Yes or no for a year 8 student

spawnofsatan1, Apr 19, 12:50am

vtecintegra, Apr 19, 12:59am
Should be fine however they can be had a fair bit cheaper: http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=NBKHNB2770655&qr=pspy&ref=pricespy

suicidemonkey, Apr 19, 2:30am
Keep in mind that those laptops are only powerful enough for the basics. Pretty much no gaming (except for the basics) or anything CPU intensive like video editing.

mr_lovebug, Apr 19, 2:49am
That's a great way to touchier a person, 2 gig's of ram and windows 8 is NOT enough at all.

Better off with google chrome O/S with the same spec laptop.

You will be very unhappy with windows 8 and only 2 gig ram.

suicidemonkey, Apr 19, 2:51am
I haven't used Win8 so can't speak from experience, but the system requirements is 1GB RAM (for 32bit OS) and 2GB RAM (for 64bit).

In saying that, sticking to the minimum is never ideal.

mr_lovebug, Apr 19, 4:12am
I have used windows 8 enough to know that it has problems opening anything if it only on 4 gigs ram (it lags and freezers all the time).

I mean windows 7 on 1 gig ram is faster than 8 with 2 gig ram.

Personally, all the pc's i use with windows 8 have at least 8 gigs ram to match the windows 7 with 4 gig ram for response times.
The more ram you have the better windows runs, basic rule of life.

suicidemonkey, Apr 19, 4:22am
Fair enough. I have 32GB of RAM so I guess I don't really think about it :P

wayne416, Apr 19, 5:08am
No problem here, 6 year old laptop ex Vista 32bit, 2.1Ghz, 2gig ram running 8.1. 8.1 is lighter than Win 7.

vtecintegra, Apr 19, 5:56am
Windows 8 is fine on 2GB - obviously not as fast as it would be on a more powerful system but in this price range you options are limited

audi_s_ate, Apr 19, 8:41pm
Disagree. 2gb runs windows 8 fine, 4gb yes is ideal but there is no issues on 2gb you mention. In fact it is faster than win 7 in most senario's, especially if the 7 machine has only 1gb.

Just based on my experience with 120+machines (5-8 years/old) with Win 8.1 installed (upgrade from win 7).

dinx, Jan 27, 1:56am
I'd be just as worried about only 32gb storage, windows has never been good with minimum specs and unlike Chromebooks was never designed to hold majority of storage cloud based.

I'd personally consider Chromebook for a year 8 but DD uses one and we know how well it works for her. 10 sec cold boot from shutdown is very handy in a class environment.

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)