geek_kaituna, May 12, 12:52 am

LG is also worth considering, very nice panels and very good reliability.

geek__drdee_, May 12, 8:09 am

Why waste money? A TV should last much longer than four years. The CGA is great legislation. Use it to get the TV repaired or replaced

geek_nice_lady, May 12, 9:56 am

Yup!

( unless you bought it from Smiths Dick of course )

geek_tintop, May 12, 11:11 am

If buying new, I would only buy a Sony with Triluminos display. You'll have to see one in person to appreciate the clarity.

Go to the Sony store at 129 Riccarton Road, ask to see the models with Triluminos display then note down the model of the one that impresses you the most. Search pricespy for that model and compare the lowest price that is in stock with any of the Samsungs you are interested in.

geek_lostdude, May 12, 12:24 pm

Sony has excellent motion control for watching football. This feature was even on our 8 yr old set, and I do want a smart TV one but my old set just keeps on going.

geek_bryshaw, May 12, 7:00 pm

I have 3 Sonys, 40", 42" & 55". They have been great TV's, having 3 similar remotes is convenient. my newest one, about 2 years old, does not have a user-friendly web browser or lightbox app.

If I was buying a new smart TV now, choosing between Sony and Samsung, I would be influenced by the "smart" features and the installed apps. I have watched several big Samsungs in friends homes, who are more than pleased with their Samsungs.

The "motion-flow" referred to by poster #18 is dramatically better on the newest one (200Hz Refresh rate?) Most noticeable when following the flight of a golf ball.

geek_bwg11, May 12, 8:35 pm

i have a Sony bravia 50in and a Samsung in my room. the samsung has a better picture,

geek_aktow, May 13, 4:45 am

Samsung all the way.

geek_namtak, May 13, 5:28 pm

Here's a different perspective.
Most, if not all, HD Broadcast quality cameras are manufactured by - guess.
That's right, Sony.
When I spot an LG, Samsung or even a Veon camera on the sideline of a rugby game I might consider changing brands.
(Yes, I know everybody and their dog make 1080p cameras - but they are all a bit s**t compared to a "Real" Camera.)

geek_crtnz, May 13, 10:11 pm

It's stupid to blanket judge brands.

Also a brighter, more colourful picture is NOT a better picture.
It's colour accuracy that's matters i.e. picture detail.

geek_dudekrulz, May 13, 11:24 pm

LG. Their new models with WebOS are just brilliant. It's srsly awesome software. They make great panels too.

geek_suicidemonkey, May 13, 11:59 pm

According to consumer, sony are slightly more reliable than samsung. But it comes down to the best picture, and what looks best. I like sonys more.

geek_mattnzw, May 14, 12:09 am

+1

geek_nzmu, May 14, 6:31 am

2k for a 48 inch? jesus did they see you coming or what lol.

out of the two i would pick the sony, myself i wouldnt get ether.

i got a 55inch plasma for 830 full hd brand new like a year ago. (bonus is it heats my house up so i got rid of my oil heater LOL)

geek_taion, May 14, 8:10 am

And for what practical point is a "triluminos" wide gamut backlight display when HDTV and basically all media uses REC709?
IMO wide gamut is a waste of time - unless you're looking at a REC2020 compliant UHDTV.
Beware viewing TVs in store. The one which looks best may not be the best TV, but merely the one with the highest margin for the retailer.

geek_mm12345, May 14, 11:01 am

The non handheld cameras are actually Canon.

geek_spyware, May 14, 11:32 am

Just stay well away from Veon (Whorehouse) flat screens. Their sound is akin to a drunken prostitutes handkerchief - ie useless.

geek_moltenfire, May 14, 7:29 pm

The Sky Outside Broadcast cameras are Sony. The lenses are mostly Fujinon.
The defunct TVNZ (now NZ Live) OB cameras are Thomson/Grass Valley (originally Philips) and some Hitachi, mostly with Canon lenses.
The TVNZ studio cameras are Thomson/Grass Valley with Fujinon lenses and the TVNZ NEWS cameras are mostly Sony with Fujinon lenses.

geek_tmenz, May 14, 8:17 pm

LOL, if you done your research properly, you would've seen that Triluminos is available ONLY on their UHD range. So you pretty much answered your own question.

We're in the transition phase, UHD (and with it, REC2020) is going to be the new standard so I'd rather invest in a TV (that should last 10yrs) with the BEST technology available now, and complies with future standards, than one with the BEST technology but compliant with a soon-to-be obsolete standard.

geek_lostdude, May 14, 11:07 pm

Not true
https://www.heathcotes.co.nz/products/kdl55w950b-sony-55-inch-3d-hd-led-tv

There are no plans for UHD FTA TV in NZ - ever. All the local video stores near where I live have closed down. That basically leaves streaming (though the state of the local network since Neon/Netflix/Lightbox have launched doesn't give me any faith that UHD streaming is going to be viable in NZ any time soon).
Wide gamut computer displays were "the thing" a few years ago (achievable with CCFL backlight), but for consumer devices at the high-ish end (iMac retina, macbooks/ipads, MS surface) where colour accuracy is often sold as a "feature", those devices are strictly sRGB (= approx REC709), as the WWW is effectively an sRGB world.

geek_mm12345, May 15, 9:12 am

Canon, Panasonic and JVC all make HD broadcast quality cameras. I know because I've shot with most of them.

However it is true that Sony have more in their line up geared towards broadcast.

geek_suicidemonkey, May 15, 10:49 am

UHD Bluray is around the corner and retail video stores have moved online with the likes of fatso and arovideo. If you have little faith in UHD streaming then move to a city that doesn't move beneath you. 4K Youtube is fine on VDSL here in Auckland and it will only get better as HEVC becomes the norm for video compression and fibre for broadband. UHD gaming is also around the corner with Steam Boxes so plenty of content other than television will meet or exceed the REC2020 specification, most of which will be available this year.

geek_lostdude, May 15, 3:05 pm

The content I've seen on youtube - only some is technically interesting at best, but it's mainly assorted drek posted by techno-nerds lacking any creative talent. It's hard enough finding decent SD content.
I have zero interest in gaming - and even less interest in ever moving back to Auckland.
Sure - I'd love UHD bluray to succeed, but I think it will flop. Even though I do care - I'm too lazy and impatient to bother ordering rental bluray on-line. Most people don't really care a rat's @rse about quality. I've watched blocky streaming HD with posterised skies etc - and had people sitting alongside comment about how great it all looks.

geek_mm12345, May 15, 7:25 pm

LOL, to each their own I guess, but I prefer to look at emerging technologies with optimism. Good luck with that glass half empty outlook you have going there.

geek_lostdude, May 15, 11:29 pm

Heathcoates have an LG 40" UHD LED TV on special atm for $777. I picked one up today - been looking for something affordable for a while now.

It's a really nice looking panel. Good colour/contrast and viewing angles.

It's not one of the WebOS models but even so the Smart TV features are all there - and all I use is the Netflix app, Chromecast for everything else.

And it has an HD upscaler which actually does a pretty good job - SD and HD content doesn't look blurry.

And of course, 4K content looks freakin stunning. And yeah yeah 4K isn't there yet but it will be. Especially with Netflix offering 4K streaming.

geek_suicidemonkey, Nov 21, 10:54 pm

Share this thread