Rg nixon and suicide monkey

At least he isn't an AMDork!

geek__drdee_, Apr 15, 8:03 pm

I am absolutely staggered that what started of as a well deserved thank you and acknowledgement of the help (NOT brand promotion) of unpaid contributors to this forum has descended into this petty nonsense. Once again, my thanks to SM, RGN and all the others that give their time to help.

geek_camac99, Apr 15, 9:47 pm

Thank you to all the people who help on the Computing message board. Always thought it was generally a good forum with few of the snide comments etc that you find elsewhere on the message board. But sneering talk about fanboys etc doesn't impress, everyone is allowed to have their preferences and foibles and I have always found people to be very helpful here (especially those mentioned). I am a recent Apple convert, so I guess you could call me an Apple fangirl, but a bit long in the tooth to be called that! I am sure there will be someone here to help if I have any problems with my Retina 5K iMac when I get it in a couple of weeks.

geek_mcdaff, Apr 15, 9:52 pm

Ohh good purchase. I've always been a fan of the iMacs. And being a video editor, the 5k display would be brilliant - lots of extra screen real estate. I just can't justify swapping out my brand new Windows desktop for an iMac unfortunately haha.

geek_suicidemonkey, Apr 15, 10:00 pm

My PC has done me proud, had it custom built in 2003, it had good components and is still running XP. It has gone just about every day all day since (except in thunderstorms and when we have been away) and it is still going strong, but developing a few problems now. So buying myself that iMac for my birthday. A new learning curve for me, but I am looking forward to it. Computers have come a fair way since the Amiga 500 in 1986, which was my first computer.

geek_mcdaff, Apr 15, 10:22 pm

Yep, same thing here. I didn't start using Macs until a few years ago, and before that I'd used Windows for about 15 years. I still do primarily use Windows for my work, but I also have a few Apple devices lying around that I use for movies/music, etc.

OS X really is great to use once you get used to it (it doesn't take long). Very intuitive operating system with a lot of features that make it fun to use.

Have fun :)

geek_suicidemonkey, Apr 15, 10:33 pm

Well done on a Excellent purchase.
I'm smitten by the way :) Amiga 500 had one of those myself loved that beast, brings back memories.

geek_neoslowmo, Apr 15, 10:44 pm

Yep, LG really know how to make nice panels :)
They already have the ability to make 8k panels.
http://gizmodo.com/lgs-ludicrous-8k-tv-is-too-insane-for-my-eyes-to-handle-1677790143

geek__drdee_, Apr 15, 11:12 pm

Unless you've experienced Guru Meditation first hand, well you just haven't lived, unless of course you 'upgraded' there from a C-64 and had waited patiently for up to 30 minutes for a game to load from the datasette! (Ghostbusters, Impossible Mission 'Destroy him my robots' and Beachhead with the authentic knife-throw across the river - argh thud) And the C64 of course was a natural 'upgrade' from the VIC-20 - with a whole 5kb of RAM, just enough for Frogger. Them were the days.

geek_cookee_nz, Apr 15, 11:14 pm

C64 for me was Arctic Fox, Dune and M.U.L.E.

geek__drdee_, Apr 15, 11:20 pm

Yeah that's crazy. Also crazy how fast display resolution is moving considering that 4k cameras are only just starting to become mainstream. And most video content is still only 1920x1080.

geek_suicidemonkey, Apr 15, 11:22 pm

But it has an AMD GPU, so you can't have it.

geek_lugee, Apr 16, 12:46 pm

Why not? I prefer Nvidia, but I never said there was anything wrong with AMD products, I've owned many in the past.

geek_suicidemonkey, Apr 16, 12:50 pm

See the little winky face to the left of the post, Maybe too subtle a reference to the threads going on at the moment.

Something about fanboiz and nvidiots.

geek_lugee, Apr 16, 1:03 pm

I know. I had a similar face on my post :P

geek_suicidemonkey, Apr 16, 1:12 pm

Yep did have the VIC 20
and

geek_neoslowmo, Feb 15, 4:15 am

Share this thread