Scammers calling me every day. Page 1 / 2

nzoomed, Mar 20, 4:37am
Dont know if its the same group or not, but keep asking me about my CLSID etc windows licence not valid and all their usual BS.
I played along with them yesterday and was one step ahead i was telling them i knew what commands i had to type into the run dialog etc and the surprised Indian guy was like "oh you must be a technician or something" lol anyway in the end i told him he was full of BS and he just would not stop trying to convince me that they were genuine etc, i told them that there is no such windows department that rings their users and in the end i hang up after wasting an hour of his time lol.
Anyway today i get another call from a weird number and sure enough another indian voice. I bluntly said "yes whats wrong with my computer today?" before he got a word in and he was so surprised to know how i knew what he was going to ask, i said to him that "you scammers call me every day" and he just hang up lol but its so funny how some of the operators wont give up even though they know they are facing a brick wall and yet others will hang up straight away.

ceebee2, Mar 20, 4:40am
Just swear at em and tell them to keep talking as you have almost go their IP address. They hang up very quickly!

mechnificent, Mar 20, 7:05am
After an hour. say you have to go out and could they call back.

nztechstore, Mar 20, 7:27am
Invest in a high-pitched whistle. When they call .

namtak, Mar 20, 7:46am
FFS! Just try ordering a curry. They love that.

karen45, Mar 20, 8:01am
I just tell them that I don't have a computer, then they try to convince me that I do.

nzoomed, Mar 20, 7:56pm
lol yes i once told them i had linux, but they did not believe me!

I should really try the trick of asking if they can hold the line and i go away for an hour and come back and say sorry not interested.

melcraig, Mar 20, 8:12pm
Have fun with them. Pretend to be really elderly or something and waste THEIR time. Keep putting them on hold for long periods while you 'check the kettle', etc.

mr-word, Mar 20, 9:03pm
The longer you try to talk to them more often they'll call back.

melcraig, Mar 20, 9:07pm
Not if you waste a huge amount of their time.

The thing to aim for is the caller to put you on to their supervisor.

melcraig, Mar 21, 6:16am
Ha ha - Fantastic!

chnman, Mar 21, 6:25am

melcraig, Mar 21, 6:45am
I'm listening to this now. So funny!

paora-tm, Mar 21, 7:10am
You can watch more Reality TV now.

nzoomed, Mar 21, 9:13am
I would love to pretend i was using windows 95 or 3.11! rotfl

mariner26, Mar 22, 2:11am
Just hang up on them - 40/50/60 whatever minutes of you wasting their time is 40/50/60 minutes of wasting your time!

melcraig, Mar 22, 2:20am
Not if you're having fun!

mica3, Mar 22, 6:34am
Ask them which computer it is so you can turn the right one on that is a good time waster especially if you act like you dontnunderstand technology lol

chnman, Mar 22, 6:46am
When I got a call once, I pretended to go and switch on computer, etc. But I put on a linux live disc, I think it was Linux Mint.

"Click on the start button"
- I don't see a start button I said. The scammer also had me pressing the windows key, etc and what was expected to happen didn't, as I wasn't using Windows.

The scammer was according to him "a certified Microsoft technician". Obviously Microsoft only knows about their own OS, as at one point I was asked to tell him "what do you see on the screen in front of you". I described it as a silver/white/green picture with the words LINUX MINT. No, he couldn't understand what I was on about, and he wanted to get me to keep trying his instructions.

Pretty dumb these scammers are.

socram, Mar 22, 8:49am
Totally agree!

Even if I didn't have the time, I'd still pretend to go and switch on the computer and just ignore them. Just put the phone down and see if they are still there every 5 minutes. If we all wasted their time, maybe they'd give up on NZ and ring Australia instead!

nzoomed, Mar 22, 8:56am
lol, i told them i was running linux and the guy got cranky with me and basically said i was lying! lol
Anyway, i would love to see their reaction if i told them i dont have an internet connection!

hawkeye30, Mar 23, 2:58am
Unusual numbers on our caller id get answered with "Hawkes funeral parlour how can we plant you today" Haven't had a phone call in months :)

ford_transit, Mar 24, 5:20am
Good thinking, preparing my 2 butter chicken with naam request :)

mustu, Mar 24, 8:20am
After answering just put the phone down somewhere and walk away. Eventually the little voices go away!

sr2, Mar 24, 8:59am
Some great ideas on this thread; re: namtak, brilliant I can't wait to order a curry and re: socram and outer, you guys are grand masters!

Just remember these lowlife scammers play a numbers game; average call is less than 20 seconds and the strike rate is one in thousands. Wasting their time for ten minutes or so is not only great sport, it has a huge impact on their hit rate.

I always make a point of finally telling them I'm deliberately wasting their time as it often makes them go ballistic, the more time you waste the more they wind up. I've had gentle sounding Asian ladies turn into foul mouthed monsters and overly polite Punjab's suddenly start screaming that they are coming to kill me and my family, all good fun!

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)