OEM Windows licenses

-kiel-, Feb 5, 11:58am
Hi, I have a few unused copies of windows 7 premium labeled
"OEM System builder pack" - not retail.

Would I run into any trouble selling these individually on Trademe?
Or would I need to bundle them with a system to sell?

Thanks in advance

cookee_nz, Feb 5, 5:23pm
Its more Microsoft that may have a problem than TM. Rule used to be that any significant hardware qualified as a 'system', ie HDD, MOBO, RAM, CPU or combinations thereof. But I also think that applied to the licensed reseller and may not affect on-selling so much. They may ask how you acquired them,, but really, could they even be bothered? Its not like they are counterfeit or stolen ;-)

mrfxit, Feb 5, 6:53pm
Licensing is very prohibitive about how you "sell" MS COA's & factory cd's.
Once installed, they are tied to THAT pc for life.

Not sure about the OEM install kits but normally they can only be sold FROM MS to the OEM installer & after that to the rubbish bin.
It's possible they can be MS legally transferred between OEM installers ok.

Personally I would find someone thats needing to build a few late model PC's & do a swap or 2 for what you both need.

Either TM or an uptight MS snob here will nail the auctions
Had that happen with win95 cd's before

sakkara, Feb 5, 11:12pm
i will give you $20 each for them no questions asked lol

ang_ck, Feb 5, 11:35pm
i bought mine from Ebay and it cost me like $50 each. As far as I am concern, if I have the COA, it is a legit copy.

pyro_sniper2002, Feb 6, 12:53am
If you're breaking the terms of the licence then it's not legit.

pyro_sniper2002, Feb 6, 12:53am
When you say un unsed did you buy them new or did they come with a PC you brought?

-kiel-, Feb 6, 5:45am
They were purchased new from PB Tech, ( http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=OSYMSO8670A&name=Microsoft-Windows-7-Home-Prem-64bit-OEM- )

I had plans to use them in an upcoming project but are now surplus to requirements.

-kiel-, Feb 6, 6:02am

gibler, Feb 6, 6:18am
TradeMe's own rules. you may list:

" Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) software, but only together with the equipment for which it is licensed."

logo, Feb 6, 7:49pm
Breaking a business' terms & conditions is very different to breaking the law.

mojo49, Feb 6, 8:19pm
Have watched and bought Win licences on TM over the years. In the last couple of years any OEM licences on TM with no PC have usually been removed by TM. Maybe after a complaint from a Microsoft person paid to watch those listings? Definitely a good and popular buy when you can get them but as a buyer you have to get in quick. As a seller I suspect you will get a smack on the wrist with a wet bus ticket from TM, so long as you plead ignorance. Try selling them one at a time under various friends etc TM IDs.

pyro_sniper2002, Feb 8, 12:32pm
Nor did I say it was. But whats the point of buying a copy of something, when it's no more legit than getting a torrented cracked copy?

mrfxit, Feb 8, 7:16pm
Slightly more legit because you have the paper sticker with the extra numbers on it which you don't get with a torrented copy.
Might even get some of the other documentation thats often with the shop purchased sticker

ross1970, Feb 8, 8:08pm
Which is irrelevant in this case because new UNUSED oem:nonslp ( system builder ) isn't yet licensed to any hardware/equipment - Until it's installed. So TMs rules are a bit borked.

mantagsi, Feb 8, 11:28pm
I bought one a while ago and out of the blue I got a message that it was pirated, Microsoft didn't want to know about it and so far the seller has been helpful over email I guess, but I feel these cheap deals on OEM licences may not be such a great idea. Bit of a waste of my money now that I have a windows 7 pc that I have to shell out again for another copy of windows 7

richardw13, Feb 9, 12:48am
Suggest you sell privately, or keep for a future PC. As it is windows 7, you could install on a new PC and get windows 10 for free for the first year of them offering it.

-kiel-, Feb 10, 3:55am
Well I ended up listing them, if they get removed so be it.
I purchased them over the counter at a well known reputable business and I am selling them as I brought them. An unopened cardboard box with a windows disk and licence in it.

The buyer can come and inspect for themselves before handing over their hard earned money if they so choose. Nothing shady going on here.

mrfxit, Feb 10, 8:53am
Ouch, TM narks at it again.

frogycrzy, Feb 10, 9:08am
if you got from ebay was it a truested seller? as some noobs sell pirated msdn items. and thay are dam good at making fake oem certs

mrfxit, Aug 27, 10:05am
*Cough*

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)