Gigabyte I/O shield needed

Anyone out there have a I/O shield for a gigabyte GA-MA74GMT-S2 motherboard?case doesn't look complete without one.

geek_boston1964, Feb 28, 9:46 pm

Pic? or are we going to have to google it.

geek_soodanim, Mar 2, 3:54 am

geek_boston1964, Mar 2, 7:06 am

It's the left hand side thats the killer

geek_mrfxit, Mar 2, 7:50 am

Can get one ex USA but for $50 with freight I would rather put up with the extra air flow.

geek_boston1964, Mar 2, 10:21 am

Goodluck, replacement I/O shields are a pain in the arse to find.

My advice? Don't look at the back of the computer and you'll never know it's missing.

geek_oclaf, Mar 2, 4:16 pm

make one yourself,
I usually cut up empty ice cream container lids, the rectangular 1L ones work nicely
or I'll use margarine containers if I need slot covers for pci slots and the like

I've been doing it for years, havent yet had any melt from heat or anything

geek_pcmaster, Mar 2, 4:29 pm

Leaving a dirty big hole at the back of the PC and leaving your computer components exposed to extra dust and dirt is always a great idea. No to mention stress on the motherboard ports. Not to mention electrostatic discharge possibilities by sticking something in too far because there's no plate. Up to you but they aren't just cosmetic, they are there for a reason. I believe there maybe medications to curb the tendency to type before thinking too :)

I have some in the garage OP but I can't get to them at the moment. If I get a chance I'll have a look and see if there's one like that.

geek_soodanim, Mar 2, 7:46 pm

or a thin piece of perspex for a slightly cleaner look

geek_trade_menow, Mar 2, 7:52 pm

Perhaps he is afraid this will happen
http://www.hoax-slayer.com/snake-in-computer.shtml

geek_macman26, Mar 2, 8:06 pm

geek_soodanim, Mar 2, 8:11 pm

perspex is for rich people

i never have shortages of margarine or icecream containers

geek_pcmaster, Mar 2, 10:41 pm

Thanks appreciate it.

Leaving a dirty big hole at the back of the PC and leaving your computer components exposed to extra dust and dirt is always a great idea. No to mention stress on the motherboard ports. Not to mention electrostatic discharge possibilities by sticking something in too far because there's no plate. Up to you but they aren't just cosmetic, they are there for a reason. I believe there maybe medications to curb the tendency to type before thinking too :)

I have some in the garage OP but I can't get to them at the moment. If I get a chance I'll have a look and see if there's one like that.[/quote]

geek_boston1964, Mar 2, 11:13 pm

Your experience means that's it's fine for everyone? That's pretty naive :) You're right. I guess people can convince themselves of anything based on little to no evidence lol

geek_soodanim, Mar 3, 12:56 am

I've checked and I can't find any . must have had a bigger clean out than I thought. Sorry

geek_soodanim, Mar 7, 6:09 pm

OP, not sure what you did to get some of these dumb-arse responses, must have been the full moon. May I suggest you might try either Dove or MEC (was Melco), one or both of them have been importers/distributors of GB mobo's in the past, you never know what they might have lying around. FWIW, I'm with you, if it was my PC I'd want the shield there as well, aesthetically better, eliminates anything finding it's way in there for whatever reason, ie a paper clip or staple drops off the edge of your desk, bounces in and hello, poof. And apart from anything else, it's neat and professional. Maybe try some local PC's shops if you have any handy.

geek_cookee_nz, Mar 8, 3:57 pm

Always find it amusing that posts you get when asking a simple question,some people have too much time on their hands.I tried Dove with no luck and several shops.Thanks I will try Melco.
Next task i will build a house and leave the doors off LOL

geek_boston1964, Jun 7, 4:19 am

Share this thread