Rural Broadband Initiative (RBI)

Hi there. Has anyone ever used Vodafone's (or any other provider's) rural broadband (RBI - Rural Broadband Initiative)? If so, how reliable is it? What is the speed like (the website says the download speed should be 3mbps, from memory)? Is it constant or does it drop in and out? Any other comments are helpful too. Thank you!

geek_diddles1, Apr 3, 9:01 pm

It is the same as a Smart phone just with a better aerial, if you get ok vodafone cell reception you will get coverage plans only have a 'small' amount of data, download speeds look good, but Ping some time is a little slow,
Good for low usage and as reliable as your Cell,

geek_pozzie-nz, Apr 4, 12:06 pm

I used Vodafone for a little while through their RBI and it was fantastic. Very fast and little to no drop offs. The only thing was that it was too expensive. 15Gb doesn't go far with a family of five!

geek_michael555, Apr 5, 2:33 pm

Thank you for answers, guys. Any other comments from others welcome. Our broadband is PATHETIC - slower than dial-up and we are in the Auckland region. So, it seems we will have to go with RBI to have a semi-decent service. Otherwise, it's satellite and that's mega expensive.

geek_diddles1, Apr 5, 8:34 pm

We have rural BB in Ashburton. About $95-$100 per month for 100gb (50gb peak - 50gb off peak), $19 national voip phone, UK, Aus and US. Speed was originally 3, now 5 up and down. Ping around 9 - 20. Does everything we want. Never any problems.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4264978727

geek_hakatere1, Apr 6, 2:02 am

Try Ubernet.I know northern part of Helensville has coverage.
http://ubergroup.co.nz/

geek_stuart, Apr 6, 2:25 am

Thanks you Hakatere1. Which provider are you with, please?

geek_diddles1, Apr 8, 3:49 pm

Thanks Stuart! Will have a look.

geek_diddles1, Apr 8, 3:50 pm

Ubergroup looks excellent, but not available for us. They said they may look at installing a transmitter in our area (South Head) by the end of the year though.

geek_diddles1, Apr 8, 6:35 pm

geek_hakatere1, Mar 11, 4:31 pm

Share this thread