Are there any sought after computer parts, pre2005

I have a huge stack of motherboards, CPU, hardrives and plug in cards for them.

Are there any specificly sought after parts that people want before they get sent of for recycling?

Or what should I be looking for?

geek_marte, Jun 23, 7:49 pm

No

geek_lythande1, Jun 24, 7:17 am

If you hold onto anything with gold in it, they'll be worth a heap when gold goes to $20,000 per ounce (currently $1800).

geek_r.g.nixon, Jun 24, 7:52 am

Thats actually my intention. There is Gold in the computers, but because its in so many different forms its impossible for the 'above average joe public' to get it out.

If any computer part, even with the Gold in it, is worth more than the Gold price if I can sell it to someone.

Most cpu have about 0.1 gms of Gold in them.
Modern small size and pinless cpu are about 0.05 gms Gold.
Theres a older cpu, huge rectangle with Gold plated cap and two bolts sticking out the top which has 0.5 gms of Gold in it.
Ie, get 70 of them and you have a ounce of Gold!( in theory. )
K5's, triple Gold, pins, base and cap, are about 0.3 - 0.4 gms.
I have 3 of them.

geek_marte, Jun 24, 12:31 pm

effort vs reward. why do you think they send it off to 3rd world countries to extract the gold ?

geek_black-heart, Jun 24, 12:40 pm

List them. find out.

I once listed a graphics card that I thought would only fetch a max of $20 if I was lucky. Suddenly there were hundreds of page views and the graphics card was bidded up past $300. It was a pre-2005 computer, and it turned out that the card was sought after for older computers that couldn't take better ones.

geek_dawn1, Jun 24, 10:37 pm

That's insane - you could buy a much more modern PC for less than that.

geek_vtecintegra, Jul 25, 10:54 pm

Share this thread