Fibre Broad Band Connection

We have fibre in our street, and according to the web site installation is free.
I have Ultra VDSL and the online speed test show I have a download speed of 33 mbs and just over 9 mbs upload.
I am now running Lightbox but are having an annoying buffering problem.
At the moment I really can't see any advantage in switching
Comments would be appreciated

geek_alaine4, Feb 23, 1:29 am

1080p requires around 10mb/s bandwidth so your connection should already be fast enough. Are others downloading at the same time? Can you stream from other sites ok?

geek_stevexc, Feb 23, 1:32 am

Probably contention. You may as well go to UFB now, while Chorus can afford it. But don't be surprised if your speed drops to 27-28 for downloading (on the cheap plans).

geek_r.g.nixon, Feb 23, 4:17 am

also on vdsl - no problems with lightbox here - and thats with kids on wifi & youtube
Wouldnt mind fibre but at the moment im on the 40GB plan but im not metered if i went fibre i would be metered so not really any incentive for me to switch

geek_trade_menow, Feb 23, 4:44 am

Which ISP are you with? Also on VDSL and get ~40Mbps down / ~10Mbps up. No problems with Lightbox even with 3 kids and wife on youtube, facebook, and gaming. I'm with Telecom/Spark BTW.

geek_lostdude, Feb 23, 5:23 am

Spark. im not metered because
years back they gave out tivo and they say tivo isnt metered everything else is. trouble is they cant detect the difference so everything is unmetered

geek_trade_menow, Feb 23, 5:30 am

lostdude I am with Spark and I am in Rotorua.

Re Lightbox. I have carried out the suggested fixes but to no avail. The frustrating thing is that overseas sites stream with no problems without using silverlight

geek_alaine4, Feb 23, 6:39 am

It could be your PC isn't up to it - Silverlight isn't exactly efficient

geek_vtecintegra, Feb 23, 6:56 am

Thats assuming op is trying to stream it via pc.

geek_trade_menow, Feb 23, 7:00 am

They said Silverlight which implied they are using a PC

geek_vtecintegra, Feb 23, 7:36 am

Test with other devices, i.e. PS3/4, Android or iOS device.

geek_lostdude, Feb 23, 9:11 am

Fibre is okay, if op has a house on the street and not a back section(shared driveway) then be doesn't need ALL the neighbors permission as installation would only be from the street, slipped under his from lawn to a point on the side of the house. Shared driveway maybe different.
We're on ultra fibrr with Orcon. Unlimited 30, and phone line with tolls for $108 per month. My stepson is online watching streamed videos on our PC which has a wifi stick. I'm on wifi on my phone and partner is watching you tube videos on his phone. Also the phone line is open too.

geek_family007, Mar 2, 7:48 am

If you can get fibre I would get it while they are doing free installs (which isnt likely to last forever). Mine would have cost a bomb If i'd had to pay for it (20m shared driveway, although only shared with 1 other neighbour who was fine with it luckily)

geek_csador, Jun 24, 2:56 pm