"Hypothetical Question"

boots0016, May 6, 7:11am
How old is a 5 year old computer in human years?

king1, May 6, 7:18am
i'd go with 50-60, however
http://www.computerinhumanyears.com/

wayne416, May 6, 7:27am
Don't think you can compare to humans, ie up to date software with old hardware or the other way round, or perhaps you can with quick mind but worn-out body. Think it has more to do with the uses its put to and who uses it. I would say 5 years would equal about 80 human years, still goes but not able to do what you use to.

zak410, May 6, 7:30am
half that with Linux. ;)

boots0016, May 6, 7:36am
Thanks Wayne, that gives me another year or two

skin1235, May 6, 7:51am
either snobbery or fear; got to have the latest greatest fastest better than yours, or I don't actually understand these things called computers, if I humanise them I can make sure I am better than they are

they're a collection of electrical bits, theres no such thing as man years involved, when they were built they were capable of XYZ, today they are still just as capable, there have been faster models produced since that can do XYZ in less time, some can now do QRT too, obsolete is a human term, it does not apply to products manufactured to do a particular job

wayne416, May 6, 7:54am
I think with humans 80 is equal to about 50 now compared to 100 years ago, don't think that will ever happen with computers.

skin1235, May 6, 7:55am
does a rifle have a man age, does it ever become obsolete
stand in front of it and convince yourself it is dead, way past its use by date and could never possibly still work just as well as the day it was made

suicidemonkey, May 6, 8:23am
Not sure if sarcasm, but either way, what does the operating system have to do with the hardware age?

_drdee_, May 6, 9:41am
Sort of like a mental retardation ;)

gyrogearloose, May 6, 11:23am
It's 5 years old, because humans defined what a year means and no other answer would be logical.

king1, May 6, 8:00pm
Pretty sure the typewriters of the world would disagree.

mrfxit, May 6, 8:21pm
Agreed.
I have several computers here that are around 30 years old & still working as intended.

If you tried to calculate that in the suggested human years, then that would be approx 300 to 400 years old.
Not going to happen

mrfxit, May 6, 8:24pm
it's the ability of a specific alternative o/s to be able to run ok on hardware originally intended for OEM o/s's that can no longer keep up with the current modern day demands.

ross1970, May 6, 8:25pm
? Of course it does apply.

cafc2012, May 7, 5:19am
Nooo pretty much means exactly that. Obsotele - no longer produced or used. Hammers - old tech, but not obsolete. Line printers - old tech, obsolete

zak410, May 7, 8:10am
Sums it up, cheers.

skin1235, May 7, 8:51am
umm, typewriters as in the human sitting in front of it, the mechanical typewriter is just as good today as it was when manufactured, the human sitting in front of it is another matter

skin1235, May 7, 8:57am
same to the others, obsolete is the human term, there nothing wrong with the mechanical object, the need to have the latest drives the producers, that need is the human factor, its the human who decides what is obsolete, the rifle still works 200 yrs later, so does the mousetrap, age doesn't qualify something as obsolete, diminished human use does as things are replaced with newer

ross1970, May 7, 9:42am
Geez you talk yourself into circles. Things become obsolete.
"obsolete is the human term?" wtf?

missrat, May 7, 9:56am
Cor . my wee beauty is 65 and fit as a fiddle :)

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)