Q about recovering photos from an SD card

I have an SD card for my camera that somehow managed to get over-written while we were in the States last year. I managed to recover some photos using free recovery software but not all. My question is, is it worth taking the card to a professional to see if they can recover more or are they likely to get the same results. There were maybe half a dozen photos taken before I discovered it was overwritten.

geek_magoo1971, May 30, 7:46 pm

how important are they
your free software will have picked up all it can, can expensive professionals find more?, probably not, they will have been on the portion of the drive that has been overwritten, chances are anything recovered from there will be garbage

geek_skin1235, May 30, 7:56 pm

The camera should not have overwritten the card, it should have said 'card full' and refused to take any more shots. A professional may be able to get more off the card with forensic software, but it's a trial and error process. One reason why I never delete individual shot off the card is because the propensity for overwriting is there, not worth the risk. It's also why I always reformat the card, which writes a new file allocation table to the card. Simply deleting files just removes addresses from the file table, and tables can get corrupted over time if they are reused ad infinitum.

geek_cjdnzl, May 30, 8:06 pm

cjd, you can set the card to overwrite the oldest once it is full, on most cameras this is actually the default setting

geek_skin1235, May 30, 8:08 pm

Thanks for your replies. The lost photos are from our Hawaii/Vegas trip but we also took photos on our phones so we do at least have those rather than no photos at all. The card wasn't full - I suspect the photos got accidentally deleted/overwritten when we were at Freemont Street in Vegas on our last night (there may have been a bit of alcohol consumed and DP was in charge of the camera - whoops! ) I don't want to pay a professional if they're only likely to recover the same stuff as I did or a little more. I might just reformat the card and move on. We're off to Oz with our children and family friends in a few weeks so want to be able to use the card there.

geek_magoo1971, May 30, 8:11 pm

Geez, I think that's bloody dangerous. My camera a Canon dslr will not allow that at all.

geek_cjdnzl, May 30, 8:14 pm

strange, my canon powershot S3 has it as default, I've never run that close to full so have no idea if it chimes a warning or something before proceeding though

geek_skin1235, May 30, 9:03 pm

I genarally just buy a new Card to put in the camera, and keep the other ones then I can download the photos from the card when I want them, by putting card back into camera, and downloading them. Its not that dear to buy another card, and saves the loss of many photos, i also back them up onto my computer, and also onto a external hard drive, so have copies easy if I want them.

geek_josie12, May 31, 10:25 pm

recuva. google it.

geek_velenski, Jun 1, 9:19 am

Can recommend Recuva and its "deep scan" or what ever its called.
I use an external memory card reader too.

geek_mgc54, Jun 1, 4:39 pm

Hmm I've owned more than a few cameras, I've never seen that. No professional camera would ever have that setting. I suppose it could be a thing on consumer models.

geek_suicidemonkey, Sep 30, 2:57 am

Share this thread