Let sleep or turn off

I have a wonderful new PC which, when in "sleep" mode appears to almost close down. Can someone who knows about these thing advise me what to do when I have finished for the day. Put into "sleep" mode, or turn off?
It is not power consumption that is my main concern but what is best for the PC

geek_spencer26, Apr 9, 4:20 pm

Let it sleep. Every so often it pays to do a full reboot, especially if it's running slowly or acting strangely. but 99% of the time it's fine to let it sleep.

geek_suicidemonkey, Apr 9, 4:23 pm

I am of the opposite camp, I have found Windows to be terrible at sleep/hibernation and causes all sorts of issues like failing to wake/black screens. I prefer to shut down.

geek__drdee_, Apr 9, 4:45 pm

No problems here. I think it's possible hardware dependent as I have had older computers that had issues with sleep. But my newer computers have been fine.

geek_suicidemonkey, Apr 9, 4:55 pm

I have that problem with my current PC but it seems to be a motherboard issue. Otherwise I find sleep function better.

geek_schizoid, Apr 9, 5:11 pm

Yep. Handy trick: Start - run - cmd - "powercfg -h off" to turn hibernation off. Frees up a lot of space.

geek_suicidemonkey, Apr 9, 6:36 pm

Turn off at end of day and just adjust power options to say shut screen off after a few minutes of inactivity and shut down hard drive after say 5 minutes and leave on during the day if you are going to use it now and then.

geek_wayne416, Apr 9, 7:50 pm

It's not Windows, it's crappy hardware drivers.

geek_lugee, Apr 10, 3:35 pm

Hubby and I hibernate all our computers most of the time. Why wouldn't you ? Using a few GB of space for the hibernate file isn't any kind of issue even though they all have SSD drives which kind of helps them start fast. Hubbys 4.5yr old toshiba I5 laptop starts from cold boot in 12 seconds and about8 8.5 seconds from hibernate. It is running the latest win 10 version.

geek_nice_lady, Apr 10, 4:01 pm

Computers in offices and businisses are left on 24hrs 7 days a week,with no problems All they do is turn off the monitor,so the age old argument of which is best is an old wives tale.
There is more wear and tear on hard drives and components starting up everyday.
you will find you will get lots of confilcting arguments from different people.
I think it is your own preference as to what you find the easiest for you.
I have 2 computers one I turn off at night when it is not in use,have done for years with no problems the other I hibernate or sleep every night and there again no problems. Have done for years.
Most of the updates and back ups are scheduled for night when I am in bed anyway so as not to interfere with computer use.

geek_newbie5, Apr 10, 4:17 pm

I'd rather wait the extra 3-4 seconds and cold boot it. Or just put it to sleep and have it up and running almost instantly.

Also the hibernation file is equal to 75% of your physical memory. So people like myself with 32GB of RAM. that's a big file.

geek_suicidemonkey, Apr 10, 4:22 pm

The average Joe Blogs computer user would not have 32gb ram

geek_newbie5, Apr 10, 4:46 pm

Suicidemonkey, try using a RAMDrive for your %temp% files and browser cache, if you seldom need all your 32GB. Then you'll have a much smaller hibernation file. www.softperfect.com/products/ramdisk/

geek_r.g.nixon, Apr 10, 5:38 pm

I've been working with PCs and in I.T since early 90s
Nothing really wrong with letting it sleep or hibernate (personal preference would be sleep, reason been mentioned by suicidemonkey)
But my personal machines are on constantly but I do shut them down when i'm going to bed, no real reason I just do.
I turn them on in the morning - shut them down when going to bed, but that's purely so I can access them if I need to from work etc.

geek_neoslowmo, Apr 10, 9:14 pm

Good call. I know the theory but haven't ever read much into it. Will have a looksee, cheers.

geek_suicidemonkey, Apr 10, 9:35 pm

Our work ones and left running during the week but all programmes should be closed. They are turned off completely over the weekend. My old Dell laptop was often running most of the day when I was home. It still goes but has been retired. Now that I have an iPad I use that in the morning and the laptop is on as soon as I step in the door and goes off when I head to bed.

geek_joanie04, Apr 10, 10:14 pm

my setup runs 24/7 i just turn my monitor off at night (big ugly CRT)

geek_pcmaster, Apr 11, 4:17 pm

Hibernate can make quite a difference to start speed depending on the machine. My Sony Vaio netbook doesn't have a fast processor and therefore is much faster to start up from hibernate, (the SSD helps). Once the machine gets to windows it doesn't have to muck around loading the antivirus and all the other stuff it's already good to go. So for me hibernate works well.

geek_nice_lady, Mar 1, 5:18 pm

Share this thread