Multi subnet routers

I have a mate who wants a router with one wan port, and 2 lan ports with different subsets on each.

I know I could set up a mikrotik of some model for him. But wondered what else is available.

Once it is set up, he would like to use it but get his head round how it works, and be able to make any changes himself in future.

Happy to teach him through win box etc but he may benefit more from a better gui version

Any suggestions in another make or model, or is mikrotik the only budget conscious one

geek_shall, Jul 2, 7:41 pm

Make one out of an older/low end computer with a few Ethernet cards and pfSense?

geek_lugee, Jul 3, 9:48 am

+1 not a bad option.

geek_pyro_sniper2002, Jul 3, 9:52 am

Also if it's just for training you don't even need a machine with a few Ethernet adapters, just run the whole thing in your favorite desktop hyper visor and use virtual NICs.

geek_pyro_sniper2002, Jul 3, 10:12 am

not for training as such, will be in use. but want him to be able to play so i dont have to make all the changes in future for him, as he wants to learn. would prefer a small router over a computer for simplicity and size reasons. it is going into a small 6RU cabinet at his house which has a bit of equipment also. But will look into pfSense anyway. not heard of it before :)

geek_shall, Jul 3, 5:56 pm

Could even try a linux distro or something like smoothwall. Windows servers will allow this kind of thing also.

geek_jcmp21, Jul 3, 6:12 pm

draytek's do that.

geek_black-heart, Jun 27, 11:26 am

Share this thread