Is it illegal to watchmovies on putlocker or not ?

im unsure of the legalities of watching movies online, not down loading ,just streaming. can any body help thanks

geek_leelee79, May 4, 5:46 pm

of course its illegal. Jaywalking is illegal too but we all do that.

geek_ryanm2, May 4, 5:49 pm

Jaywalking is not an offense in NZ.

geek_r.g.nixon, May 4, 5:51 pm

ok thanks, did not know it was illegal

geek_leelee79, May 4, 6:01 pm

I bet you $10 to a stolen Gideons that it is illegal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaywalking#New_Zealand

geek_tintop, May 4, 6:35 pm

Yes, Illegal but utterly unenforceable.

geek_farside03, May 4, 7:07 pm

In Europe it is legal to stream movies, as long as you are not making a copy of it. With a quick google it appears to be the same in NZ.

So no, it is not illegal.

http://3strikes.net.nz/information/faqs

geek_schizoid, May 4, 11:51 pm

If you're not making a 'copy' ie streaming and not saving a file to disk, then I don't see how this would be classified as illegal under NZ law.

From my understanding, what would be illegal is being the one responsible for serving the streamed media.

geek_kieran211, May 5, 12:10 am

To watch a streamed movie you must download it as it play.

geek_doggitt, May 5, 1:11 am

try Netflix that's if you want to see rubbish crap stuff

geek_frogycrzy, May 5, 2:13 am

If you are watching something you don't have the legal right to watch, you breacking a civil law or contract, including, quite possibly the terms and conditions of your internet provider. You may also be breaching copyritght law, as streaming is deemed to be making a copy for copyright purpose (this is being tested in the courts right now) and finally if you are 'importing' someting that is deemed 'objectionalable' you are committing a criminal offence. So it kind of depends. Illegal is at the high end of the scalem with a lot of lesser naughtiness in between,

geek_cafc2012, May 6, 6:08 pm

so , 12 posts later, no one actually knows.

geek_ryanm2, May 7, 9:00 pm

Streaming is downloading, just temporarily.

And are you asking if watching movies for free is illegal? Of course it is. Unless the copyright/rights holder allows you to.

Will you get caught? Probably not.

Are you putting people in the media industry like myself out of business? Remains to be seen.

geek_suicidemonkey, May 7, 9:08 pm

That FAQ is related specifically to the 3 Strikes law. It does not cover existing laws, in which streaming movies is illegal outside of legit services like Netflix.

geek_suicidemonkey, May 7, 9:10 pm

That doesn't make it legal. The law doesn't say "if it doesn't save permanently to your hard drive, it's fine to watch movies for free".

Streaming is still downloading. People seem to think the definition of downloading is "saving to my computer". But in actual fact, ANY content you view on the web is downloaded to your computer, even if just cached temporarily.

geek_suicidemonkey, May 8, 1:28 am

Nobody has ever been charged, let alone convicted for copyright infringement in NZ for watching streams.
If you are wanting a legal opinion, thats reliable ask a lawyer (HAH!) technicians are terrible at law.

geek_black-heart, May 8, 8:22 am

tell me something that is not illegal in this country apart from giving every cent to the government .
Now technically its only illegal to upload pirated stuff that is what it was based on when i last looked and if you dont use windows and use private browsing and adblock plus you can navigate them free sites whom stream movies no problem

geek_intrade, May 8, 8:27 am

Incorrect.

geek_suicidemonkey, May 8, 4:01 pm

Is it illegal to watchmovies on putlocker or not ?

No it is not technically illegal unless the content is illegal i.e Pedophilia, Bestiality, snuff films or not classified by Nz censorship office. The site is not dmca or complaint with United States copyright law. But you won't be put in jail or fined for viewing it.

geek_mr-word, May 8, 10:00 pm

No you won't be fined for watching it but it doesn't mean it's not illegal to do it. It doesn't matter what the site is compliment with - it's the content you're watching.

If I make a video and a website publishes it for viewing without my permission, that's a breach of copyright.

geek_suicidemonkey, May 8, 10:54 pm

Not saving is irrelevant.

geek_doggitt, May 9, 10:32 am

So it is technically illegal but you most likely won't get into trouble. I think that is what you are trying to say.

geek_doggitt, May 9, 10:34 am

Pretty much

geek_suicidemonkey, May 9, 10:58 am

I've watched free movies all my life (well before the internet was available to me) without ever requesting copyright holders permission. Gosh what an evil child I was video taping movies on TV and watching them over and over, and lending them to friends.

geek_black-heart, May 9, 9:19 pm

I use to record music off the radio onto audio cassette and record tv series off tv onto vhs and download mp3s off Napster.

Free to air television has ruined movies by putting so much advertising into them tvnz can only milk it for so long. While I have bought movies on dvd I prefer downloading.

geek_mr-word, May 10, 4:58 pm

This would also be illegal.

I work in the media industry, specifically creating video. Forgive me if I'm overly passionate about people paying for movies.

geek_suicidemonkey, May 10, 5:33 pm

if you dont plan on selling your downloaded copies of content, - regardless of the source of the original, whats the harm in it

geek_pcmaster, May 10, 6:16 pm

This thread has been seized by the FBI.

geek_gibler, May 10, 6:39 pm

Somebody has created something and has offered it for sale. By you taking it and not paying for it, you have stolen it. How hard is that?

geek_wembley1, May 10, 7:19 pm

The NZ copyright laws allow "time shifting" which means in theory you can watch something later but not keep it. Honoured in the breach I'm sure I could probably dig up an old VHS "Bob the Builder" compendium from the bottom drawer if I looked.

geek_wembley1, May 10, 7:24 pm

You're getting something for free which you would have otherwise had to pay for.

Movies take thousands of people and millions of dollars to create. The least we can do is pay for their efforts. You can rent movies on iTunes for $4-6. It's not lot of money to do it legally.

geek_suicidemonkey, May 10, 8:23 pm

Some people are just too cheap to pay for it and don't realise just how much effort and expense making a film is.

geek_doggitt, May 11, 10:21 am

No different than recording it off the TV and watching later, most profit is made at the box office anyway.
I like it how people say its stealing, its not looked at that way in the court, its classed as breach of copyright.

In saying that, i cant be stuffed with crappy torrents with poor video quality, its not worth it, life is too short to watch poor quality movies, i dont get why my friends put up with watching such crappy low res videos, and some are even recorded in a theatre. lol
Just use netflix.

geek_nzoomed, May 11, 10:32 am

geek_doggitt, May 11, 11:00 am

Streaming is not included in the copyright act even though the file is a copy being cached to a temporary location. So only the website and uploader are liable. Let me be clear Streaming is not downloading.

geek_mr-word, May 11, 6:44 pm

Not sure if that's true or not. but even if it is, it's still morally wrong. While the stars of these movies get paid millions, the 10000 other crew members are on normal wages, and it's them that get put out of work first when the industry starts slowing down because of pirating.

If you can't part with $10 a month for Netflix or 4-5$ for iTunes rentals. well. something's wrong.

geek_suicidemonkey, May 11, 6:50 pm

In that case shouldn't you be more outraged at the amounts some of these stars get paid, rather than the average punter sometimes not paying to watch a movie? Is it not "morally wrong" that one person can get paid more than the amount of entire crew combined?

Often it's the case that those who are watching a movie for free would not have paid to watch it in the first place if that option was available anyway. I feel you need to redirect your priorities.

geek_schizoid, May 11, 7:31 pm

I don't think the argument is about price. It is about availability.
Their are some movies that I would have been willing to pay for to watch at the cinema but they weren't available. You have to pay a high price too watch some films because of exclusive rights sales in territory's that why I won't buy lightbox or neon because they are monopolists.

geek_mr-word, May 11, 7:38 pm

Where do you get this information from?

geek_doggitt, May 11, 8:41 pm

Yeah I suppose that if I wasn't going to pay for that Ferrari anyway, it's ok to take it.

And I'm quite happy with where my priorities lie. But you're entitled to your opinion.

geek_suicidemonkey, May 11, 8:44 pm

geek_mr-word, May 11, 9:34 pm

43A Transient reproduction of work

A reproduction of a work does not infringe copyright in the work if the reproduction??

(a) is transient or incidental; and

(b) is an integral and essential part of a technological process for??

(i) making or receiving a communication that does not infringe copyright; or

(ii) enabling the lawful use of, or lawful dealing in, the work; and

(c) has no independent economic significance.

Section 43A: inserted, on 31 October 2008, by section 24 of the Copyright (New Technologies) Amendment Act 2008 (2008 No 27).

geek_mr-word, May 11, 9:35 pm

Internet service provider does not infringe copyright by caching infringing material

(1) An Internet service provider does not infringe copyright in a work by caching material if the Internet service provider??

(a) does not modify the material; and

(b) complies with any conditions imposed by the copyright owner of the material for access to that material; and

(c) does not interfere with the lawful use of technology to obtain data on the use of the material; and

(d) updates the material in accordance with reasonable industry practice.

(2) However, an Internet service provider does infringe copyright in a work by caching material if the Internet service provider does not delete the material or prevent access to it by users as soon as possible after the Internet service provider became aware that??

(a) the material has been deleted from its original source; or

(b) access to the material at its original source has been prevented; or

(c) a court has ordered that the material be deleted from its original source or that access to the material at its original source be prevented.

(3) Nothing in this section limits the right of the copyright owner to injunctive relief in relation to a user??s infringement or any infringement by the Internet service provider.

(4) In this section,??

cache means the storage of material by an Internet service provider that is??

(a) controlled through an automated process; and

(b) temporary; and

(c) for the sole purpose of enabling the Internet service provider to transmit the material more efficiently to other users of the service on their request

original source means the source from which the Internet service provider copied the material that is cached.

Section 92E: inserted, on 31 October 2008, by section 53 of the Copyright (New Technologies) Amendment Act 2008 (2008 No 27).

geek_mr-word, May 11, 9:36 pm

Well that clears that up. I still believe it's immoral to take something for free which you'd otherwise have to pay for. But, each to their own. I'm sure the hard working people that make movies won't be affected.

geek_suicidemonkey, May 11, 10:00 pm

I think what #47 is trying to cover is if you catch a fragment of a song in a TV programme, or see part of a TV programme playing in the background of a film. Like photocopying up to 10% of a work for academic purposes. Not watching the whole thing.

geek_emmerson1, Dec 4, 4:58 am

Share this thread