Windows 8.1 Home Folder - Security Question

This is a bit of a n00b question. I was bumming around with Ubuntu Live bootable USB and noticed I can easily access my Windows 8.1 Home folder and everything in it on my laptop HDD. Which isn't really ideal if someone steals your PC. I knew this was the case, but have never really thought about it.

Is there anything I can do to encrypt or protect these folders with Windows 8.1 or third party software? If so what would you recommend.

geek_puddleduck00, May 2, 12:53 am

Personally, I wouldn't worry. If something is that sensitive, it shouldn't be stored on your laptop anyway. The problem with encrypting files is that when something goes wrong with the encryption system (Note, I said WHEN, not IF) you loose everything on your laptop.
Yes, possibly you could use a weaker form of protection, but all that would do is frustrate you and slow your system down, and not stop someone who genuinely wanted to access your system.
In reality, if a chancer steals your laptop, it will end up being reformatted and sold on. A normal windows Password will give you all the protection you need, because if they can hack that, they can hack most things.

geek_d.snell, May 2, 1:04 am

Also, password protect your BIOS and disable booting from any other source than you HDD, then they can't use anything else.

geek_d.snell, May 2, 1:17 am

Good idea. Thanks, I never thought of that.

geek_puddleduck00, May 2, 2:43 am

Bitlocker (built into windows) will solve that, but as above, this is a real PITA when it fails.

I'll just plug this here: http://www.infowars.com/91497/

Privacy is inevitably going to become an urban legend lol.

geek_lostdude, Dec 25, 10:13 am