Fibre Broad Band Connection

alaine4, Feb 23, 1:29am
We have fibre in our street, and according to the web site installation is free.
I have Ultra VDSL and the online speed test show I have a download speed of 33 mbs and just over 9 mbs upload.
I am now running Lightbox but are having an annoying buffering problem.
At the moment I really can't see any advantage in switching
Comments would be appreciated

stevexc, Feb 23, 1:32am
1080p requires around 10mb/s bandwidth so your connection should already be fast enough. Are others downloading at the same time? Can you stream from other sites ok?

r.g.nixon, Feb 23, 4:17am
Probably contention. You may as well go to UFB now, while Chorus can afford it. But don't be surprised if your speed drops to 27-28 for downloading (on the cheap plans).

trade_menow, Feb 23, 4:44am
also on vdsl - no problems with lightbox here - and thats with kids on wifi & youtube
Wouldnt mind fibre but at the moment im on the 40GB plan but im not metered if i went fibre i would be metered so not really any incentive for me to switch

lostdude, Feb 23, 5:23am
Which ISP are you with? Also on VDSL and get ~40Mbps down / ~10Mbps up. No problems with Lightbox even with 3 kids and wife on youtube, facebook, and gaming. I'm with Telecom/Spark BTW.

trade_menow, Feb 23, 5:30am
Spark. im not metered because
years back they gave out tivo and they say tivo isnt metered everything else is. trouble is they cant detect the difference so everything is unmetered

alaine4, Feb 23, 6:39am
lostdude I am with Spark and I am in Rotorua.

Re Lightbox. I have carried out the suggested fixes but to no avail. The frustrating thing is that overseas sites stream with no problems without using silverlight

vtecintegra, Feb 23, 6:56am
It could be your PC isn't up to it - Silverlight isn't exactly efficient

trade_menow, Feb 23, 7:00am
Thats assuming op is trying to stream it via pc.

vtecintegra, Feb 23, 7:36am
They said Silverlight which implied they are using a PC

lostdude, Feb 23, 9:11am
Test with other devices, i.e. PS3/4, Android or iOS device.

family007, Mar 2, 7:48am
Fibre is okay, if op has a house on the street and not a back section(shared driveway) then be doesn't need ALL the neighbors permission as installation would only be from the street, slipped under his from lawn to a point on the side of the house. Shared driveway maybe different.
We're on ultra fibrr with Orcon. Unlimited 30, and phone line with tolls for $108 per month. My stepson is online watching streamed videos on our PC which has a wifi stick. I'm on wifi on my phone and partner is watching you tube videos on his phone. Also the phone line is open too.

csador, Jun 24, 2:56pm
If you can get fibre I would get it while they are doing free installs (which isnt likely to last forever). Mine would have cost a bomb If i'd had to pay for it (20m shared driveway, although only shared with 1 other neighbour who was fine with it luckily)

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)