Win7 to win10 upgrade

What happens if after the win 10 update and you wish to reinstall win 7 from back up cds. How do you get back to win 10. Will we be able to put the upgrade part onto a disc or USB stick

geek_dbolton, Jun 10, 11:25 am

I presume they will provide you with a product key for win 10 when signing up for it.

geek_king1, Jun 10, 11:34 am

win10 will a 3gb download according to microsofts website

i'm assuming it'll be an iso file, which you can burn to disk like any other OS setup files, which you should then be able to install how you like

i could be wrong, but i dont think so, otherwise theyd upgrade us all for free by stealth (ie by windows update silently) without giving us the offer of a free download

geek_pcmaster, Jun 10, 11:38 am

You'd be stupid to get the free upgrade they're giving out, good luck to those who get it and have to deal with all the bugs and issues. Stick with windows 7 or windows 8.1 until windows 10 has had at least it's first service pack update released.

geek_subs1, Jun 10, 11:45 am

How long is the update available for? Is it worth getting or not?

geek_springgrove, Jun 10, 2:27 pm

Free for 1 year following 29 July 2015. Yes, but don't grab it immediately - wait at least a month to see if any problems could affect you.

geek_r.g.nixon, Jun 10, 2:52 pm

I am waiting for at least 6-8 months first

geek_newbie5, Jun 10, 3:56 pm

Hubby's had various versions of the win 10 beta's on his laptop for a while now. Apparently the initial install was an "over the top" install which left his system intact with the existing programs and settings still there. It did kill a few programs however, mostly his tech stuff lol. He seems to think it's quite OK other than that issue, which he's since overcome, though. Everything seems to be working OK and apparently they've improved some things as time has gone on.

geek_nice_lady, Jun 10, 4:24 pm

So reserve it but don't install it straight away, or if I decline the reserve can I get it at a later stage?

geek_springgrove, Jun 10, 9:02 pm

It really doesn't matter - all the reservation does is let you know when the download is ready

geek_vtecintegra, Jun 10, 9:05 pm

Oh, I though it slowly downloaded in the background before then. To ease the strain on their servers or something.

geek_r.g.nixon, Jun 10, 9:17 pm

Yeah, either way you're still going to end up downloadng ~3GB

geek_vtecintegra, Jun 10, 9:21 pm

I have the W10 trial on a dual boot with my 8.1.
I'll install the new version one HDD while still keeping my current W8.1 intact

geek_fishb8, Jun 11, 7:22 am

how to delete the white box after it has been reserved? on win 7 and having trouble starting up since I reserved it.thanks

geek_pearlypearl, Jun 11, 6:05 pm

Unpin it from the taskbar?

geek_pd18, Jun 12, 9:55 pm

Simple rule: Always wait for the Mark II or Mark III.* It will be better and maybe cheaper.

* Unless you have more money than brains.

geek_dbb, Aug 22, 4:08 pm

Share this thread