Phone.

I am in my 60's with average computer skills and need a new phone. any suggestions as which one to get. I have a few grandies so a phone is needed nowadays. not too expensive. any help will be appreciated

geek_lakinmae, Jun 10, 7:26 pm

iPhones are very simple and easy and smooth to operate, can't go wrong really. Either iPhone 5 s or the new iPhone 6 would be great!

geek_rosie39, Jun 10, 7:35 pm

iPhones probably don't count as "not too expensive"

geek_suicidemonkey, Jun 10, 7:39 pm

Not pushing a particular brand but Huawei is a good solid brand and reasonably priced, just depends on what screen size your happy with. Know a few kids with them and virtually indestructible and reliable. Of cause doesn't mean the one you buy will be the same, same with any brand.

geek_wayne416, Jun 10, 7:50 pm

I've always maintained that Windows Phones are an excellent tradeoff between price and simplicity. Androids tend to get quite slow and buggy going from my mums experience, and can be quite complex to learn.

Nice thing about Windows phone for older people is that its an easy learning curve (like an iPhone) and has system-wide text size which is nice if you find you need glasses all the time.

geek_kieran211, Jun 10, 8:06 pm

Righto then.

1. Windows phones range from $50-1000+, just like Android phones.
2. Sure, cheap Android phones might get "slow and buggy". Cheap Windows Phones do too. Buy something decent - I'm currently on my 8th Android phone and I've never had problems, but I don't buy crap.
3. Android is no harder to learn than iOS or Windows Phone. The latest versions have made huge improvements.
4. Android has system-wide font sizes too - minus some 3rd party apps which need to be changed themselves. This is the same on iOS.

geek_suicidemonkey, Jun 10, 8:12 pm

Thing with Windows Phone and iOS apps as they are more highly sandboxed than an Android, the app-stores are also more rigorously curated.

I realise all 3 OS platforms have system-wide font sizing but this is by far more utilised in iOS and Windows phone, and 3rd party apps on those platforms. Whereas 3rd party Android apps rarely use system font sizing.

I've used flagship devices from all 3 platforms and issues like a laggy response and crashing apps were by far more prevalent on the Samsung GS5 and HTC One with Android than on the iPhone 5s or the Lumia 920 I've owned.

Have noticed the same feedback from my mum with a Samsung S3mini - she's always asking "why isn't x working?" lots of little specific things like (for example) the stock SMS app doing weird stuff and not opening a message thread from a notification, or the touch screen activating while a phone-call is active and the phone is against your ear because the proximity sensor or something is bugging out, causing random button presses. Things like that just feel much more ironed out in iOS and Windows Phone devices by a combination of a more tightly controlled software and hardware environment. Sure you could say try another SMS app or hard reset the device, but why should anyone have to if they're after a 'simple' device?

I used to work selling phones and the only good feedback device wise I heard was from the Windows phone - if someone had purchased an Android phone and was back in store - more than likely they'd come back to find out how to do something on it because it was so complex to a novice.

With the $50-1000 price range, not quite - Windows Phones have a minimum required hardware spec whereas Androids can be any old hardware, so even a cheapie Windows phone will have reasonable performance.

geek_kieran211, Jun 10, 8:30 pm

Android can't be "any old hardware". Each version of Android has its own minimum hardware requirements. But at the end of the day, buy a cheap phone and you're going to get a bad experience. But funnily I've owned the flagships you mentioned and never had a problem. Samsung devices can be laggy but it's due to Samsung's crappy software - not Android. And the HTC One (I've owned all 3 of them) is just a flawless experience IMO.

I've owned iPhones too and found them to be buggy and crashy at times, just as Android can be. Just as Windows can be. Just as OS X can be. They're all computers after all.

As for the app stores - yes Android is a free for all, I see that as a good thing. More choice.

Anyway, each to their own, go forth and enjoy gadgets :)

geek_suicidemonkey, Jun 10, 9:09 pm

Thank you all for the advice.

geek_lakinmae, Sep 1, 10:58 pm

Share this thread