Fibre broadband

Been looking at getting fibre broadband, for a while.

Sick to death with the 5-7 Mb's crap.

Last night come across, MyRepublic Fibre broadband.

Says 100 Mb's down and 20 up, seems unbelievable.

Anyone have any first hand knowledge of them?

The first 3 months free looks good, just have to pay $50 upfront.

geek_ianalice1, May 17, 11:56 am

Certainly not unbelievable. Plenty of fibre plans offer double that speed or more.

geek_chrise73, May 17, 12:19 pm

Yes that's correct. Most providers offer a 100/50 mbit plan. Which is still slow by international standards, a pilot friend in Hong Kong has 1gbit unlimited for $60 NZ a month.

geek_suicidemonkey, May 17, 12:28 pm

Certain parts of NZ can get 1000/500 for under $100.

geek_chrise73, May 17, 1:25 pm

That's of fairly limited use as you'll only approach those speeds to local servers (and not even local to NZ, pretty much only in the same immediate area)

geek_vtecintegra, May 17, 1:27 pm

So does anyone know if MyRepublic is any good, as an ISP,

geek_ianalice1, May 17, 4:02 pm

I know someone who signed up recently with them. A bit of mucking around between Enable (local fibre network owner) and MyRepublic, but once they got the guy out to connect it, they were browsing at 100/20 same day. No issues since. Would recommend.

geek_lucky.gadgets, May 17, 8:41 pm

Was told by Snap that you lose your copper line when fibre is installed meaning you won't be able to use your landline in a power cut. Someone else told me this is not true. Does anyone who has fibre broadband still have their copper line?

geek_paulmc, May 18, 3:11 pm

I was told by my ISP it is your choice whether you leave your LL on copper or fibre. The disadvantage is, if the internet goes down you lose your LL.
But the advantage is if you put your LL on fibre you can get cheaper calling etc. So if you have a cell phone, in an emergency you can still call out.

geek_cleggyboy, May 18, 3:28 pm

The only reason you don't have a phone with fibre is that the ONT/ modem needs a power supply, if you don't have a battery back up for your normal cordless dect phone at home then no phone during a power cut as well

geek_sred69, May 18, 4:45 pm

I have been with MyRepublic in Christchurch for about 4 months on the 100/20 plan. Getting >95/19 and very happy with service.
We were with Spark on ADSL getting under 5Mbs, so fibre speeds are great. Three of us can be watching different youtube videos without any problems.

Changeover went pretty smoothly. Internet was active straight away, but had to wait a day or so for phone to change over.

We all have cell phones, so not too worried about losing phone during power cuts. We have very few power cuts. Even during Chch earthquakes we only lost power for a couple of hours or so.

I will probably get a UPS sometime soon just in case we have a power cut, but it will be more to protect the computer, rather than keep the fibre ONT powered up for the phone.

One thing I did was to not tell Spark to cancel our account until after fibre was up and running.
The 3 months of free fibre from MyRepublic will more than pay for the UPS and the extra month of Spark.

If you are with Spark you will loose your xtra email address when you change. I just opened a free outlook.com email account with the same user name I had with Spark. Getting all our contacts to change to new address was the biggest problem with the whole exercise.

geek_sparkyz, May 18, 5:45 pm

It is true but can be fixed with a UPS (battery backup) for about $100-$150 if it really bothers you that much. People seem to have this idea that in a disaster the old copper network would stay up and work fine, there is nothing to say it would at all.

geek_pyro_sniper2002, May 18, 9:17 pm

In new subdivisions and new homes, they are only laying fibre, so you are forced to go fibre. In existing homes the preference is to leave the copper line in place where practical. But if switched to fibre, in a power cut you'd still have no landline even if the copper line was left in place, because you'd not have been paying for a landline via copper, thus you'd get dial tone, or nothing if they disconnect it at the street.

geek_lucky.gadgets, May 19, 1:39 am

Chorus are planning to lay fibre in our street shortly. We are considering going over as our current broadband speeds are to put it mildly - slow. What is involved and what costs are involved in connecting to the fibre?

geek_samsnan, Jun 15, 4:35 pm

www.chorus.co.nz/installing-fibre/fibre-in-your-home-or-business/ufb-installation-easy-as-abc

No cost for me (Snap Internet) as I was already on a 24 month contract with them.

geek_r.g.nixon, Jun 15, 4:47 pm

I'm on the "regular" plan with My Republic.
This is from my upstairs office, using WIFI. Router is downstairs
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4430687108
Whenever you call them you get answered quickly with people with Kiwi accents!
Also have VOIP

geek_fishb8, Jun 15, 5:16 pm

True, assuming that the network company has UPS power in all of their cabinets and racks that light the fibre to your house. I'm not sure they do.

geek_gyrogearloose, Jun 15, 6:09 pm

The cabinets are passive and the exchanges certainly have battery backup and generators if it goes on for too long.

geek_pyro_sniper2002, Jun 15, 7:32 pm

We got fibre about a year ago. All the work was done out on the street and when they connected up to the house it took about three or four hours that we needed to be home for. They blew the cable up the existing pipe so no digging or anything here. We are down a shared driveway and our ISP apparently sent a letter to the neighbours to check it was ok with them but it had no impact on them at all. Two houses across the road have it and they had to have a trench dug for the cable but they are both older houses than ours and I don't think had a big enough pipe there already. We are very happy with it, our old broadband was very unreliable and we had a lot of issues with it dropping out and not being able to get a signal as well as our phone line not working well. We are with Inspire Net and there was no cost for connection.

geek_nadznz, Jun 15, 9:12 pm

I have recently switched to fiber with Orcon. Now I have the problem of my previously fast enough wifi network which was held together with the equivalent of duct tape and no 8 wire, now it is completely inadequate!

geek_piperguy, Aug 16, 3:25 pm

Share this thread