Projected average life of external drive?

Hi, My first Western digital 500G external drive lasted 5 years.
I am now at 4 years 3 months on a second WD 500G external drive
Should I replace it soon?
What has been any ones experience with WD external drives?
Thank you
Not that it probably matters desktop is running windows 7 home premium and PC and external drive get turned off over night.

geek_mgc54, Mar 29, 1:03 pm

Depends on a lot of factors.

Anyway no matter the age of the drive you should be taking regular backups anyway.

geek_vtecintegra, Mar 29, 1:08 pm

Replace it when it dies, or gets too small for you. If it doesn't overheat or get bumped, it could last another 10 years.

geek_r.g.nixon, Mar 29, 1:10 pm

TY, I keep data DVD's and Cds offsite as well.

geek_mgc54, Mar 29, 1:12 pm

I personally don't keep drives after 3-4 years.

geek_suicidemonkey, Mar 29, 1:14 pm

Try running Hard drive sentinel and check the health of the hard drive(s) I swear by it, have saved many hard drive data recovery jobs by catching them early on.

Found a main work station that is pushing most work out was down to 54% and they brought a new drive and cloned over (problem gone now).

Nothing to loose.

geek_mr_lovebug, Mar 29, 1:17 pm

TY mr_lovebug. I ran Hard Drive Sentinel and it shows the external drive to have a 100% heath. Have a nice day:)

geek_mgc54, Mar 29, 1:39 pm

Just FYI, that doesn't mean it won't fail. It just means it's less likely. I treat my hard drives like they could fail at any moment.

geek_suicidemonkey, Mar 29, 2:05 pm

Yes, treat all hard drives as they can fail BUT know that you do get some warning's if you are aware of what is happening.

The hard drive of 54% still works fine BUT is now cloned to a new drive and they are watching the 54 stay at the same point, NO bad sectors means it is okay to keep working with, I had a drive kill windows cos 2 bad sectors in the windows boot area and no matter what happened the drive is no good for a boot up drive.

Tools are must have, keep that one on USB stick and run it from the usb when you need to check a drive (good tip for ya).

geek_mr_lovebug, Mar 29, 2:24 pm

Yes you'll usually get warnings of impending failure. weird noises, disk errors, slow read/write speeds. but not always, they can just die suddenly.

geek_suicidemonkey, Apr 13, 3:18 am

Share this thread