SSD vs conventional Hard drive for backup

Which is the safest for backing up priceless photos for long term? have 60gb at this stage.

I have tried clouds but find them slow or expensive.

Thanks

geek_timbo69, Jun 19, 9:27 am

SSDs are not designed to remain without power for extended periods - if they do you will lose data.

Cloud Storage is not expensive, and is going to be much more reliable than anything you can achieve locally but if recommend keeping another copy on an external disk anyway.

geek_vtecintegra, Jun 19, 10:20 am

I use backblaze. It is only $5.00 a month for unlimited space. It always sits active and updates constantly. I also back my hard drive (ssd) up onto two standard separate hard drives stored separately.

geek_kaituna, Jun 19, 10:46 am

The new Google Photos (Cloud) is free, for unlimited photos and videos.

geek_r.g.nixon, Jun 19, 10:46 am

i think for backups its not a huge problem to use normal hdd i have stuff backed up on hdd and on usb pen drive and burned on dvds for the important stuff. 3 different media is usually best for stuff that matters.
ssd are fast drives so not really what you should waste em for on storing files you might use one day again. unless you need to reuse the backup of course once a week or so. then you want a intel-ssd with 5 year warranty

geek_intrade, Jun 19, 11:43 am

If speed is a problem for backups you're doing it wrong

geek_directorylist, Jun 19, 11:47 am

Cloud storage is slow if you're on an ADSL connection. VDSL or fibre is really needed for the faster upload speed. 60GB would take forever on ADSL

geek_king1, Jun 19, 12:14 pm

Just get a blu ray writer and some single layer discs (25GB each) @ approx $5 a disc. Make a couple copies and store at least 1 set in a different psychical location (eg someone else's house). EMP proof, fewer points of failure compared to SSD and HDD but only if you have multiple copies, which is easy since discs are a lot cheaper than buying multiple HDD or SSD. At a pinch you could substitute blu ray for dvd, you'd just have 5x as many discs to store.

geek_lucky.gadgets, Jun 19, 5:16 pm

Yep I use Blu-Ray as one of the backups for my media work. Very reliable when stored well. Obviously they need to be used alongside HDD and cloud backups, but it's just another affordable solution.

geek_suicidemonkey, Jun 19, 5:29 pm

I must say that cloud storage can be expensive, dropbox is not cheap but is good if you can find referrals to increase your free storage, you also want a reputable company that is not going to fall under if SHTF.

The new google could photo storage sounds great and i will probably look into it myself.

geek_nzoomed, Jun 19, 5:52 pm

And how do you upload something wrong?

geek_timbo69, Jun 19, 6:28 pm

Thanks all, I guess the problem with disks is we store our photos in a file on PC and are adding to it all the time (kiddies growing) and to update would need to rewrite disks regularly, apparently we would 3 disks if we used blue ray.

Perhaps I will look into the clouds suggested above. google is probably safe!

It will only be needed if our laptop fails. which is bound to some day i guess

geek_timbo69, Jun 19, 6:35 pm

Google appears to be limited to 15gb of high quality for free- unlimited if they lower quality. $2us for 100gb, $10us for 1TB

So yep pretty cheap - I will give uploading a go! there goes my data for the month!

Will let you know

Thanks all

geek_timbo69, Jun 19, 6:49 pm

I don't think $10 US a month for Dropbox can be considered expensive, especially for 1TB of storage. Google Drive is even cheaper at $5 US a month.

CrashPlan is unlimited $5 US a month. Not quite as fully featured but good for just dumping files into the cloud.

geek_suicidemonkey, Jun 19, 7:28 pm

Also Google Photos only compresses photos larger than 16MP from what I just read. that's plenty big enough for most people.

geek_suicidemonkey, Jun 19, 7:30 pm

suicidemonkey wrote:
Also Google Photos only compresses photos larger than 16MP from what I just read. that's plenty big enough for most people.[/quote

When you start uploading you have a option to compress (free) or not compress (limited to 15gb) - what you are saying isn't obvious when you start up.

Im having trouble with uploading folders at the moment. can only seem to do the pictures. They are all tidy in folders now - really don't want to do that again if I can help it!

geek_timbo69, Jun 19, 7:52 pm

I guess its like insurance, always expensive until you need it.

geek_timbo69, Jun 19, 7:55 pm

Maybe not obviously when you sign up but the information is all over the web

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9293/google-introduces-google-photos

geek_suicidemonkey, Jun 19, 8:09 pm

I don't really understand the cloud storage thing. Wouldn't it be better to have the data stored on your harddrive somewhere you can physically access it - rather than on someone elses hard drive located in America or god knows where, where you have no physical access ? As for the reliability of Harddrive storage well the 'cloud' storage is on a hard drive isn't it ?

geek_nice_lady, Jun 19, 8:15 pm

Cloud storage gives you geographical diversity (having your primary storage and backup in the same location is a bad idea). Most cloud storage services replicate your data across multiple drives/locations, so you're not going to lose your data due to a hardware failure.

geek_utwo, Jun 19, 9:23 pm

When stored in the cloud your data is stored in huge data centres on massive RAID arrays, possibly even across multiple data centres (depending on the service). Data loss is extremely unlikely - it's far more protected than on a single drive sitting inside your computer.

But even so, even cloud storage by itself isn't a backup. Important data should be backed up on multiple mediums.

And when using a service like Dropbox or Google Drive - you do have physical access. Your files sit in a folder on your computer and then get synced to the cloud from there. That way, you can access them locally or remotely via the website. Very handy.

geek_suicidemonkey, Jun 19, 9:31 pm

You keep your files on your hard drive AND the cloud backup.

If Google go broke and shut down their data centre, you still have your hard drive. If your hard drive fails / house burns down / volcano erupts etc. You recover your files from Google's server farm.

Google mirrors the data across multiple disks and different data centres. Not 100% of course, but 99.999%, and it's only there as a backup to your own local hard disk.

Same as copying all your stuff to a portable hard drive (or 3) and leaving it at your Mum's house. If your local copy goes bye bye, you have a way of getting it back.

geek_ianab, Jun 19, 11:02 pm

I didnt think it was that cheap last time i looked, im sure it was around $40 per month when i checked. That price seems much more attractive though.

geek_nzoomed, Aug 7, 9:04 pm

Share this thread