Projected average life of external drive?

mgc54, Mar 29, 12:03am
Hi, My first Western digital 500G external drive lasted 5 years.
I am now at 4 years 3 months on a second WD 500G external drive
Should I replace it soon?
What has been any ones experience with WD external drives?
Thank you
Not that it probably matters desktop is running windows 7 home premium and PC and external drive get turned off over night.

vtecintegra, Mar 29, 12:08am
Depends on a lot of factors.

Anyway no matter the age of the drive you should be taking regular backups anyway.

r.g.nixon, Mar 29, 12:10am
Replace it when it dies, or gets too small for you. If it doesn't overheat or get bumped, it could last another 10 years.

mgc54, Mar 29, 12:12am
TY, I keep data DVD's and Cds offsite as well.

suicidemonkey, Mar 29, 12:14am
I personally don't keep drives after 3-4 years.

mr_lovebug, Mar 29, 12:17am
Try running Hard drive sentinel and check the health of the hard drive(s) I swear by it, have saved many hard drive data recovery jobs by catching them early on.

Found a main work station that is pushing most work out was down to 54% and they brought a new drive and cloned over (problem gone now).

Nothing to loose.

mgc54, Mar 29, 12:39am
TY mr_lovebug. I ran Hard Drive Sentinel and it shows the external drive to have a 100% heath. Have a nice day:)

suicidemonkey, Mar 29, 1:05am
Just FYI, that doesn't mean it won't fail. It just means it's less likely. I treat my hard drives like they could fail at any moment.

mr_lovebug, Mar 29, 1:24am
Yes, treat all hard drives as they can fail BUT know that you do get some warning's if you are aware of what is happening.

The hard drive of 54% still works fine BUT is now cloned to a new drive and they are watching the 54 stay at the same point, NO bad sectors means it is okay to keep working with, I had a drive kill windows cos 2 bad sectors in the windows boot area and no matter what happened the drive is no good for a boot up drive.

Tools are must have, keep that one on USB stick and run it from the usb when you need to check a drive (good tip for ya).

suicidemonkey, Apr 12, 3:18pm
Yes you'll usually get warnings of impending failure. weird noises, disk errors, slow read/write speeds. but not always, they can just die suddenly.

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)