Where can I download win 7 home premium x64 from?

You used to be able to dl versions of windows 7 before but Microsoft has removed this feature. Now you have to go through the recovery centre which is not allowing me to dl home premium as it says my version is an OEM version and I need to contact the manufacturer, Sony.

Does anyone know where I can download a version of win 7 home premium x64?

geek_rats123, Aug 4, 10:00 pm

geek_r.g.nixon, Aug 4, 10:04 pm

Not there.
Update:

Microsoft has stopped providing Windows 7 ISO images directly to the public. You can only download them directly from Microsoft if you have a genuine Windows 7 product key that you??ôve purchased from an authorized retailer.

Unfortunately, too many lowlifes were selling Enterprise Keys to MS programs and telling the unsuspecting buyer to go to Digital River to D/L the appropriate ISO for the key. The little scumbag turds buggered it for everyone. Even still today, there are turds selling keys on TM and bullshitting everyone that they are fully legal. Rubbish but TM ignore it and allow them to continue to cheat and lie.

geek_d.snell, Aug 5, 12:15 am

They link to safe copies further down the page. Takes you to http://mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/
You'll need to use a Torrent Client to download it.
I used this method and site successfully a month or so ago.

geek_r.g.nixon, Aug 5, 7:35 am

Have used same link to reinstall win7 to a laptop with a dead hard drive few motnsh ago too.

geek_rz_zone, Aug 5, 1:29 pm

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=5842

Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (KB976932)

geek_gsimpson, Aug 5, 5:20 pm

In the process of downloading W7. I have W10 running now but can't activate it. I will have to overwrite it with W7, activate that and then reinstall W10. I chatted on MS help desk. When I gave my W7 key they said it was blocked and hinted at piracy (I bought laptop new with W7). We shall see if W7 still works.

geek_gsimpson, Aug 5, 5:24 pm

Seems to happen quite a lot. Frankly I've given up arguing with them about supposedly blocked keys. I know some people don't have a problem but I always seem to get the difficult person.

geek_namtak, Aug 5, 5:50 pm

Not me, I don't play golf. And it's fine, I am in the Computer Business so have a complete set of all the versions of Windows ISO's since Windows 3.0.
Also, the hacks to authenticate windows are readily available on the net, usually the Windows 7 Activator by Daz (Team Rjaa) works well if you need a quick solution but it's far from foolproof and should never be used for permanent activation. There are far superior methods, if needed, but they are a Trade Secret :-)

geek_d.snell, Aug 5, 6:58 pm

yep, I know those links are still up, but I refuse to use or recommend any torrent based downloads, Too many exploits and hooks if not careful.

geek_d.snell, Aug 5, 7:02 pm

I think I saw MD5 or some sort of file hashes there. not that I bothered. But the paranoid (or extra careful) could use those!

geek_r.g.nixon, Aug 5, 7:04 pm

It's not being paranoid, it's being careful. Had many a client complaining about slowness and or bandwidth usage, only to find they had used a Torrent Client to download programs and left it active and sharing in the background for months afterwards.

geek_d.snell, Aug 5, 7:18 pm

Not having much luck getting it to work. Had another chat with the help desk. They provided me with this link
http://whistlercloudservice.cloudapp.net/en-us/software-recovery

Still no joy for me and they suggested I go to manufacturers website.
At the moment I am 95% Linux. That may go to 100%.

geek_gsimpson, Aug 5, 8:10 pm

If your notebook came pre-installed with windows 7, there should be a recovery partition on it's HDD that you can restore Windows 7 from.
Well, that's if some stupid idiot, pretending to know something about computers, hasn't deleted it or reformatted the HDD before taking the time to run the Notebook Manufacturer's routine to create the Recovery Disk Set in case of HDD or other catastrophic failure .

geek_d.snell, Aug 5, 11:56 pm

Yes. I made a new recovery disc off my old drive and got W7 working fine on the new larger drive. W10 update went all night and at 70% complete has just failed with an "unknown error" and restarted again from 1%. Joy
I am used to doing a simple backup in Linux and a fresh OS install off USB which is quick and simple when a new version comes out. What a palava with Windows and the help desk have given me conflicting and wrong advice as well as accusing me of piracy at one stage. The advice on here has been better.

geek_gsimpson, Aug 6, 12:31 pm

I think you have possibly not followed a correct procedure somewhere. Were the "Recovery Disks" you made and used to change HDD's, the actual Recovery Disks created with the Notebook Manufacturer's routine or did you use some other disk cloning / Ghosting Program?
With the manufacturer's "Recovery Disk" routine, it will build a recovery partition on the new HDD and will not require a serial number for authenticity. The actual number on the bottom of notebook's using XP / Vista / 7 isn't usually the number embedded in the actual operating system installed on the laptop. In reality It was just for show.
A word of advice, Uninstall ANYTHING off the notebook that doesn't belong to Microsoft and your success rate will increase. That is especially relevant to 3rd party Anti Virus and other Security Type programs, as well making sure IE is set as your default browser and any hacks or patches that integrate or modify windows behaviour are disabled and removed.

geek_d.snell, Aug 6, 12:56 pm

I made the recovery disc from the routine in the control panel. It seems to have worked OK. The number on the bottom of the laptop is unreadable anyway and I got codes using Belarc advisor.
There is not much installed on windows as I only use it for talking to my car and a couple of games. Linux does CAD, Accounting, Office, email, Internet and most gaming (via steam)
The problem is I am putting off installing Linux on the new drive until W10 is operational as I know W10 will sabotage the Grub loader.

geek_gsimpson, Aug 6, 1:46 pm

OK, don't know of a Manufacturer's Recovery disk routine in Control Panel, doesn't exist. As I suspected you used the Windows Backup System and possibly created an ISO. Not what you should have done, that is a BACKUP not a SYSTEM RECOVERY, which is what you needed. Sorry, but because of that initial mistake, that is why you are having so much trouble now.
Have you still got the old HDD in it's original state or is that toast? If so, put it back in the notebook and Create the CORRECT System Recovery Disks that are provided the the notebook's MANUFACTURER, not windows, then use those disks to transfer the o/s to the new HDD. If you haven't, then you're toast.
Also, As I said earlier, The COA on the machine label ISN'T the same as the one used by the factory install, so if you got the one from the machine on the old system, then it will be a generic OEM and will come up as blocked and as the "COA" is damaged, again you are stuffed unless you can use the factory recovery disks.

geek_d.snell, Aug 6, 2:21 pm

It is a totally new hard drive. So I can put the old drive back in at any stage. I did create recovery discs when I got the computer. I have seen them somewhere.
To clarify what I have used is go to
Control panel>System & security>Backup & restore>"Create a system image"

I then used this image on the new drive.

geek_gsimpson, Aug 6, 2:34 pm

For what it,s worth I too 'failed to complete' the Win 10 upgrade on a cloned Win 7 drive. after numerous fails I reverted to the original drive which I had intended to keep as a recovery and the Win 10 installer rattled through without a missed beat.

geek_asmawa1, Aug 6, 2:54 pm

The system image is not what you needed.
That's good news, provided the Old Hdd HASN"T been reformatted at some stage and had it's recovery partition removed. So we will assume it hasn't.
Put the old HDD back in the notebook. Start it up and look under the start menu for a Recovery Disk Set Creation under the notebook's manufacturers name and create them. Depending on the notebook, some manufacturers allow you to use a USB drive instead of DVD's. And some allow you to create as many sets as required, some (usually Compaq / HP) allow only one set to be made, but that's easy to get around to make 2nd set, so not a problem.

geek_d.snell, Aug 6, 3:08 pm

An update on the update. Despite my belligerence the update to W10 has worked. It downloaded and installed just fine. I checked in the settings and it says W10 home and that it is activated. The first failure was probably MS servers having a meltdown.

BTW it is an Acer aspire 5750G.
When I clicked on Control panel>System & security>Backup & restore>"Create a system image"
It created a DVD boot recovery disc and then transferred the rest of the image to a USB hard drive I had plugged in.
When I fitted the new Hard drive it booted off the DVD and installed W7 back to the way I had it before. Then did the W10 update with only the one stumble.
The machine now looks like it did in W7 with all my data and programs still there.

geek_gsimpson, Aug 6, 4:49 pm

Create a system image does not create an ISO

geek_gsimpson, Aug 6, 5:11 pm

Well if you had a Win7 image why were you even trying to download another copy of win 7 (Post # 8) and install that on your system? I'm completely lost as to what you were trying to do and the way you were going about it, but good that you got there in the end :-)

geek_d.snell, Mar 19, 3:30 pm

Share this thread