3D printer, anyone has one or thinking of buying

ang_ck, Feb 5, 6:38am
If you have one, what are the pros and cons of what you have?
If you are thinking of buying one, what have you decided and why?

zak410, Feb 5, 6:55am

tillsbury, Feb 5, 7:03am
I have a Replicator 5g, not bad, had it close to a year. I would probably like to get a form 1+ when they become available to ship out of the U.S.

babcorp, Feb 5, 7:14am
What sorts of things have you made with it. post up some pics.

ang_ck, Feb 5, 7:23am
Wow, Form 1+ has no spool, liquid resin. Fantastic

ang_ck, Feb 9, 7:13am
tillsbury, what are the pros and cons of the Replicator 5g?

tillsbury, Feb 10, 12:29am
Pros: works out of the box, good quality, reasonable amount of ability to fiddle, very little requirement to be an engineer or bodge things. Wireless and network capable. Lots of users so lots of help out there when you get stuck. Fairly good software bundled for the printing. Can print reliably for long periods with large prints. My 11-year-old can use it easily. Cons: not particularly quick, not incredible quality, not suitable for tinkerers or those wanting to experiment with ABS or other materials or fiddling. Stuck with Makerbot's interface.

the form 1+ is going to be a lot more expensive to print with, more complex to use, more complex to maintain, more fiddling with software. But higher quality prints if you're ready to put up with the downsides.

nzoomed, Feb 10, 12:42am
The reprap 3D printer is pretty the best thing you can buy for the money, it actually will outperform more expensive 3D printers up to $5K in value, depending on the parts and hot head you use etc.
Larger printers also cost more to build. 200x200mm is the acceptable size, making any larger work area will cost significantly more.
You can build one for under $1200.

My mate has built one and its awesome.

tillsbury, Feb 10, 7:27am
Yes, something like a reprap is great, but you will need to be prepared to get your hands dirty and one person in the household will need to be properly computery to make things work well. There are very few that you can plug in and use as yet. The Makerbots are closest, but still not entirely plug and play.

nzoomed, Aug 27, 9:00pm
yeah well the technology is still in its infancy as far as the consumer market goes, since most people who are into 3D printing have some technical knowledge, a reprap shouldnt be too bad, even my mate has successfully built one and he is not an electronics expert nor had any experience with arduino. Those 3D printers at noel leeming are total crap and you pay about $2K for one.

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)