Connectivity from computer to Samsung 32"

hi there, recently switched to broadband and enjoying on demand TV, however my computer screen is only 17".
my question is, is there a cable that can run from computer to TV so that I can watch on the big screen, or alternatively could I plug in my old laptop to the TV and use the wifi to view that way?

geek_bayloft, Jun 23, 10:48 pm

Yes you can. It's a matter of having a look at what display outputs your computer has and matching it to the inputs on your TV.

The common ones are VGA, DVI and HDMI. HDMI is best for that kind of thing.

geek_suicidemonkey, Jun 23, 10:49 pm

Just asking first as I had the most ridiculous amount of trouble getting my BB to run in the first place, and then how to connect the speakers for goodness sake ;)

geek_bayloft, Jun 23, 10:49 pm

so look for HDMI output on computer, check back of TV, and see which plugs/cable I need, yes?
(its actually probably 5 metres or so from computer to TV, that's why I was wondering about using laptop as an alternative)

geek_bayloft, Jun 23, 10:52 pm

Use HDMI if computer AND TV have it. Then change sound on computer to HDMI. Done.
Or if only TV has HDMI then get HDMI connector.

geek_trevenco, Jun 23, 11:30 pm

Use whatever computer has HDMI. And you use your TV for sound, no need for speakers.
You can get a long HDMI to reach TV.

geek_trevenco, Jun 23, 11:32 pm

Not many Desktops have HDMI, so I suspect your only option is a VGA cable and Audio Cable from your desktop, which won't be that brilliant either or if your laptop has HDMI, which isn't guaranteed it will either, use that.

geek_d.snell, Jun 24, 1:21 pm

OK, no HDMI on desktop nor laptop
I do have a VGA cable (same plug both ends) so I could use the laptop with TV, but David you're saying I'll need audio as well, so I'll see what else I can find.

trevenco, use a HDMI connector with what?
edit - just googled it, does that adaptor go into the VGA on the laptop?

geek_bayloft, Jun 24, 7:08 pm

i use my samsung as monitor and i got android samsung wifi remote you need the wifi dongle we just changed the firmware on a cheap 10$ wifi stick with the same chip as the samsung wivi dongle to make that in to a samsung one You can get a converter box vga to hdmi make sure its a box its not just a cable from vga to hdmi. my one has only got hdmi input and the banana audio video. no vga on the tv input.

geek_intrade, Jun 24, 8:30 pm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/electronics-photography/tvs/cables-aerials/auction-904321171.htm
thats for vga to hdmi conversion. there is loads on here just make sure to get the right one .
hdmi to vga is only a cable but vga needs a convertion box

geek_intrade, Jun 24, 8:32 pm

What's banana audio video?

So the converter box plugs into the vga socket on the laptop, and the HDMI cable into that, yes?

Modem has wifi so I am expecting laptop to be able to pick that up, yes?

(my son has used what I think is a dongle when he's been here - plugs in a USB thingy that he puts his phone sim card into, and uses the laptop that way, before I had BB here)

geek_bayloft, Jun 24, 8:36 pm

ta for this, thought we were talking about something like this link below
http://www.molex.com/molex/products/datasheet.jsp?part=active/0687670026_IO_CONNECTORS.xml

geek_bayloft, Jun 24, 8:40 pm

no from vga out on your computer you need the box , i have vga and hdmi on my laptop but hdmi dont works on linux so i was going to buy a converter and done my research from vga to the--> hdmi plug you need the conversion box,
from hdmi --> to vga you dont

geek_intrade, Jun 24, 9:02 pm

Audio cable is 3.5 mm phono to 3.5mm phono. One of these http://www.trademe.co.nz/electronics-photography/home-audio/cables/auction-905775124.htm Plug it into the headphone jack of the laptop and into the PC Audio jack on the TV.

geek_d.snell, Jun 25, 1:24 am

Actually - for audio OP would need RCA to 3.5mm such as listing 905299892
also op - hopefully your BB is unlimited or you'll quickly find out just how much data it uses up :)

geek_trade_menow, Jun 25, 1:38 am

Why? The TV's Switched over to PC Mode, which usually has a 3.5mm Audio input not RCA inputs.

geek_d.snell, Jun 25, 1:23 pm

opps, just looked up the manual for 32" Samsung and it appears it's quite a low spec model with very limited inputs and doesn't include VGA PC Input, so forget everything I told you and without HDMI on any of you computers, you will need to buy a VGA to HDMI adapter ($40) to connect to your TV, an updated Video Card for the PC that has HDMI (anything from $60 to $300, depending on specs of your desktop) or a later model Laptop. Any which way is going to cost, so you need to decide which way is best for you.

geek_d.snell, Jun 25, 1:45 pm

thanks for your input guys, will digest over the weekend :)
(and yup the TV is 2009, can you believe we paid $1900 odd for it then?!)

geek_bayloft, Jul 23, 3:31 pm

Share this thread