I have a house sitter coming

and want them able to use my internet and WIFI. I now know that they can't just 'plug in' and away they go, but have no idea how to go about this. Not clued up at all. Any help most appreciated.

geek_flier3, Apr 11, 11:13 am

geek_velenski, Apr 11, 11:37 am

There s not too much to it.

To mantain the security of your wifi network:
Reset the password on your network, let the house sitter know what the new one is, change back when you get back.

Reset the password to your router ( the default is normally 'admin' ) This will prevent the house sitter from making any changes to your router settings.

To avoid any 'bill shock' :
Make sure that you have either unlimited data, or that if there is a cap, that any over-runs drop the speed to dial up at no additional charge.

geek_tintop, Apr 11, 11:37 am

If you feel comfortable for them to use your home computer to access the internet just do that.

or if that person wants to hook there own device on to your wifi connection, you will need to give them the password. Which is ok. you can always change the password when you get back.

Hope that helped. :)

geek_jess2151, Apr 11, 11:44 am

oh yeah that is a good tip tin top (y)

To avoid any 'bill shock' :
Make sure that you have either unlimited data, or that if there is a cap, that any over-runs drop the speed to dial up at no additional charge.

geek_jess2151, Apr 11, 11:47 am

Thank you for all the above! Um - where do I find the wifi password? And how much data I have available? Sorry but I'm clueless.

geek_flier3, Apr 11, 7:13 pm

If you have never reset the wifi password then chances are it's some random default one and it's written on a sticker on the bottom of the router.

As for what data plan you are on, what does your bill say you are paying for?

geek_ianab, Apr 11, 8:03 pm

Yay - found the password, thank you! And the BB package is 40GB. Thanks so much for your help.

geek_flier3, Apr 11, 8:48 pm

40 gb is not much nowdays, check what happens when you get to 40 gb. ?
Will be 1,2 or 3 :

1) it stops ?
2) it drops to dial up speed and no extra costs
3) you pay an arm and two legs for additional data at the normal speed.

geek_tintop, Apr 11, 9:21 pm

I have 40Gb. I use about 1/4 of it.
Not everyone is downloading or watching movies.

geek_lythande1, Apr 12, 7:12 am

And for some 100 is no where near enough.
Who knows what a house sitter uses?

geek_tintop, Feb 27, 5:04 am

Share this thread